Installing extra speakers?

Username: Nighthawk871

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone. I've searched all over the internet, yet I couldn't find a deffinate answer to my question.

Basically, I have a 91 Jeep Wrangler, and I was wanting to put 2 extra speakers behind the driver/passenger seats. My father found and gave me 2 Jensen 120 Watt Dual Cone 6"x9" speakers (Were going to go into the Impala before he sold it, but didn't have the time). My Jeep has the two front stock crap speakers (left one doesnt work), and it has a 2 speaker overhead sound bar.

Now, my questions is how do I go about wiring the two extra speakers up? Do I have to buy an AMP for the speakers, or can I wire them up with the normal speakers? I am pretty good with electronics, but I am stumped at this. Does anyone have a good diagram or instructional thing to show me how to do it? Any advice and tips are very appreciated. Thanks for helping!

Username: Shak180

Hayward, California Usa

Post Number: 8
if you wire your speakers into the wiring for another speaker it will just split the power over two speakers so now u have 2 speakers that sound like 1 speaker

your best bet is to run the other 2 speakers off of a small amp and you should be fine

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 24
If you don't care about it going real loud you can also use a booster, they are cheap and the EQ can help it sound better. Run 4 speakers with that and if you run the other two run them off the deck. An amp is always best, but little booster EQs are great with little systems and low watt speakers.

You can run 4 speakers off most decks, running 6 can be done but deck might not like going 2 ohms. Speaker is 4 ohms and if you run parallel its 2 ohms, in series is 8 ohms. I have done it, it depends on the deck though its likely not recommended.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4827
what i just did in my friends jeep is since their is no real place for speakers i built a box that goes in the back between the wheel wells for 4 speakers. that way its easy to take out when we go off roading. and atleast he has some tunes when driving around.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I've seen some smaller 5ch amps go reasonable on ebay, that would work nice. Get some good dash speakers then make a small sub box. You can get high excursion 8" subs cheap on the net, make a downfire box and get some spraycan bed liner to finish it off. Yeah I know, its just money...

Post Number: 2
Okay, thanks everyone. I was looking at my Jeep, and thought of something. Could I just disconnect the stock front speakers, and wire the new ones using the old wiring? All I would have to do is solder/heatshrink a longer wire and run it to the back. Would this be possible without shorting anything out? I figured since the driver's side one doesn't work, and you cant even hear the other one, I might as well just put the new ones in instead. Would there be any problems with this? Thanks again!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Should work fine. If you don't have any wire you can use lamp cord, I use it for speaker wire all the time. It is very durable and cheap for stuff not high powered.

Post Number: 3
Thanks! I have a bunch of heavy gauge wiring for fixing my team's airsoft AEG's that should work well for the job.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us