Lpf and subsonic setting....

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 906
so box i tuned to 38hz so subsonic should be set at like 35-38 right? i heard u should go a few hz below ur box tuning, and the lpf if the highest it will play right...so where should it be set, for some reason i remember hearing around 80hz...? that right? thanks...this is the last thing i gotta do to get my system bumping...

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1990
Yeah you want to set it pretty close to your box tuning. In your case I would put it at about 35. The low pass is determined by where your front stage speakers are crossed over but anything above 100hz. or so isn't very pleasant sounding from a sub. Due to the relatively high output of frequencies in the 100hz. range there will be a peak there anyway, so let's say your sub is low passed at 80 and your front stage speaks are crossed over at 100-120... this will create a fairly flat response.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2940
My box is tuned to 38hz, my Subsonic (HPF) is set to 25hz, my LPF is set between 70-80hz dependant on music. Just because your box is tuned to a certain frequency does not mean it will not play lower, the output will just be reduced (rolloff). Originally a subsonic filter was designed to catch recording errors and frequencies below 20hz hence "subsonic" that could possibly damage your subs. All of HPF settings will very on how good your subs suspension is, some can play a mean free air and some will bump the backplate, lol. You guys do what you want, but for accurate music reproduction you may need a sub-subwoofer to play the lower tones, lmfao...Polo..

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1999
Polo I know what you're saying but most subsonic filters have a slope of either 12dB or 18dB so those lower frequencies still make it through at a loss comparable to the natural roll-off of the driver. And how many rock songs have any appreciable output below 38hz anyways? I would hope that you aren't listening to that rap drivel nowadays

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2941
Ummm Brad I am a die hard "music" lover I listen to anything from Madonna and no I am no F@G to Chicago, Young Jeeze, all the new stuff, Bad Boy Bill, Old rock, new rock Metallica, which most of there drum beats roll off around 32hz to Motown oldies like AL Green and Smoky Robinson. I like it all even a little country like Garth Brooks, Feddy Fender, and of course my favorite Shania Twain, must have videos, lol. You are right using the HPF it does have a rolloff but some are targeted at between 12-18db/octave some may be a little steeper. The HPF always has a higher cutoff rate because they are the most unwanted frequencies and damaging. One thing you have to factor is that the tuning of the box has a pretty steep rolloff so using the slope of the SS filter really isn't necessary. Set it to around 30hz if yours isn't all that adjustable. My amps are adjustable from 10-80hz for the SS and the rolloff from 6-24db/octave so I can butt it right up to the limiting factor of the lower frequencies and use a steep as heck slope to stop it any further that is why it is set to 25 hz and not 20hz, for the slopage, lol. When I get the new box mounted which has to be soon sold my backup set I will play a 20hz tone for you guys, it is a trip sooo quite but yet sooo loud just pure pressure baby... :-O...Polo..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us