Help....

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3307
My trunk is a PAIN IN THE @SS to get a good sized box in..... but its a big trunk.. i want to get atleast a 4-6cu ft. box in the trunk ported to about 40hz... its going to be ran on a zx2500.1.

The thing i am going to be forced to do is build the box INSIDE of the trunk, any suggestions on ways to piece it togethor so it can come apart if needed to? like panels or somthing.... i can always reseal with new silicone if needed... but its alot of work it looks like... and im not to sure how to get all the calculations with all the angles...

Bronze Member
Username: Csuho

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 14
it shouldn't be that hard to get a 4 cube box in there. what are your max dimensions? and what is the trunk opening measurements?

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, IN United states

Post Number: 467
Please explain why u want such a huge box for. Porting to 40 is porting to 40 the size isn't going to matter after that at least I don't think it will. That's why I'm asking.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1451
just take out the back seats in your car and then slide the box right into the trunk

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11773
or use 2 10s (u could probably make separate boxes so it can go in) it will be very close in loudness to 1 15" ......

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 947
A larger box will make the sub more efficient at the frequency the box is tuned to.

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 2203
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

Gold Member

Post Number: 3309
Koz, nick answered that.

I tryed doing measurements so i could slide it in from the backseat.... not possible. THe opening after the sheet metal goes down makes it only about 14-14.75" which would not work for a 15" sub firing rear... I could get away with using a 17" tall and maybe 35" wide box but then it would look terrible. I have lots of issues with whats going on and am start to think the only way to do what i want is to build the box IN THE TRUNK rather then build it then put it in.... and with that i am just worried i will do somthing wrong that will throw my tuning off.

If i was to build the box inside the trunk my thought for connecting the boards the easyiest was..... Get a bunch of L brackets, and screw it all from the inside and silicone over every place possible to leak. I would probally use a total of about 20 of them, about 4" total for each, 2inchs each direction. WOuld that throw my tuning off because of the airspace it takes up.. im not sure how much they take yet but i will find out later when i get a good measurment of one and just multiply it by the number of them used. ANy ideas on how i should do this?

BTW with the burp box in my backseat even with the amp gain set low, my windsheild vibrates like crazy you can see a slight wave in it... it didnt do that to the old ride, rather just had the wipers jumping. but this was also on more power..... but does that seem right for a car\suv windows and SPL? im just curious about that one...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3310
btw KOZ i need the box to allow the sub to handle the zx2500 daily so far from what i have noticed the big boxes like my old 12cu 40hz (for 2 9515's) turned out the best, if i bought a suv i would still use it. I would try to sell it since i have no use for it now but its so big and heavy i doubt anyone wants to pay that shipping LOL. Also 40hz it is because i noticed when it gets tuned lower it doesnt like as much power without starting to heat up stuff a bit more. (VC's) im happy with 40hz tuning on these, althought 40hz sounded like @ss on my last setup.... but then again it was some power acoustic subs...

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
Yes I read nick's answer, and forgot to thank him for that.

May I suggest using the brackets that they use in furniture. You can get them at almost any hardware store. You could then predrill all the holes and put the box together along with gluing it inside the trunk. add a few screws and some glue and that should cover that.

Your only other problem I can think of would be the carpeting of it. If you so desire.

Tools need for the cam locks are a drill (preferably drill press) about a 9/32 drill and a forstner bit the size of the cam locks.

I'm sure you know what I'm talkin about, and maybe ROVIN could explain it a little better than I.

As I said just a thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3312
well carpet isnt a concern of mine at all, i only need to carpet the visible side of the box and the rear board where the seat comes down. What brackets are you refering to, also everything will get pre-drilled and assembled before making it into the trunk for final build, and seal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
They are called cam bolts. It's the little 2 piece mechanisms you use to put knockdown furniture together. I've been all over the net trying to find a pic of them with no success. But I'll find em somewhere. Well I'll try really really hard. I really think that's the ticket for you getting that big box in the trunk. Now it's back to bed I need some sleep.

Silver Member

Post Number: 477
Well I've been to 1143 different sites and still can't find a pic of the cam bolts.
At this point about the only thing I can say is you have 2 alternatives.
1.--I would imagine you have a ACE Hardware where you live. I know ours carry them, so since it's a chain store I would assume yours would also. I would think all you would have to do is tell one of the people that you need cambolts, if they ask you what tell them the little alum. mechanisms for putting knockdown furniture together.
2.-- Go to Wal Mart--Target--Kmart, someplace like that and buy one of those cheap pieces of put it together furniture, take it home pull the nut and bolt bag out. Then you will have what you need. Take that back to Ace Hardware show them, so that it will ring a bell. (By the way a lumber yard or a Lowes--Home Depot--someplace like that should also have them.

Take the original back home, put back in the bag and return the piece of furniture to wherever you got it from.

I know our printer stand (that came from Wal Mart) is put together that way. they work great.

You will have to take a little extra time to lay things out, because the hole location for the cam and the lock is pretty critical.

But ease of putting things together is worth it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8193
I think koz is referring to a cam dowel and nut. Am I right?

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 478
That's them Where did you find that pic.

Besides that don't you think that would be the answer to KiLLa's building the box in the trunk woes??

You don't really need the 2 plastic pieces. The larger of the 2 is just a coverup piece for the cam I belive the smaller of the 2 is a plastic threaded insert for the the cam dowel. You can use the dowel with or without.

Anyway thanks for finding the pic Paul. I was about ready to learn how to put pics up on ecoustics. I got some of those out in the garage, and a digital.

Well I hope that helps you out KiLLa

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8207
Hey, I'm the picman lol. Those are really very common in office type furniture.

Will it serve a good purpose here? My guess would be no. High SPL tends to vibrate everything and I'm sure those connections would be in question. You would need a glued/screwed joint for best results.

IMO!

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3488
Do what Kevin previe did.Cut the box in half and then put it together in the trunk.Then mount your sub into it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3322
I think L Brackets would do better, im still going to be hitting in the 140's those will fall apart, also they break easy (broke a few putting my computer desk togethor) i was thinking maybe like 4 pieces main pieces then bracket them togethor and seal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
That was my point exactly. I think I would use these just for ease of putting the box together, not to replace the glue and screw, although I am petty sure that you could do away with the screws. I would think that at the mating edges all you would have to do is run your bead of glue and then tighten the cam bolts like always. They should provide pressure to hold the box together until the glue sets up.

Based on 1 thing I learned on this forum the screws don't hold the box together, the glue does.
besides a drop of glue on the cams after they are tightened up should (I would think) would hold them in place.

But this is all just my opinion. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there for consideration.
Trying to think outside of the box so to speak, while still being in the box, literally.

There seemed to be some concern of these breaking apart, or coming loose. If you look at it in these terms. Most boxes are put together in the conventional way using glue and screws. I know of no person that glues the screws that they use to put the box together. And I have never seen the screws in a box vibrate out. This being so in car/trucks hitting in the 140-160 range.

But as I said b4 it was just an idea for use and ease of putting the box together.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us