Need 1/0AWG Wire 4 Big Three + Lugs

Silver Member
Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 303
I need enough 1/0 Wire to peform the big three. The cheaper the better. Im not sure how much I need, roughly 6-8'? Any input on that matter would be appreciated. Also I need the lug connectors that look like this: I already have 2, so I need 4 more.
[Bottom Left]
Upload

Any advice or tricks of the trade to make this process easier would also be appreciated

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 304
Ok, I printed off directions from the12volt on how to actually do the big three upgrade, and I went out to my car and I couldnt find a damn thing under the hood.. Where the heck is the positive output on the alternator? I coudlnt find where the negative was grounded to on the chassi, I couldnt find anything.. So I took some pictures and maybe someone can point me in the right direction on how to do the big three.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
I dont know why I took the last two pictures..

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1349
To find the from the negative to the chassis just follow the wires from the negative post on the battery and see where it connects to the chassis...Simple as that. And for the alternator the positive connect is on the other side of the alternator than the pulley so you cant see it from your pics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1350
Also is that corrosion all over that negative terminal?? Clean that sh1t off there man.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 305
i've kleaned that sh!t off like 99999 times every day and it still comes back.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3124
"Also is that corrosion all over that negative terminal?? Clean that sh1t off there man."

That's exactly what I was thinking.Go and get your self a wire brush and scrub or scrape that stuff off of there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3125
I believe it corrodes like that from too much resistance.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4603
no its from chemicals, just put vasoline on the terminal and it will help.

you dont have to use the stock ground just any place on the chasis to anywhere on the engine just clean metal and youll be fine. the alt + is on the side the alt that you cant see. reach around with your hand and feel for wires comming out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3129
I can't remember where I read that resistance played a role in corrosion of electrical conductors but I haven't had any luck finding things for references.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3130
However this should enlighten others and myself for the most common causes of corrosion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7412
In a week or two I'll have a good bit of 1/0GA wire for sale. About 200' of it.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 312
In the pic below, there are two wires that come together and are pinched on by the negative part of the battery [circled in green]. When I rewire this, do I have to just cut it off? Or splice it into there? or cut it off completely and put the lug over the middle piece [circled in pink].
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 121
leave your original wire there just add to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1356
I would actually put it where I circled.
Upload

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 313
ah ok, now from there to the engine chassi? Do I have to find a bolt, take it out and pin the other end b/t the bolt head and part of the engine block? It is very crammed in there...
Also, I cannot find wires coming out of the alternator. Can you help me find where those would be in relation to somethine else there next to it, like the oil dipstick? [orange handle]

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4606
just feel around the alt caseing. there will be something sticking out a little with a wire connected to it. try looking from under the car.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 315
I tried but I couldn't even get under there the car was so low, and I can barely get a finger to the alternator, i dont think i'll be able to do the big 3

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 265
you ever heard of a car jack? lol

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 266
i got lucky my alternator is right at the top so big 3 was waay to easy. What kind of car do you have by the way? Maybe someone here has the same car as yours that has done the big 3 and they will be able to help you out.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 318
1994 Acura Legend with Alt at bottom =(

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 319
Ok, on side note, I have another problem.. I ran my power wire a few months ago, and it took like 6 hours trying every way possible to hide this sh!t and get all the trim back on securley. After breaking several brackets and cracking my damn trim strip, I gave up out of exhaustion and just ran the wire on the outside.. Below are some few pix. I want this sh!t hidden! Any ideas? I tried and tried, but It was too buldgey and I couldnt get the trim back on without breaking it.

[Also: I Kleened off that corrosion]
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Also thought I'd show you how I remounted my amp to my box so it's not sitting directly on it. I know its all messy, but when I get a new system, I will build an amp rack for it and have the subs facing me instead of the road behind me.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2547
Dude, Lose that neg battery terminal. Cut the wires as close tto the terminal as bossible. Use a new Neg bat terminal. I found these work well. and put ring terminals on the original wires or use the second type pic terminal and put 2 on the bolt.

Upload

Then put the 0/1 in this style terminal and tighten down.

Upload

As far as grounding.. Just find an area near the battery on the chassis that you can get the 0/1 to. Wire brush it to bare metal and ,( I used the second type of terminal) and secure it with a bolt to the chassis.

As far as alt connection, You probably will need to take the alt out if you cant reach it from the hood.

What?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1359
Sounds like your going to have to jack the car up and get under it. And the ground goes from the battery to a spot on the cars body for ground. And then there is another ground that goes from the engine block to a ground on the cars body you also have to put a wire there. That one is usually a flat woven wire that is not covered in any insulation.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 327
Bump to hide my wire.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 434
I ran my power wire from my battery, under the car, and up into the trunk. Works very nicely.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3141
"I ran my power wire from my battery, under the car, and up into the trunk. Works very nicely."

Try doing this Charlie but make sure to use wire looms or PVC tubing to protect the wire and remember,cable ties are your friend :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3142
I see that you're using a 250 amp fuse.What amplifier are you running there?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1361
I believe he has the kx1200.1.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 338
what are wire looms? Would something like this work good for under the car? I don't want it to have slack or be dragging either... That would be bad....

Well I can't find a picture, but its like a black plastic tubing with a slit all along the side and it wraps right around the wire.

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 2000
yo i have 2 10 ft runs of 2/0 that would be good for big 3... 12.50 + shipping each

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 5576
check my silver 0 gauge wire. i got the negative form the chassis of the alternator str8t to the batterie - and the batterie - to the chassis

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1754
yeah, hide that wire for sure.

i use terminals like in the pic above (red and black terminals) but mine are brass. i solder all of my wirings ring terminals and bolt them down with the wing nuts.

lilrobs terminals are nice but i hate the set screws (and no its not because i strip them out, haha). if you can do the wing nut battery terminals and use ring terminals for all of your wiring it will hold up the longest.

is that knukoncepts lilrob? if so, same wire i use...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us