Ohms and Impedance?

Username: Zoso2366

Post Number: 1
First off, sorry if this should go in Amps.
Okay, I've been doing a lot of homework and the subject I seem to be still a little unclear on is the ohms/impedance. This is my question.

I have an Audiobahn A6004T 4 channel amplifier that I'm going to use to power 4 Infinity Kappa 5.25" Coaxle speakers (the audiobahn was given to me).
The description of the Audiobahn says:
75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (150 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms). The Infinity Kappas say their impedance is 2 ohms. So...
1A)Do they have to be run at 2 ohms?
1B)If I plug the Infinitys in, are they just going to run at 2 Ohms? or are they going to run at 4 ohms?
2)If they are going to run at 4 ohms, would I be better off running them at 2 ohms, or is 4 ohms fine?
3) If i'm better off running them at 2 ohms, how do I get the amp to have them run at 2 ohms?
And one last thing, if you come to an answer where you're going to say "its you're opinion, or its up to you" please give me your advice if you were in my shoes.
Thanks for the help.

Post Number: 2
Also, I haven't purchased those infinity kappas but through evaluation, i've decided on those. I never quite considered componant systems. One main reasons being because I dont have a place to put the tweeter. If i'm putting 4" infinity kappas in the dash with a small 2channel amp up front and 5.25" inf. kappas in the rear, would it make that much of a difference to have 5.25" inf. kappa componant system in the door with tweeters and where would i even put the tweeter? I'm also pushing 2 10" parallel infinity subs in the trunk of another amp. So, componants necessary with the 4" dash? or is 5.25" coaxle inf. kappas fine? and if componants, suggestions on location of tweeter?

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 312
If the impedance on the kappas are 2 ohms, then when you hook it up to the amp, the amp will see a 2ohm load, thusly running at 2ohms. And Yes, you will get more power from the amp like that.

a) when you hook the kappa up to any amp, it will be @ 2 ohms, that is assuming you hook up only that one speaker. You cannot change the impedance of them.

B Yes, It will always end up in a 2 ohm load. Unles you hook up the 2 in series, then you can acheive a 4 ohm load.

2) You cant make one run at 4 ohms. You can only run them in series with each other (2 + 2 = 4 ohms). Honestly, depending on the amp, it might sound better at 4 ohms, but I'd run them at 2 ohms each like thier supposed to be.

3) You are better running them at 2ohms, all you have to do, is hook them up normally and they will be @ 2ohms.

If you dont have a place to put(factory), or mount them, then go coax. But I would go comps on the front if you could. You can mount them on the A-pillar, between wisheild and widow. But if you have not means of doing that, go coax in the door.
Hope this helps, anymore questions, let us have it.

Post Number: 3
that answers all my questions. thanks for the help Nicholas. i really appreciate it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us