Tuning with Aero ports?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3106
Im going to build a new box in my CTS for only 1 15" DD9515 on about 1-2Krms, my problem is i dont have much space i want to give up so i have about 40Wx17Hx20D (not exact) but with that i have about 7 cu. available and i want the sub box about 6ft. and tuned to about 32hz so it doesnt get as loud as it did at 40hz, but will get lower.

How do you figure out how many ports you need, the width, and depth of each (how much port area?) when using aeros? also where is a good place to get some, for an idea of what im trying to do....

Kind of like Polo's setup except the box will probally be partly assembled in the car with a battery rack to the side of it aswell tho. (one batt.)

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1937
http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

Silver Member
Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 299
Great program Mr. Ogle, I was just about to suggest that. Also use the12volt.com to quickly figure internal box volume given external box dimensions and you can plug the internal volume from the12volt into the volume space that carstereo asks for when calculating it all. Good luck, let me know how it turns out and take pix wont you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3108
is there anything i should do with DD's suggestiong of 16sq' port for each sq. ft?I want to try to make one box and be happy and done. I dont feel like messing around much with this car.

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1406
http://www.psp-inc.com/

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 300
"is there anything i should do with DD's suggestiong of 16sq' port for each sq. ft?I want to try to make one box and be happy and done. I dont feel like messing around much with this car."

Well if you want your box 4 cubes, then you want a port with 16sqin. x 4 = 64in^2. Figure out how tall you want your port. If its 12" from top to bottom of your port, then divide 64in^2 by 12in, and that gets you 5.333333in, so you want your port to be 5.3333333in wide, and 12in tall. Does this help?

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 301
AERO PORTS!
Reading > Charlie Ried
Use Joe's site, that site looks kickass.

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1407
^ chill out bro lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3111
Charlie you lost me, is that still with aero ports? LOL not slot ports

Gold Member

Post Number: 3118
^Bump!!

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 302
"Charlie you lost me, is that still with aero ports? LOL not slot ports"

I gave you information about how to calculate slot ports, not aero ports.

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1347
Killa each 4 inch port has about 12.5 inches of port area so if you have a 6 cuft box and wanted the 16 square inches of port area you would need 7 ports.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 259
Killa,

It's rather hard to define or should I say translate the difference's in terms of slot/vent ports to that of round " flared " ports since the " flare " curved parts of the ports minimize port noise but also given the amount of the " flared ends " radius determine the ports final length for the tuning you want.

Given the ports area determines the amount at which the air moves thru the port thus creating " vent mach " at which the speed the air moves and at a given point of ft/sec port noise start to occur which is 118 ft/sec.

The calculator Joe referred you to is a pretty d@mn good one to calculate for aero ports, but that calculator doesn't tell ya the info ya need to know in terms of number of ports and at what diameter given the tuning you want based on the volume of the enclosure.

Also, the formula of 12 to 16 sq.in. of port area for each cubic foot should only be used as a baseline calculation because sometime the enclosure design given the subwoofer being used given the amount of wattage the subwoofer will be receiving doesn't always require following this rule because the circumstances of the subwoofer/enclosure design don't always need to conform to this method of port area to cu.ft. ratio.

Here is a calculator on winisd's site that will allow you to calculate the port vent mach based on the parameter's input:
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=ventcalculator

Once you used the PSP site to determine the aero ports you want to use, goto the link provide and calculate if the port decided will or will not be sufficient to maintain the vent mach below the threshold before port noise start to occur.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 260
BUMP

Gold Member

Post Number: 3124
^help me build some plans, got paypal?

I dont want to hassle with the box (building more then one to get the tuning right) because of the difficulty it would be just to build it inside the trunk. 1 9515F on 2Krms 6cu@32hz and aeros. I would need about 96sq. in of port with slot porting... but... building a slot ported box inside the trunk is alot harder then building a box with aeros...

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 308
I about had you a CAD model of a box 6cubes@32Hz with 2 4" diameter aeroports 7.94" deep each on a 40Wx20Dx17T box, but the damn thing closed on me twice. I'll try again... You are still looking for aeroports right, and not slot ports?

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 309
I about had you a CAD model of a box 6cubes@32Hz with 2 4" diameter aeroports 7.94" deep each on a 40Wx20Dx17T box, but the damn thing closed on me twice. I'll try again... You are still looking for aeroports right, and not slot ports?

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1355
2 4" ports are not enough port area for that box.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 310
if its 16in^2 per cubic foot, then 16x6 = 96in^2.
1 4" port + pi(2)^2 = ... Lol Order of operations FTL! Let me recalc that. Some sh!tty a$s calc gave me 50.something for 1 4" port. Lol

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 311
Ok, im not sure how to calculate partial number of ports, but let me show you what I got..

Diameter: 1"
# of ports: 122.23

Diameter: 2"
# of ports: 30.588

Diameter: 3"
# of ports: 13.581

Diameter: 4"
# of ports: 7.6394

Diameter: 5"
# of ports: 4.8892

Diameter: 6"
# of ports: 3.3953

Diameter: 7"
# of ports: 2.4945

Diameter: 8"
# of ports: 1.9099

Diameter: 9"
# of ports: 1.509

Diameter: 10"
# of ports: 1.2223

All of this information is given a 6 cubic foot box and the 16in^2 of port area per cubic foot, and the Frequency of 32Hz is only dependent on the Lv, or the length of the ports.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us