Detailed port question.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1842
One of my friends wants me to make him 2 different boxes, (one SPL, one SQ/SQL) for his 2 ED 13ov.2s. Instead of making 2 boxes, on the way home from dinner tonight i thought of a way to make it all in one box. I would have an internal box volume of 4cuft and then add an external slot port tuned to both 40hz and 27hz.
It would look something like this...(your looking down at the top of the box, with the ports firing back)
Upload

Of course you could not have 2 ports like that because the tuning would be all messed up, but what if you blocked the part to 27hz, like so.
Upload

It would then be tuned to 40hz for SPL, but if you wanted to to listen to some everyday low bass you could take out the blocker and cover the 40hz hole, like so.
Upload

I have never seen a box like this, i dont think im the 1st person to think of it, (i hope not at least) because it seems like a very simple way to have 2 seperate ports. This would only work on a system that had an external port, but i make almost all of my boxes like that, i think its easier.

I wanna hear some of your input guys, it probably wouldnt work for some reason, and im kinda worried that it might make alot of port noise, but it would be worth a try.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12032
as long as you can seal off that divider door, you're good.
several ways to do a variable tuned port, but I like your idea.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 280
that looks like a great idea. but how would u seal off the opening u cant keep sealing it everytime u wanted to switch. it would be a pain in the azz. or u could come up with some sort of locking mechenism. and have a seal inbetween.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ = SoundSplinter RL-s

Post Number: 14131
nice idea jake.

i like how you were thinking about box design on your way home from dinner. lol. i usually think about it before i go to sleep at night.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1843
thanks for the quick feedback guys.

I havent really thought about how im going to seal it yet. I was thinking maybe doing it double baffle on the front and trying to make groves for it to fit into, like this...

Upload
Upload

However if i did this i would have to be able to take the top off easily so that i could slide it in, and it still doesnt fix when i want it tuned to 27hz...so idk. i guess i need to keep thinking OR SOMEONE NEEDS TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR ME! thanks :-)

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1844
that means you need to think of something for me Chad aka "Mr. I have more posts than anyone else".

Platinum Member

SQ = SoundSplinter RL-s

Post Number: 14132
rather than screwing down the top, why not use those latches that closes the tool box. get the heavy duty ones that close real tight. you can line the top of the sides with the speaker tape so it becomes air tight.

Platinum Member

SQ = SoundSplinter RL-s

Post Number: 14133
something like this but the heavy duty kind. it will close the top down harder and put pressure on it so it will make it airtight. i've seen someone do it to the door of their spl car cause all the bass was trying to make the door open. there are some that are big and heavy duty.

Upload

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1845
haha kinda ghetto, but i like where your heads at. It would be like a treasure chest!

Platinum Member

SQ = SoundSplinter RL-s

Post Number: 14134
well if you paint it black you can make it work.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1846
Yeah, i dont really think i could carpet it but im not really worried about how it looks as of right now. I still need to think of a way to seal the 40hz hole when im tuning low too. I know marshall bolts his boxes like this...but idk how to do that.

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1613
He just uses T nuts and then foam gasket to make sure that it seals air tight. That would work fine to plug up the 40 hz hole.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 5069
Here is my interchangable port how-to:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/650399/6

Hope it helps you out.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1847
thanks marshall. ill keep that in mind.