Bronze Member
Username: Xfacta82

Post Number: 83
Here is my setup that I just had installed

-CDT HD-62 components in front
-CDT CL-69x in back
-Pioneer DEH-P680MP
-US Amp XTerminator 1600.4

My question is this. The installer hooked my 4 channel up to just the front speakers and tweeters. He then wired the back speakers to run off of the head unit. My original intent was to wire the front and back off the amp. He said his way would be the best choice. Now, the front sounds very good and clear, but the back speakers are barely audible (even when sitting in the back). Will hooking my amp up to the back speakers produce more sound and more bass? Is this what I should do?

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 314
Yes, hooking up your rear to the amp will sound much better IMO. But here, you will get mixed reviews becuase most, do not prefer any rear chn at all. IF they do, its usually only rear fill. So good luck with that. I woudl honestly suggest that you hook it up both ways and determine what is best for your ear. I personally would hook them up to the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1296
i would also prefer the rear to be amplified.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4772
sell the rear speakers you dont even need them.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Ascendant Audio Arsenals, Chicago Ima graffiti...

Post Number: 1482
do whatever mat dope tells you. in terms of value of advice he ranks just below god in my book.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
So i should amp the back speakers. Will this take away from the front power since he has the tweeters hooked up to the amp? Can the tweeters run off the head unit fine?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4775
hahaha thanks pit.

SETH you should not change the way it is set up. you have nice front speakers. to be honest you dont even need your rear speakers at all. really you dont want music comming from the back because it ruins your imaging. if for some odd reason you are dead set on making your back speakers louder get a 2 channel amp for them. but really all you need is a small sub to pick up the low end instead of rear speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
I just have a hard time dealing with this...i dont know, lol. I know you know what you are talking about and the installer knew what he was talking about, but I dont understand how having sound come from the back can ruin the imaging. Ive heard many other cars where I can hear the back and that sounds good to me.

I guess you know what you are talking about. I can just wait and get a 2 channel amp later down the road.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4777
try driving a few days with the rear speakers fadded off.

think about this when you go to a concert where does the music come from? well ill give you a hint, not the back.

some people just like rear speakers and hey if you like it you like it.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4778
and incase your wondering you can hook up the crossover so the front 2 channels power the mids and tweets and then the other 2 channels power the rear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1483
seems to me rear fill is only of value in really big vehicles like a suburban or van or something.

someone posted a link once that had a really thorough explanation on rear fill and sound imaging and stuff....mat do you have that link? i was too newb at the time to care to read the whole thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1484
it was something with the word "case" maybe...something like that

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4782
http://www.wickedcases.com/tutorials/index.html

this is glass wolfs site, the server is down and it has been for a while. i dont know if he plans on bringing it back or not. you can also go to bcae1.com for some info on rearfill.

Silver Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 331
Ya, def some good info on that site. And Dope does know what he is talking about. But as it applies, note (for Seth), you dont have to have good imaging to have good, clear, crisp, and powerful sound come out of your speakers.

Thats one thing people often get confused when they recieve advice, is that they misinterpret whats really being said. Having a rear channel will NOT make your system sound bad, it WILL however, just like MD said, interfere with the Imaging, and to ad to that, the Dynamics. You have time of flight issues between F & R, as well as directionality issues. These things can factor into a not so good sound stage. There are however HU that can take care of this.

IF you dont care about any of this, then dont worry bout it. Its important for techinical music appreciation, enthusiasts, or competitions. And with the nice set of comps you have, I assume you might be in that category.. . . but you could just have too much money for your own good (lol).

But Having a rear chn will just give you more sound. And you do have a rather nice set though. But I feel as if something is missing with only a front channel. I will say though, that in my car, the front is slightly higher in volume than the rear. But like Dope said, do it both ways, and drive with the rear off for a couple days, then bring in the rear till its just noticable. Make sure the attention of the sound is still in front to ensure a good balance, but not perfectly balanced. OR, just run them at even volume.

And yes, when Im at a concert, true, the sound stage is in front of me, but its at such a high saturation and volume, no matter where Im at, or what direction Im facing, I can hear it just fine. IF you only have a front chn, unless there really good, you will not saturate your entire car. But who drives in the back seat anyhow ? I guess that woudl only suck for the ones in the back seat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
but you could just have too much money for your own good (lol).

So you are saying people who buy really expensive equipment (competition purposes) have all the power up front?

I just bought it to have for driving around. I just want it to sound the best it can. What is the best setup for making it sound crisp, clear, powerful, and full?

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 319
ive been continmplating rear speakers for a while now and ive came to the conclusion that i am going to get a 6.5 inch copm set up front and a 6x9 comp set out back because i have 9 speaker locations i might as well use them. also i am going for more of a show car then a sound car and imo having speakers in the back is better becuause it give you another place to put some LED's haha and it just gives a fuller more surronding sound and since i watch movies in my car i like the have the theatre effect.

Silver Member

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 354
YEs, they either have more up front, or JUST the front as Matt is suggesting. Hell, Im sure if they had the opportunity, they woudl just put all the comps up front (lol), and omit the rear, though you would infact have the same set up, but with GREAT front stage. But Matt is saying they are good enough by themselves, and they might be, I never heard them, but have heard great things about them.

Personally, I appreciate sound at 4 points, and Ive yet to really hear a set that is fine alone by themselves, with the execption of my QSD's that I have, they sound fine by themselves, but I have a rear comp set in my car as well. My front is definately more dominant than my rear, but well balanced, & focus is still up front. But, liek MM said, he does movies, and his is for show. It makes sense, it works for his application of surrond sound.

But I say, if your not into technicality, or you dont know the difference, go front and rears. You wont notice the difference or interference in imaging if you dont konw what it is already. I have been to concerts where the band was in front of me, but there were speakers surrounding the place, and it sounded AWESOME, so having a front and rear wont make it soudn bad, it will just degrade the technicality of it all. And yes, having your set up dont right, can donate to a better sound if done correctly ! So, I guess is what Im saying, try both, and make sure ypu are listening to a good format of music, no 128kbs mp3. Make sure you are familiar with a song inside out, Every single sound/noise/tone ! Listen to a bunch of songs, and what ever pleases you most, go that way, but make sure you give both of them a fair chance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us