Tuning Slot Port

Silver Member
Username: Kaprese

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 218
Alright I have a old pair of SVC 4 ohm 12" Pioneer TS-W301R subs rated at 150rms.I have a box it's just that I haven't cut out the ports yet my box is 33" long,16"tall,and 16"wide. Alright my question is if I was to place both subs in a single chamber box with 1 port do I combine the port area, because specs. recommend a 3"diameter and 9" long port.Also these subs can play down to 28hz,so can anyone tell me the best way to tune my box can you also give me the diameter and length of the tuning you recommend.

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 219
So if each sub needs 3" x 9" port, the diameter of the port on the box would be 6" instead..... kinda loss

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 220
Also you might have to calculate the volume by using the measurements I provided and then give me a good tuning freq. but please include measurements]

for example= "Tune the box to 40hz and the length and width would be ......"

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ = SoundSplinter RL-s

Post Number: 14172
just go with a basic port area configuration for a box. like 12sq in to 16sq in per cu ft.

that box will be around 3.5 cuft net so go with around 40-45 sq inch port. if you want to be more aggressive then go with 50-55sq inches of port.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5614
"Alright I have a old pair of SVC 4 ohm 12" Pioneer TS-W301R subs rated at 150rms.I have a box it's just that I haven't cut out the ports yet my box is 33" long,16"tall,and 16"wide. Alright my question is if I was to place both subs in a single chamber box with 1 port do I combine the port area, because specs. recommend a 3"diameter and 9" long port.Also these subs can play down to 28hz,so can anyone tell me the best way to tune my box can you also give me the diameter and length of the tuning you recommend."

ok you got 3.83 cubic feet internal with internal measurements of 31.5 by 14.5 by 14.5 as far as port area you wont need tons on 300 rms 600 rms worst case so go with a port 14.5 by 3 inches wide (43.5 square inches of port)... ill work up the length for you in a sec

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 221
thanks guys for helping me out I really don't know much about find port area

Gold Member

Post Number: 5615
its easy multiply height times width for a slot port

for round ports its half the round port times itself times pi 3.14 so for a 4 inch round port its 2 x 2 x 3.14 = 12.56 square inches

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 222
so what would be the height and width of the slot port for my box?.... also don't forget I am making 1 port for 2 subs in a single chamber

Gold Member

Post Number: 5616
i no still working on it not a quick process

Gold Member

Post Number: 5617
the box tune is rally low and taking up alot of room for a slot port.......do 6 2 inch pvc ports 16.5 long and mount them on the side of the box that way you can take advantage of the 31.5 inch width that will give you a 28 hz tune an aprox 3.60 cubic feet of space net after the subs and port and a low port volocity of .04 which is good

ps make sure the prs dont get in te way of where the subs sit internally

Gold Member

Post Number: 5618
"ps make sure the prs dont get in te way of where the subs sit internally"

should read "ps make sure the ports dont get in the way of where the subs sit internally"

Gold Member

Post Number: 5619
that port volocity was .04 if you use 600 rms its .03 at 300 rms...I dont suggest 600 rms on those subs they will fry

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 224
Alright thanks sean but is there way I can just have 1 slot port facing the rear instead of using 6 pvc ports and what is a good tuning for these subs in a ported box

Gold Member

Post Number: 5632
a slot port takes up too much room and id say try the 28 hz tune you might like it

Gold Member

Post Number: 5633
a sfar as the ports on the side at least that way youll have two sides to choose from

Gold Member

Post Number: 5634
if you dont like the 28 hz tune you could always golarger on the pvc ports later and that will raise the port tune....all you would have to do is make the holes larger and insert say 3 inch or 4 inch pvc ports

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 225
alright thanks sean I am about to begin working on the box I will show pics at a later date
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us