Bass Boost?

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 450
Can somebody explain exactly what the bass boost is used for on a amp because i keep gettin different answers like some people dont even use it others say dont even go past halfway. I didnt think bass boost was a big deal but my sub keeps blowing and ppl said turn the bass boost down. Any help

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 452
bump

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7682
A little something.

http://forums.carreview.com/showthread.php?t=2354

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1910
http://www.icixsound.com/iv/view_video.php?viewkey=c13838ff95ccfa94cebd

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 453
ok so i have a bass remote for my amp to so like what should i have the bass boost set to on the amp without damaging it. and if i have the bass boost off wont the sub not hit as hard so thats why i thought by turnin the bass boost up a lot it makes the sub hit harder and louder?

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1913
Throw it away is the lesson you should have learned by that vid...

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 456
yea but i still wanna be in control ova my bass with the knob so wouldnt it help if the turned the bass boost on the amp down a lot but then could still use the bass remote

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1915
The bottom line is that if you need a bass boost at all you need to redesign your system.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 457
why would they make it tho i have a kicker 15" l7 with a kicker zx1000.1 amp but i just thought the bass remote and bass boost would give ur the sub even more bass and why would they make the bass boost and bass remote feature then?

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 775
not all remotes are bad. steve mead uses a remote in his car to scare everyone and he knows what he is doing.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 458
lol yeah so what does everybody usully set there bass boost on the amp to

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1918
Steve Meade knows exactly what his system is capable of at all times and he only uses a bass boost for quick bursts. Bad example.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 459
alright so what do u have ur bass boost set to on ur amp do u have it completly off?

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1920
I never use one like 99% of the members here don't use one.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 460
so u have ur bass boost on ur amp off and what about ur gain and xover. i wonda why nobody really uses the bass boost since they made it on the amp

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 778
it makes the amp sound more high tech. people think they can get an advantage because their amp has bass boost. you should have it off, but if you really want more output then you can set it to 4-6db

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 461
alright so it is for more bass output then which is what i really want

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 5023
Ok...here is the one thing you should take away from this thread:

BASS BOOST WILL NOT MAKE YOUR SYSTEM LOUDER!!!

Bass boost is just that, a boost centered at a given freq. Most of the time 45hz. By turning the Bass Boost up, you will be a spike around that freq., but you will not get more power out of your amp.

Overall, the only effect you will get (if your gain was already set correctly) is you will drive your amp into clipping at ~45hz.

Some companies are actually doing away w/ bass boost on there amps...(EX: DD M-series amps)

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 462
so if my friend turns his bass boost off or just up a little little bit will it still be as loud as before cuz i always thought bass boost makes the sub hit harder and thats why me and my friend use it all the time

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7789
I would stop using it all the time. Bass boost is not a power feature but more of a frequency dial. Too much of anything is bad. Keep it clean and low.

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 711
its just easier to call you a moron lol im joking but if you really feel like you need to turn it on then you should just get a better amp if your system is set up correctly there will be no need for the bass boost

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 463
well i got the zx1000.1 amp which the bass boost goes from 0-18 so its not a on and off switch i can actully adjust to where i want it and im tryin to figure out a safe postion to put it at if i use it

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 715
We are all trying really hard to help you but you are hard headed man, bass boost is bad, bass boost= clipped signal, clipped signal= damage to your sub, so dont use the bass boost period

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 5028
The best position for a bass boost is at 0.

Set your gain correctly and you are set.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 202
bass boost is for people who dont know how to bump the right way.... or if your that desperate then save up for a bigger amp and have more bass then and save your stuff from destruction.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 147.8 db Mov...

Post Number: 3606
a lil BB is good and a lil BB will help your amp reach its peak....

i have mine less then 1/6 of the way.
as long as your gain is set correctly thier is no need for BB

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2937
Some modern amps use the bass knob as a remote gain adjustment, the target frequency usually around 40hz is just added to the signal via the little dial on the amp, Kicker is one of them... Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 112
if u want it to hit harder leave bass boost alone and dial in your frequencys. try going to 80 hz on the low pass filter and work around that. i think your main problem is how i started i tried to fix the lack of bass by turning knobs not knowing wtf i was doing.u need to use the gain calculator and find atarget voltage, once that's done u gotta adjust ur low pass to nail that hard hitting bass otherwise your just gonna keep effin stuff up. ur amp prob has a subsonic filter to , on that i'm not up to date since i don't own any amps with it. in general though learn a lesson and set things correctly. then if ur system is weak you know it's the wquality of what you own. it's like my oldsmobile i can't throw nitro in the tank and go blowin ppl off the road in drag races. it's going to destroy my car cause it wasn't made for it. now if u built a race car like steve's system u can add little burts of boosts like nitro in the race car but if u own a olds you just can't do it. understand what all of us are saying? you can't turn a knob and make it all better, just set things right.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 464
yea this all does make sense i just think if bass boost is so bad then no amps should have them at all.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 147.8 db Mov...

Post Number: 3620
BB are made so nubs can blow amps and have to buy new ones!!!

bass boost the anti bass

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 746
hahahahaha Chris got Owned

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2943
^^^ BB are made so nubs can blow amps and have to buy new ones!!!

bass boost the anti bass

How about the newbs who can't build boxes and end up blowing there 9515... Now who's the newbie B00Bie? :-O

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3200
LMAO!!!!!!

If you need bassboost to make your sub loud... get a new amp.... BB basically gives your sub a dirty\clipped signal in a sense

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2945
"If you need bassboost to make your sub loud... get a new amp.... BB basically gives your sub a dirty\clipped signal in a sense"

Ummm, no it don't... :-O Polo..

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 751
so then Polo enlighten us with what bb really does

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3205
lol polo i meant that to the people who dont no what bb is.

BB basically will make your sine wave flat at the peaks rather then rounded off witch cause the sub to make a change fast rather then gradually with the sine wave... im pretty sure atleast so it basically jumps from one amount of power at the freq. to another faster then it should witch makes it more peaky and sound louder...

correct me if im wrong but thats what i heard im not 100% sure but im pretty confident its right

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2946
What bass boost actually does is ellongate the wave form for that particular frequency range. What this means it actually stretches the wavepattern, makes it taller that is why when you turn the BB up your sub tends to have a higher excursion, thus more bass. How much BB you can add before the output actually clips depends on the amount of amplifier gain, HU input and the music playing. Adding BB isn't bad but too much can make the msuic peaky, some like this because it makes a cheap sub sound better. The reason why it makes a cheapy sound better is because it only boosts a defined set of frequencies and in a sense keeps the sub tight around that area. BB isn't all that bad just the fact that your ears get accustomed to a certain loudness and over time doesn't seem so loud so a newb may turn up the BB to help compensate for this, bad idea. Now if a person was to have a remote adjustment (bass knob), stuck to 6db and less and had the ability to recognize when enough is enough then there is no harm. Now some modern amps actually use the remote knob to attentuate the gain meaning that when you turn the knob down the gain goes with it. The high point of the main gain is set on the amp using your target voltage, this sets the endpoint so using the knob only brings it to this point and below cannot go higher unless you turn the actual amp gain up. Now the BB is introduced like a single band EQ, another adjustment on the amp for kickers it is adjustable from 0-18db, separate dial. Now with a kicker if you decide not to use the BB the remote can still be used to remotely turn the gain down, some songs are recorded differently so this allows you to reduce gain for those over bassy songs and allows you to keep HU volume where it is so that you components are the same. Now if all music was recorded at the same level with the same amount of bass, etc then ideally setting the gain and having no BB would work. Honestly I would prefer to have a 100 band passive EQ myself but that is a PITA, lol. Playing songs with too much bass has the same effect as adding BB so when you add a bass CD after listening to Berlin it does the same thing, just elongates the waveform so with all these people knocking BB need to realize that by changing CD's you are doing the same thing and the worse thing you can do is not having a remote adjustment when the too much bass situation comes up. I can clarify this better later when I wake up, to early in the morning for this sh!t...Polo. :-O

Bronze Member
Username: Sqhoe

Huntington, IN USA

Post Number: 28
Bass boost on Kicker amps...leave boost at 0 on amp and set gain with the remote gain control set at max. I have never had a problem with it done like this.

Silver Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 145
Lot's of good information from everyone!! I don't ever use the bass boost or loud button! I do use the sub amp remote control, I listen to such a variety of music and some songs don't sound as good with to much or to little bass. With the remote knob turned full my amp is adjusted to correct level. no more!! I have spent to much money on my system to ruin the subs or amps. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3319
I hear ya on that mesodumm as long as caution is used when using your system you can enjoy it for a loooooong time.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 465
yeah thanks for everybodies help

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2170
Run NO bass boost...botttom line.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums