Sub blew again for the 3rd time now what

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 466
ok this is really starting to bug me this is my 3rd 15" kicker l7 i blew this time i even turned the bass boost off and set the gain not even in the middle and it played for about 2 days and blew apart again. idk what to even do anymore because i set the amp really low and it still blows. what else could be the problem i have a really really big box tuned to 35hz and i have the sub facing upwards because it wont fit in the trunk standing straight up could the box have anything to do with the problem because idk what to do anymore

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 773
its people like you that give L7s a bad rep

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 5039
what do you mean "blew apart"?

as in the surround of spiders ripped?

if so, did you have your SSF set correctly?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7931
When you say really really big box, just how big? Too big a box can mimick free air.

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 774
i was just playing but you should check your voltage i think your clipping the sub

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2583
what are you feeding it? As far as rms?
What amp, what vc L7? whats the box size? A 15 L7 will take 1500-2000 wrms easily.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 468
how do u check the voltage how would the voltage damage my system tho. the box dimmenisons is 37.25" x 17" x 14" tuned to 35hz

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 469
it has the kicker zx1000.1 amp so its only gettin like 1100 watts. its wired at 2ohm

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 776
hahahahahahahahaha how would the voltage damage my system thats a good one

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5......ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 390
Do you have a DMM? you just cant put the gain at halfway...there is no way you should be going through L7's like that.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 470
no i dont have a dmm, and thats why i was wondering if the big box would have to do anything with it its 37.25" x 17" x 14"
tuned at 35hz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7934
That's around 5cu's. Shouldn't be the problem. You sure it's wired right? Have an angry ex with keys?

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 471
what else could it be do i need to get a new battery or sumthing or alternator my alternator is 90amps. could these be the reason why the sub keeps ripping apart and i mean ripping apart by the black plastic part near the voice coils.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7937
The spiders? No, you said plastic, hmmm. Sounds like over excursion. Three in a row is pointing to the install/settings. A bad alt could mean clipping if the power isn't there. Do the lights dim?

I have zero experience with Kicker so I'm just throwing sh1t out there.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 472
no the lights barly dim at all thats why idk what the problem could be. the longest the sub lasted out of the 3 was like 2 days. and i turned the bass boost off like ppl recommended and i still get the same problem. Does is sittin cuz i have the box laying down with the sub facing upwards cuz the box wont fit in my trunk standing up

Gold Member

Post Number: 7939
No. $20 DMM is next. Let's make sure the numbers are good. Your gain should be set according to voltage not "around half".

All I got. My drink is empty.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 473
where can u get a dmm at and is the directions self explantory on how to use it. and what should the numbers be saying

Gold Member

Post Number: 7940
Radio shack, home depot, even sears for $20. Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm4aaC87ARg&mode=related&search=

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 797
with a 90 amp alt, he should be fine

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 474
so with the dmm when i go to use since my amp is zx1000.1 which is 1000 watts is that what im gonna be looking for on the dmm meter?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7942
Here you go.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

Gold Member

Post Number: 7943
Looks like 44.7.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 475
i got the pioneer premier mp780 and i have the equalizer set to vocal and the loudness on because it makes the music sound better? couldnt i still set the gain by leaving that stuff on because thats how i listen to my stuff

Username: Flakko

Post Number: 2
its called clipping. i like to set the gains by ear. play a song that bangs, or use a 60hz test tone and turn the gain up gradually until you hear stress on the sub then back it down a little until you dont hear it anymore.

if you can't do that, dmm liek stated above.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7949
Turn it all off. Gain, BB, loudness, it all. You're looking for a base level to set the amp's gain to. Did you read the link?

"Disconnect speakers.
Turn your gain/input sensetivity all the way down. Turn off bass boost and any crossovers.
Turn on your head unit. Set the volume control to 3/4 of full. Set all equalization and bass/treble controls to zero. Turn OFF loudness and BBE processing.
Probe your amplifier's outputs.
Insert your tone CD. Select a tone within your amplifier's playing range.
Play your selected tone and adjust the gain until you reach your target voltage.
Reconnect your speakers and verify proper operation. Set crossovers and adjust levels for proper tonal balance."

See, now I'm turning to rum.

I like rum.

This is where the picman comes out lol.

Naw, just kidding.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2122
What ohm is the sub?
How big is the port?LxW

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 152
brings up a intresting point, not to jack a thread but simple question, since my hu is wired to my speaker is it ok to set my gain with the speakers connected?

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 476
this is the box im using for the 15 and i still dont know why 3 l7's went by that fast and only lasted for 2 days the longest.
http://cgi.ebay.com/15-CUSTOM-KICKER-L5-L7-SUB-BOX-S15L5-S15L7-3FT-3-35Hz_W0QQit emZ170124653583QQihZ007QQcategoryZ18804QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5......ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 392
The box is not the problem...Do you have the correct VC settings for your subs? Are they 2 or 4 ohm,
This may help you out
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 477
yes i know its wired correctly because when i wired it wrong before the amp wouldnt let me play and would just go right into protection mode. the sub is dual 4 ohm wired down to 2 ohm load.

Silver Member
Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 473
How come in the video, it looked like he had speaker wire hooked up, and most places say disconnect your speakers? Hmm..

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5415
yes i know its wired correctly because when i wired it wrong before the amp wouldnt let me play and would just go right into protection mode. the sub is dual 4 ohm wired down to 2 ohm load.

A) a dual 4 ohm can only be wired 4 or 2 ohms how is it that the amp wouldnt come on? it should come on at either ohm id think

Gold Member

Post Number: 5416
opps i meant 2 ohm or 8 ohms

Gold Member

Post Number: 5417
are you sure your port is tuned right???

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 478
yes i know it comes on when it was wired wrong but everytime it tried to hit the protection light came on like it wouldnt let teh sub play.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3018
What I'd like to know is why you kept buying L7s 3 times are each one blew........
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us