Looking to replace my 2 12"s with 1 15" - good idea?

Username: Raptor20561

LA, CA

Post Number: 5
as you can tell from the subject, i currently have 2 memphis 12s (the cheap ones) and im looking to replace them with a 15. I also want to buy a new amp since my current one is really weak. The reason why I want a 15 is because I only listen to drum and bass. This kind of music consists of constant basslines ranging from 30-70hz. My 2 memphis 12s were just not cutting it when it came to low basslines around 25-35 but then they would get louder from 35 on up. Is this because the memphis' are cheap or would a 15 be able to hit those low basslines better? by the way the memphis' are in a sealed box.

I want to get as close as I can to having a perfectly flat response curve on my sub so I would assume i'm going to want a 15 that performs well in a sealed enclosure (please correct me if im wrong). Im looking to spend around 250 on the sub. I want SQ!!! The sub ive been thinking about is the alpine 15" type r but will it be good in a sealed box? any other suggestions for sealed box 15" subs?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3158
The reason they dont get loud at the lows would be the sealed box, ported boxes tend to get lower and retain more SPL then sealed for the most part. If you want to keep the SQ and still be loud, your probbally going to want like 3 12's or a better sealed enclosure, is the enclosure BUIILT FOR THE MEMPHIS SUBS or is it PREFAB(Prefab sux and never gives you your equiptments potential output). Looking only to spend 250$ wont do you much good either. I would save up more money, if you want quality... it costs.. but i would personally go ported if you want it getting low and still staying loud.. maybe a DD3500 or somthing of the kind.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2032
Give Memphis Audio a call or a email and tell them the model subs you have which I'm asuming they are PR series. I would build a custom box for those subs before buying any other subs to save money. But hey thats just me and if you don't like how it sounds after that then buy different sub(s).

http://www.rdaudio.net/woofers/sonance.php

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3160
Remember the enclosure is pretty much the main focus of a system. Having good equiptment makes it easier for a better outcome but the box still can make the output MUCH MUCH better, if you dont want to make a new box to specs, you may be able to add polyfill but im not to sure how that works im sure sombody else can tell you. But my guess is its not getting low enough for you you either have to small a box or just need ported.. but i dont think those subs are SQ subs either, grab 1 good 15 SQL sub if you dont like the memphis subs and it should satisfy you if you build the proper enclosure. For around 250$ really i would guess FI BL or somthing... but its still more... but like i said for what your looking for it isnt cheap.

Username: Raptor20561

LA, CA

Post Number: 6
yes the box is very close to memphis' rec. specs for a sealed box.

are brahmas sq subs? how much power would i need to feed a 12" brahma?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us