Ohm load ????

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 286
i always wondered this but now it seems more apparent with the speaker variations i been trying. i got 4 speakers put on my newly bought pioneer deh - p4900ib with no amp only hu powering. i got 2 infinity ,60 watts rms at 4 ohms a piece and to alpine type - S, 50 watts rms . now at higher volumes my lights on the radio get a dimming type of blink with bass. even my old pionner the same deal. i'm thinkin the new infinity add on to the front from the pioneers i had in the doors cause this with ohm load. my thinking is if i wire like i wire a sub for ohms, can i require less power drain on the hu and solve the problem? the hu manual says it's capable of maximum output 50 x 4 - 50 w x 2/4 ohms + 70 w x 1/2 ohm (for subwoofer)

continuous power 22 w x 4 (50 hz to 15000 hz) 5% thd 4 ohm load, both channels driven

load impedance 4hom to 8 ohm x 4, 4ohm to 8 ohm x 2 + 2ohms x 1

wtf does all this mean ????? am i wired up right with one speaker to each wire on my hu?

or could all this just be do to a bad ground? even though it's a factory ground.

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 525
Im not really sure if it's because im tired or not, but for some reason I can't seem to understand what your saying here. Im not really sure if this is what your asking or not, but your Pioneer head unit is sending 22 watts RMS to each speaker in your vehicle.

As far as you should be concerned, as long as each speaker is wired up correctly, there shouldn't be any problems and even if the speakers were wired up wrong, the only difference there would be would be less bass coming from the speakers. So in short, your speakers are not the problem.

I don't believe you specified if you had some subwoofers running in the back but, if not, then you must have some faulty wiring going on behind your head unit. Best way to solve this would be to crack open the dash and see if any wires are loose or not connected properly. If you do have some subwoofers running in the back, then the answer lies within purchasing a more powerful alternator for your vehicle.}

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 13
Higher ohms take less power to drive, but it should drive what it says it will. You may not be getting enough power from your factory hot and ground powering the HU if the lights in it are dimming. I have not used HU power in many years so I don't remember if any did that. I had one car I ran 6 factory speakers and had a powered sub and it worked nice don't remember HU dimming.

If you are running a sub on the HU, even if it can I would not recommend it any longer than you have to. Amps are so cheap get one. If you are then it may dim and you should put bigger power and ground wire to it. I have picked up smaller amps for <20 on ebay, nice ones like alpines even.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
yes there are woofers runningbut whati posted was right from the manualso thats what was confusing me. i wired up numerous times and only the light on the volume knob would give shimmer but today driving it seemed to be fine. might judt be that the hu is new and wearing in a bit but idk weird stuff i was just trying to get opinions from other ppl.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
i'm only powering 4 speakers off hu btw, infinity 600 rms amp powering alpine type - r sub. i know my stuff just unsure on the hu cause never powered the speakers but ijust might go for it.

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 15
Don't expect amp style results if you use the HU to run speakers, but you can of course.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us