Need help on subwoofer box

Username: Graysilv

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 2
I am a new member here. I dont really know much about systems, so maybe someone here can help. I recently built a ported box for my chevrolet silverado regular cab to hold 2 10" db drive subs, but to my disapointment it does not sound good at all. I dont know how to calculate port size or anything so i just guessed. In the pictures below are the measurents of the box. Can someone give me some measurments that will work? Each sub requires about 1.25 - 1.66 cu ft of air space.

[IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/graysil/IMG_1536.jpg[/IMG]

thanks in advance
geff

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3261
Hahaha,nice picture.

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 3
anybody??

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7779
Nice gun.

Upload

What do you have the port dimensioned to now?

It's hard to guess what the top dim is.

As a guess in left field the box isn't too far off in size. The length of the port would help.

Is that gun loaded?

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 4
thanks,
the port dimensions are (H=10.5 W=2in D=14)

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1432
That box is 2.15 cuft after port displacement and is tuned to about 38.5 hz.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

I make it rain.

Post Number: 8159
Damn your on it.lol

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 5
would you by any chance have any suggestions on any measurements to make it sound better? In the red picture i drew, where it has 0-55 it means how long it can be, but right now it has 46in, all the othere measurements are exact.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5391
do you have he theil small specs on your subs.....and what are you looking for more bottom end?

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 6
yes i want more bottom end, i was told that with ported box i would get a lot more bass. i dont have them, i went to dbdrive.net to try and find the specs, but i only found this

http://dbdrive.net/html_english/07_speed_subwoofers.html

the are the 10" dual 4ohm voice coil

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1433
Ohh ok then the box is smaller than what I said and it is tuned higher.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5395
make the box as bigg as you can 14 x 14 x 55 external gives you 4.83 cubic feet internal

Gold Member

Post Number: 5396
and use two 4 inch pvc ports 8.5 inches long youll have a 36 hz tune

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 7
if i do it 14x14x55 the center seat will not be up to move up and down because it would hit the box. The the biggest i could probably make it would be 14 x 9 x 6 x 57. If i use these measurements will it work? what should the port size be? Does a square and round port do the same thing?

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 8
ttt

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 9
ttt

Gold Member

Post Number: 5398
2.8482 cubic feet without split chamber but use a split chamber and use two 2 inch pvc ports 5.25 inches long in each chambe and use 1.50 pounds of poly batton in each chamber that will give you 2 cubic feet per chamber and a 36 hz port tune....trust me it will work it makes the sub think its in a larger ......i need to redo the ports its not enough port area but im gonna post this cuz I gotta go

Gold Member

Post Number: 5399
here you go.....

2.8482 cubic feet without split chamber but use a split chamber and use three 2 inch pvc ports 8.75 inches long (in each chamber) and put the ports on the top of the box and use 1.50 pounds of poly batton in each chamber that will give you 2 cubic feet per chamber and a 36 hz port tune....trust me it will work it makes the sub think its in a larger box .....it will make the subs think they are in 2 cubic feet each

Gold Member

Post Number: 5400
thats using these demensions you gave me (14 x 9 x 6 x 57 external)

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 10
thanks sean, I drew a sketch from what i understood in your post correct me if im wrong.

[IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/graysil/box.jpg[/IMG]

Bronze Member

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 12
i messed up, i put 55" instead of 57". Let me know if thats what you meant.

thanks

Bronze Member

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 13
sorry for the ignorace, what is poly batton and where can i get it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5404
you are correct bud lemme find the poly its at walmart I think ill check

Gold Member

Post Number: 5405
i meant 57 with the batton ill find it brb

Gold Member

Post Number: 5406
this i what it looks like wallmart sells it for just a few bucks...its in sheet form like that

http://www.wholesalepillowinserts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Battin g

Gold Member

Post Number: 7902
Have you ever tried cheaper products for fill Sean? I've used carpet padding in the past and it always did the trick for me. Cheap, available anywhere, and colorful to say the least lol. I've never used actual poly, wondered about the difference. Is there much of one?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5408
no havent used nything diffeent but I know for sure that trick works I posted about .....i tried it......port tune went from 46 hz without poly to 39 hz with it

Gold Member

Post Number: 5409
heres the site im refering to

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Gold Member

Post Number: 5410
if you do a test with both let me now.....if I do ill do the same for you

Gold Member

Post Number: 7903
Yeah I've added that site to my favs, thanks. Somewhere in the back of my garbage filled brain I have stored a post from Glass stating damping only gained a maximum 10% in volume. I always stuck with that. A 7hz difference is quite significant. Poly is indeed a "tool".

Gold Member

Post Number: 5412
yeah glass posted that a while back but this guy used equipment to prove his rsults and I verify it in reguards to the 1.4 cf ported

Gold Member

Post Number: 5413
i wanna do smaller boxes sometime and see the results

Gold Member

Post Number: 5414
and we did the poly batton loose

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2046
Dacron is what you guys are calling "poly" and it has been heavily tested by computer to be superior to other materials because it slows down bass waves in a linear fashion and it also cancels out internal reflections that can get back to the rear surface of the woofer cone which cause cancellations. For what it's worth, most of the high-end companies use dacron because of these findings.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7905
Sean I'm looking to do just that in the future with a smaller drver(s) in a HT application. I'm curious as to how "deep" a sound I can tune into a small box. Simply as nothing more than experiemental. I've used 10, 15, and 18 inch drivers with great success. Now, the challenge is getting as close as possible results with let's say several 8's? Just for kicks, I like to keep busy.

Funny you mention high-end companies Brad using Dacron. Bose is considered in the consumer industry as high end and anyone familiar with build quality knows that is as false a statement as any.
Cheap paper cones, thinly built boxes that are designed to only be opened by the trained person, mainly to hide the crap inside and draw service revenue.

Don't mind me, I'm just a Bose hater. All ad hype and no bite.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/125990.html

Bronze Member

Mcallen, Texas

Post Number: 14
Sean,
are the ports in the correct place where i drew the sketch??? When i put the fiberfill inside do i just put tossed it in or do i have to paste in nicely in the inside or what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5425
staple it in and make sure you have clearance for the ports in that placement making sure the batton doesnt get in the way
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us