Battery upgrade and now voltage is worse...

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 984
Okay, i pull 1528 watts

- i have an HO 200amp alternator + big 3 + 0 awg everywhere

-I just replaced my autozone wet cell Duralast 40 dollar batt.

-I got a Kinetik HC1400 to replace it and (going to) put an HC2400 in the back...

well i did the swap, and now my voltage drops lower than it did when i had my duralast under the hood..

is it becuz the KHC1400 needs a partner in the back for the amp or what...

I planned on getting a large battery for the back, but i mean i thought i would see the same or an improvement with just the hood swap out...

...tomorow im gunna put my duralast back in unless someone has any ideas?

very dissapointed to say the least...

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 747
what kind of alt is it and how much does it drop and what amp is it

Silver Member

Post Number: 992
iraggi alternator (200 amps)

it drops alot earlier in volume levels than it did with my Duralast battery, say on the same songs i play with my duralast, @ volume 46 the voltage does not drop... but now with the 1400 the voltage is dropping a good 1-2 volts easy...at the same volume on same song...

t10001bd btw

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3568
Perhaps it's because of the Kinetik's faster discharge rates.

Silver Member

Post Number: 997

Gold Member

Post Number: 3569
I need to talk to you on AIM about all of this Andrizzle.Umm I'll be on I don't know when :-( After 5:30 I'll try to help you out,add me. Getripped84 there's a few things that I can tell you so...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6345
Andrizzle, what's the lowest voltage reading you're getting now? If it's above 12.5v, then you're still good (alternator is providing all the power).
Was your new battery fully charged before the install?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5571
this happened to my buddy...he had a stock alternator (60 amp) and battery under the hood and he added like 800 dollars in batteries and his spl score went down like 1. something db

Gold Member

Post Number: 3570
"If it's above 12.5v, then you're still good (alternator is providing all the power).
Was your new battery fully charged before the install"

You should have said if it's above 12.75 because that's what Kinetik batts rest at Isaac.If he's below 12.75 his batt needs some maintenance.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 5070
Did you charge the Kinetik before installing it?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2243
^^^^ x3. You can't rely on your alternator to charge it to where it needs to be. Even though Kinetik's come fully charged and ready to go as they say: "if you install it within 30 days", you never know where your batt was stored and for how long so it is always a good idea to throw a DMM on it and see where the voltage is before install. Sounds like yours just discharged some and it needs to be topped off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 999
my aim is 'yuhpy'

Also the battery is brand new (yea brad, i thought i t was full charge ), my dmm is broken so i cant check it, but my headunit has voltage read and it says 12.6-7ish when the car is off, and 13.7-14ish when the car is on

im gunna go get another DMM tomorrow probbaly

Will autozone charge a kinetik for me?

Silver Member

Post Number: 1000
Okay, u guys can psot some more ideas here if u want, i gotta go to work. :[

Gold Member

Post Number: 1001
bump, just got back from work

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4815
maybe you just have a bad connection. rob, it wouldnt be from the kinetiks fast discharge rate. that would keep his voltage higher unless he was sucking alot of current for a while

Gold Member

Post Number: 3574
^If he dumps his batt faster than his alt can charge it would be a problem Mat.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1004
well im off work tomorow night so hopefully some of u will be on AIM/in chat room so i can maybe get some more help, i know rob was offering to help, but i work all night, come home sleep all day to wake up and go to work again at night. Hardly have time.

Also, something to add about the voltage situation:

I am starting to think a connection or something is faulting - its just a feeling, i think i had a dream about it, cuz before i went to sleep i was layin there trying to figure it out in my head... i think im gunna check all my contact points tomorow

Bronze Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 34
go buy a dmm. if you're below 14v id get a new alt or adjust your voltage regulator

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4820
what i ment rob is the bat can only discharge so fast. and he isnt going to loose all his bat reserve to cause his voltage to drop more then it would from the duralast halfway threw one song. the fact that if it was fully charged it can put out more power for a while then the duralast so he should have better voltage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1010
update... after a couple days driving - my battery is doing alot better...

i havent got my new DMM yet, i been working so much, but i think all the driving to and from work and i made a couple side trips, has charged my battery up.

so sinc ei havent been bumpin hard. I tested it out and went ahead and crankt it up for a couple seconds and the battery was taking it like a champ...

So did my alternator just charge the batt to its full potential or what? lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us