Installing a second battery

Silver Member
Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 322
I'm thinking about picking up another battery. I hear its pretty simple to instal. You need an isolator and a battery box. I think Im going to build the battery box and carpet it, but I have power wire running from the + on my battery up front to the rear of my amp. Could I just splice an isolator say about 12" away from my new battery and then connect the wire that was coming from up front to the + terminal on the battery in the back, and then take a wire from the negative part of the battery and ground it to the chassi, the same as I did for my ground? Would this help my lights from dimming as much as they do now? Would it help it, so I wouldn't have to jump my car if one battery died?
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1216
u dont need an isolater if its the same battery ..

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1965
u have it right but u dont need the isolator.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 325
its wont be the same.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1966
dammit

Gold Member

Post Number: 1968
by the same he means... if the front is dry cell than the back has to be dry cell... same for wet and gel

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2892
Your not going to ground the front battery?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13617
you should try running another cable for the negative as well.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2894
lmfao

Gold Member

Post Number: 1971
hahahahaha

chadleeisthebest

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1360
Make sure the wire is set up exactly like the pic. You get mad deebeez when you spell Chad with the wire.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 326
the thing is, I can't even get 1 strang of 1/0 wire hidden, let alone a second one..... Isnt the front battery already grounded, and can't I just ground the rear one? What would happen if I didn't do it how chadLee did it, because I just wouldn't be able to hide it. Suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1972
u dont have to add the "chad lee wire" but it would help

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13618
i was able to run 2 0ga cables to the back. you should be able to do it. also running the negative to the back will give you better current.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1976
^^^ true dat

Platinum Member

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13619
here is another diagram.

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11672
if u can afford it would be best to get BOTH batts in the same model both bought & installed @ the same time ......

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 329
I am on a very tight budget, and I wouldn't be able to run the negative to the back without not hiding the wire there.. Is 2 batteries without running the negative to the back better than just 1 battery up front?

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 331
How are the Kinetik HC600's?

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 340
Upload
I found this diagram on BCAE1, and they dont say anything about running a ground to the back as well. Even though it would help, it must not be CRUCIAL. According to this diagram, I would need another inline fuse close to the battery in the trunk as well. Does it have to be the same size as the one up front? The one upfront is an ANL Inline with a 250a fuse. Should this be the same for the one in the trunk, and should I also use 1/0 Gauge wiring in the trunk as well? Thanks in advanced.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 341
Also, could this way (without an isolator) kill my alternator, since it is only stock 110a and it will be trying to recharge both batteries? Would this essentially be worthless without a bigger alternator or without an isolator?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6314
Charlie, on the same site, bcae1.com, it should also have a diagram with isolator.
If you're lazy, then you can do what lot people do, that is run it without an isolator. Sure it's easier cause all it takes is extra power wire. In fact, lot of the idiot mechanics here say the same thing, "slap on extra battery and it'll solve all your power problem, don't need HO alternator at all." So you be the judget.
I would recommmend isolator/relay in multi battery setup.
The ground wire is not required unless you're drawing more than 125A. The car's chassis is equal to 4ga power wire.
If you'll be using isolator, then insert the item right after the alternator in your diagram. Then from there, battery 1 and 2. If you think about it, it's not that hard.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 342
I guess im just a lazy fu*k and dont wan't to pay someone labor fees to take out my alternator and hook up the wire for the isolator, because like I said before, I can not reach my alternator, so that's why I was looking for a way around it.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6315
Well then you don't have much choice. Follow the bcae1.com instruction and use the chassis for ground.
Remember, with audio install, it's a one time fee/expense.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us