Hybrid with a System

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 872
My brother and I were talkin about somethin and I said "i'd take a hybrid car but too bad i couldn't put a system in it because I bet the alternators tiny if not non existent"

he then kinda thought that because (to those who know how hybrid cars work) somehow the hybrids batt(s) are charged by the car braking, that a hybrid would be theoretically the best car for a system because a large amount of power is created by the car braking...so much power that the car can run and drive on it.

SOOOO anyone know anything about this, idk i guess i'm bored and maybe he and i are just morons with too much time, probably the latter, but hey just for fun, lemme know waht you guys think

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4785
there was a big debate about it on some other forum, and basically it seemed that no one really knew.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ = SoundSplinter RL-s

Post Number: 14073
if i am not mistaking, the hybrid cars are not 12v.

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 937
hybrid cars produce like 70volts and if thats the case, point out an amplifier that con run longer than 7 seconds on 70v :-)

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio DD Z1 you wi...

Post Number: 270
go through car audio and electronics archive they had one in there with a system it explains how they did it

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 238
yea i always wondered that too. it would be nice to have a hybrid car. but putting a system in it might be a b!itch

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 239
yea i always wondered that too. it would be nice to have a hybrid car. but putting a system in it would be a b!itch

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8172
Off the net:

" Hybrid cars use a combination of a gasoline motor with a high-voltage electric motor. There also is a 12-volt battery under the hood, similar to those found in conventional cars.

The electric motor operates on voltages as high as 500 volts, more than eight times lethal voltage."

As well:

"The Honda has a 144-volt battery pack. The Toyota Prius is 276 volts. Officials say about 60 volts is fatal, but a person could be killed with as little as 20 volts if the skin is wet."

I found these when reading about the safety hazards involved with firefighters who approach a burning car. With the voltage the hybrids are capable of it's easy to see their concern.

So the gasoline engine is coupled with the 12v battery when used. I would assume there is an alternator as well. If the alt is spinning when the electric motors are used I have no idea. I'm no hybrid expert but I'm just throwing it out there.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1007
Sounds like a burp machine too me :-)

Kevin

PS: I have always wondered the same as well.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6334
In Hybrid, battery is like the life line. Why in the world would anyone mess with that? Try replacing those batteries. It'll cost you thousands of dollars.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us