Best amp for alpine 12" type r's

Username: Bwsheets

Post Number: 1
I currently have 2 alpine type r 12 inch subs. I'm pretty sure they're the 4 ohm model. I have them hooked up to a jl audio 1000/1 amp. I believe this is too much power for them and I'm not too happy with the sound. So I am going to buy a new amp. I was considering buying either 2 alpine m650's or 2 mtx 4501. That way I have 1 amp for each sub. The reason I am considering the mtx amps is because I might sell the alpines and get two mtx 8500's instead. I don't know what to do. What do you think?

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck78

Post Number: 67
ok...

1. how are the subs hooked up? all series, all parallel, mix of the two?
2. how do you have your gain set?
3. what kind of box do you have them in?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4774
Billy, everyone will agree with me. Are you Dumb or what??? you should be more than happy with a jl 100/1 pushing those subs. Maybe you have wrong settings or you don't like the way your subs sound cuz there's no logical explanation to your statement.

IMO don't change that amp and check your settings.

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5......ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 448
Juliob...Funny and true

Username: Bwsheets

Post Number: 4
1. The subs are wired at 2 ohm if that answer's your question
2. the gain is turned almost all the way down
3. they are in a good quality slot ported box.

Juliob.. malik... fk u both, i came here with questions i was not looking for criticism. My amp keeps overheating. I've had 2 jl 1000/1 and 1 13w7, all of which have screwed up in different ways. For the prices that jl charges their products should be more reliable, everything jl i have had has given me nothing but trouble and i don't want anything jl anymore. I've had 3 sets of mtx's and I have loved them all. So, i was thinking about getting 2 mtx 4501 (one amp for each sub because I've seen other multi-amp applications that have been great) If i like the way it sounds with the type r's then cool, if not i'll get 2 mtx 8500's.

I know the settings on the jl probably aren't where they should be, I don't know what most of it even means. But the subs don't respond to certain higher frequencies of bass.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

I walk around like I g..., Yea thats ab... Half a brick...

Post Number: 8503
Its prolly the LPF...

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4784
Bro, jl is high quality so if you're f.cking everything up, maybe you should check your head cuz seriously a JL 1000/1 is great for those type Rs.

Bronze Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 52
That amp is very good (don't buy a different one). What makes you unhappy with the sound? What does it sound like? Just describe it best you can. Also could be box.

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck78

Post Number: 70
Don't take it too personally Billy, it just gets annoying when people spend $1000++ on stuff and mess it up b/c they don't know what they're doing..

About the box, did someone make it for you or is it a prefab?

Here are a few things on setting your gain properly, you'll see a huge increase in performance. Get yourself a DMM at Wal-mart for like $20.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143
That walks you through exactly what you have to do to properly set your gain.

http://realmofexcursion.com/
Go to Downloads and download the 50hz test tone.

And it's not possible to wire 2 DVC 4ohm subs to 2 ohms, if each sub is wired to 2 ohms then your amp is seeing a 1 ohm load. You'll need to rewire your subs so the amp sees a 4ohm load. Do it like the second picture.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qt y=2&woofer_imp=4

Rewire then set your gain. After you do that set your low pass filter(LPF) anywhere from 80-100hz, more or less turn it a little under halfway up.

If all this doesn't work and you have a prefab box, have a custom box made for you, the difference will be like night and day. I'd recommend www.fishercustoms.com

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 389
i have a lovely mbquart raa1000 amplifier that will supply them subs with 1000 at 1 ohm, i'll just trade ya for the 1000/1 if ya want :-)

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5......ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 452
B4 U say Fk Malik get it right it's I- Malik Douche.....It was funny...LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us