HELP: dual 8181 wont power up

Username: Msnell901

Post Number: 1
OK... so I bought a dual 8181 yesterday and started installing it. Matched all the wires up and tried a test run.. It worked perfectly!

So, thinking we were done, I started to set the unit in the console while my friend worked on my e-brake ground.

I turned the player off to avoid any problems. After the e-brake ground was installed, we took it for another test to see if the DVDs would play and unfortunately, the 8181 wouldn't even turn on.

After about 2 hours of trying to troubleshoot (what we thought was a small) problem, I found that the problem lies somewhere in the ground wire of the harness (not sure if its the stock, wire, or in-dash).

Before I worked on my own car, I had it "professionally" wired. They bypassed my stock harness so the only thing that it was used for was the power, ground, and a few others (don't think it's really important for my problem).

One confusing part is those jackasses made an extra ground that leads to my airbag fuse.

So to sum it up, I have 2 ground wires to choose from..
1. The stock ground - takes some wiggling around of the in-dash harness but will eventually turn on and play perfectly. The in-dash stays on even when I take the key out of the ignition (dont think this is supposed to happen lol). If I turn it off, it will not power back on until I detach the ground wires and reconnect them.
2. The "professionally" done SRS fuse ground - makes my in-dash and warning lights blinks rapidly and makes my gauges jump CRAZY! (Don't think using this wire would be an option)

ANY information I could get for this problem would be a great help. Thanks in advace!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us