Fiberglass

Username: Epidemic_wat

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 1
can i fiberglass a prefrabicated box? what do i need?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

I make it rain.

Post Number: 8171
mmmm I love Rubens.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7817
You can fiberglass Logan if he'll sit still long enough.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 601
lol no one answerwed his question... I perfer Wendy's lol.....

If you talkin about takin a PRe fab box, i dont see whynot, if u take off the carpet, then apply resign and so on......

Yo will need a razor
Resign fiberglass
Alot of time
a drying source, the sun is the best
a fiberglass or resign brush

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 109
add ona mask and well ventilated area. the better answer to the question why some of the top enthusiasts said nothing is it's pointless. your trying to save money on something that is like beating a dead horse. for the price of materials and amount of them u could easily build your own box setup for less then messing with that one. and to all i think hes asking bcause on most audio shows like the one on speed or pimp my crap from a junkyard. they resin over a material that looks like carpet thats on a pre fab box and thats just pointless. or lastly he's re shaping the box to look better. imo a pre fab box is just the same as a built one in terms of what it was built with. most are mdf and carpet with a good sealent and that's the basis of most boxes out there so it's pretty much do able but just dosen't serve a logical purpose.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 604
i agree it is pointless, but if that what he wanna do then i'll tel him how.. oops i forgot about the mask

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 2
do i just spread the resin on it or do i have to buy the fiberglass mat and then put it on the box? the reason y im askin is becuse i went to a locall shop and they had a box covered with the resin no fiberglass mat and were lettin it dry. he said it didnt need the mat becuase it already had wood as the mold? is this true?

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1484
Yes. No need to use a mat if you are just putting the resin on the wood.

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 4
do i still need to bondo it afterwards.

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 5
any one ?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1797
masks are optional...:-)

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 761
we got a huffer

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 6
do i still need to bondo it afterwards

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 7
i finished the box and put the first layer of resin on it i let it set over nite. i checked it to today and its still not dry should i put it out i the sun.

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 9
ook can some one help me. i got don with my box and came out good now im going to do my my doors. do i have to use 3/4 mdf. or can i use just regular plywood? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2981
are you talking about your speaker rings? If so, use mdf.

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 10
well this is the thing i took off my door panel planing to get them upholsterd. i did my speaker box and came out good. so i was thinking instead of paying the guy 200 dollars a door i was just gonna put a pice of wood over were the door panel was and start fiberglassin it? or shouldm i just but resisn on the door pannel its self? its made out of cloth?

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2982
makes a whole new door starting from scratch would be hard. Its all about how you want it though. Do you want it truly custom or do you want it to still look stock but altered. As for me, I'm fiberglassing over my current door panels. Go to www.stevemeadedesigns.com, Theres a Thread called "Just Me" or my projects. Look at the honda civic rebuild thread where he fiberglasses his door panels. www.fiberglassforum.com is also a good website.

Bronze Member

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 11
do i have to put bondo over the resin still ?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2609
Depends on what you plan on doing for a finish. If painting it. Yes, Bondo fills all the air holes from the resin, then sand off the bondo with 1500 for a smooth glass like finish. If carpet. Your done.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2983
sand with 80 grit for carpet, sand with 220 for vinyl, and sand with 440 and up for paint. Don't use bondo, use rage gold or any evercoat filler product. It will also help strenthen the project. You can also use duraglass which will strenghten the project even more and then put body filler above that for a smooth finish.

Bronze Member

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 12
well i just went to kragen and they had bondo jelly,bondo glass, and one called body filler with a pictuer of a old school mustang on it?

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2985
Look up automotive paint supply in your search engine with your zip code. They should have rage gold, rage extreme and all that. I don't hear any good things about bondo so I wouldn't buy that brand.

Bronze Member

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 13
dame they are all closed its sunday?

Bronze Member

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 14
do they got any thing at walmart?

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2987
no, local automotive paint supply store! You can use that bondo if you want, I just wouldn't recommend it. Up to you.

Bronze Member

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 15
how many of layers of bondo do i have to put on the box?im at 3 already and still im having problems becuase it leaves holes in it.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 3004
I told you to get evercoat rage. why didn't you listen, thats the problem with bondo, it leaves holes. And the quality of it isn't as great. Anyways, if it keeps leaving holes, mix half resin and mix half bondo, its called a milkshake. Mix, then at the end add the mekp, mix. And then brush the mixture onto your project, that should reduce holes hopefully.

Bronze Member

Clovis, California U.S.

Post Number: 16
k man if i new it was going to be this much trouble i should of just went to a audio shop?how long does it take u to make a sub box?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us