Musical Bass

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 826
Started jammin to some random rock songs, some old, some new and quite frankly, the bass sounds too...idk, like rappish and ghetto...here's my question, (I have ssd's) is there any way to make them sound more musical on rock or just sound more realistic or please just be honest, is it the ssd's, i know they're not really SQ woofers, but whatever.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 1076
Get the Epicenter,you will sh*t your pants.

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 828
haha i hope thats a good thing, haha jk i know it is. but if i were to get like an idmax or a dub 6 would there be a huge difference or is it all about the signal (epicenter)

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3017
Epiccenter will do the opposite of what you want, it alters the signal from the way it was intended to sound.

Based on what you described, the first thing I would do is RTA and equalize the system (sounds to me like the frequency response is way off for whatever reason). Of course, you need an EQ in the system, and access to an RTA to do that.

What is the box tuned to? Generally, tuning it lower yields better SQ and the sub plays lower, at the expense of higher frequency SPL.

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 837
yea the problem is like bass guitar on some songs and some other instruments (sorry i can't specify which) dont sound like it would in a real concert. Might sound like a rediculous thing to say, but a system can't recreate instruments like a concert can (granted their equipment is $$). I don't want it to sound like ghetto boomy. Yes, i like how it slams to rap, but i want it musical when im throwing on some other stuff.

well, the box is sealed, haven't gotten around to building a ported one because I figured if anything, i'd lose SQ

Don't mind me asking, what is an RTA and what does it do?

Thanks again for all the help

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 838
also, it's not just like old rock n roll, its like idk ahah goo goo dolls and dave matthews and other bands like that, where its not really like hard and loud and lacking bass, its there, but it just doesn't sound great, but M.S. it sounds like you know where i'm coming from

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 841
bump for some knowledge

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SEALED IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13965
cal the bands you mentioned don't really have strong bass to begin with. i know cause i like those bands too.

like twizid said, you can get an epicenter and it will restore some bass in those songs. remember, if you turn the bass knob all the way down its almost like you don't have it at all.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3039
True chad, but hes saying the bass that it does have isnt sounding good. Hmm, sealed box..... an air leak would cause this..... have you checked for that? At the seams, terminals/wire connectons, and around the subs?

" Don't mind me asking, what is an RTA and what does it do? "

Real time analyzer

http://www.bcae1.com/specana.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/tuning.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SEALED IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13971
yeah check the install first. most music can do without the epicenter. i took mine out. it didn't compliment my sub at all after i switched to sq.

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 845
i checked for air leaks and i couldn't feel any and i mean the subs sound great, don't get me wrong. They sound awesome when im bumpin rap or anything like that...

i just thought of a good comparison. (I know there may be a world of difference) My brother has some 5.1 computer system with a 10" sub and that thing sounds awesome on all the bass guitars and all that, but my SSD's just don't sound up to par.

Haha idk maybe I'm picky, but I like to be able to jam to anything. I found out today that those rock songs sound decent with the bass on like 0/6 which is still decent, subtle, but decent. Don't get me wrong, it's not distortion, but whatever.

Aftermarket EQ = Worthwhile investment?

And Chad, did the epicenter (or the PA Bass10) ahve a noticeable difference on rock groups like that?

Thanks alot for your time guys I'm learning quite a bit here

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 846
Correct me if I'm wrong....

You use the RTA and watch the different HZ levels and adjust your EQ's, crossovers, etc until you have a flat frequency response and, theoretically, your system should be tuned about correctly at that point (other than some small personal adjustments)

Haha i could be wayyyy off. Also where do I find an RTA or is that a little too advanced for me. Could a local audio shop have one and be able to help me?

Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1783
i believe what you really need is simply some midbass drivers.

you will get alot more of the nice drum sounds and whatnot with them.

i think your problem isnt necissarily that your subwoofer isnt playing the sounds as well as you want them to, i think your actually LACKING those sounds and need some smaller drivers to really fill them in...

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3048
Cal: thats right for the most part. My guess is that the system has a big peak in it and thats what your hearing.

Termor: If thats it the problem it would be revealed if he RTA'd the system

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2954
What you really need is to alter your listening habits OR put your subs into a sealed enclosure. A true SQ system would consist of this, much flatter responce... Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 847
Polo: subs are in a sealed enclosure

M.S.: Again haha, where might i locate an RTA

Tremor: I'm thinking abuot picking up some Cadence CVL 6.5 comps or some Crystal SSCS6, those components would be amped, they would provide some sufficient midbass i believe....true?

Thanks again guys, ahah yea polo i might be too picky considering maybe I'm expecting some unattainable level of SQ from kappa coax's and 12" ssd's haha, we'll see though, i think eventually I might run a dub 6 or a pair of RD classics or the new SQ line of AA products, but we'll see.

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 852
bump

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1320
the cvl 6.5's are a good choice :-)

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3062
You could probably find an audio shop that would do it. The TL and audiocontrol SPL meter system are also RTAs.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1784
cal, sorry to reply so late but through a search for the cadence set they would probably be nice and the crystal set im assuming would be nice as well.

make sure to amp that set well, though.

if you have back doors or somewhere to put some other midbass drivers you should get some and amp them too. ascendent audio's new 6.5 polymids should be out soon and they will rock and be cheap as dirt.

i used to have a pair of elemental design eu-700s that rocked for metal and stuff with drum beats that werent too high or too low. they really filled the whole section from where my subs were cut off from playing and where the 6.5" from my component set sucked at playing.

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 857
alright cool man i'll definitely look into those

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2960
Better fix--- Buy a great set of headphones! Polo.. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Nvmyboom

Post Number: 246
do u like ur ssd's, i just bought a pair, not hooked up yet

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 314
how much is the audiocontrol SPL meter and where can you buy it?

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 863
yea i like mine alot, they slam dude
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us