Box Building

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 717
Hey guys, sorry to the box builders, but my dad has a bunch of tools and things and I work at a hardware store and I'm thinkin about building a box for my 2 12" SSDs with somethin along the lines of a double baffle on subs' side.

Basically, to anyone who's built a box, what are some tips and tricks, products that you like, techniques, etc.

Thanks a lot and please TRY to stay on topic and no selling boxes. thanks again...

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1894
measure twice cut once... thats a good tip um i use elmers pro-bond glue, it works pretty good

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 721
how bout titebond woodglue vs. liquid nails vs. gorilla glue...

gorilla glue foams and i could clamp it so it'd work iight i think, some more people have to have tips

logan and phil and fisher don't be greedy now

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 722
and about what size drywall screws do you use and how much glue should i get for a box for 2 12s

Silver Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 227
Definitely what Justin said, measure twice, cut once.

I actually use 1 5/8" deck screw. They have a little better grip than a dryway screw, IMO.

Use a wood glue. Such as titebond or elmers. Stay away from liquid nails, gorilla glue, and stuff along those lines.

Predrill your holes, before you screw it together. Splits= bad.

Other than that, just take your time, and make sure everything lines up before you attach it all.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1772
^^^ Agreed and I can add: Use a good t-square (or table saw fence) to insure square cuts and remember to subtract the width of the wood when you measure to retain internal volume. Also wear a respirator when you are cutting MDF and not a paper mask or a bandana like some moron mentioned the other day.

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 107
DEFINATELY use wood glue none of that liquid nails crap like immortal box building uses:-d

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1774
Titebond III rules.

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1899
titebond 3 is really good too

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1777
Smartazz

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 255
OK, my pearls of advice.

Plan out the enclosure design and make sure your math is correct before cutting any material.

Cut all parts that have the same dimensions so they will be the same so edges will align perfectly.

If your cutting the parts on tablesaw:

1. make sure the blade is square to the top.
2. make sure the fence is parallel to the blade
3. use a 40 or 50 ATB Carbide Blade
4. make sure one end of all panels are cut square so when you cut the panel to finished size they are all square.
5. the ts blade should be not greater than 1/8" above what material thickness is that your cutting
6. KEEP YOU ATTENTION FOCUSED WHEN CUTTING ANYTHING ON TABLESAW.
7. NEVER CROSSCUT PIECES GREATER IN LENGTH THAN THE WIDTH OF THE MATERIAL YOUR CUTTING USING THE FENCE
8. DON'T BE STUPID USING ANY POWER TOOL FOR WHAT IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED FOR

If your using a circular saw to cut your parts, apply that same rules as you would for the tablesaw with some exceptions:

Use saw horses with a sheet of material as you table/cutting surface.

Goto Home Depot/ Lowes and buy 1/2" styrofoam sheets, use this under the mdf sheet to raise it above the table so you circular blade does not cut into your table surface.

Use a framer's square to square the fence guide to the mdf edge before you clamp the fence down that the base of the circular saw is riding against.

Wood glue - Elmer's Professional Woodworkers Glue

Contrary to BJ's statement that Gorilla Glue should not be used is unwarranted, given the amount of expansion that gorilla glue has won't do squat to the structural integrity of the enclosure after you have nailed, screwed or clamped the parts together while the glue is curing.

A nice 1/8" bead is all you need and wear disposable groves working with it, it stains the sh!t out of your skin.

Sorry BJ, but I've build plenty of custom cabinetry with Gorilla Glue and it don't expand that much to warrant any great concern.

If you have to use screws, use #6 1 1/2" drywall screws and pre-drill/counter sink, the screws do nothing more than hold the parts together till the glue dries, the glue is the bond, not the screws.

A good spacing distance between screws - 4" minimum.

If your going to use clamps to hold the part together, don't tighten the clamps to the point the mdf starts to bow, all your doing is squeezing out all the glue creating a weaker glue bond.

Also, wear a d@mn pair of safety goggles or glasses when cutting anything.

Forgot to say this about circular saws.

Check the blade to make sure it parallel to the base edge that is used against the fence guide, some circular saw do allow for adjusting the blade to do so.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7337
And don't rush. It's not worth a finger. I don't have a finger print on my left thumb to prove that. I've been bit twice on that digit and It isn't fun. Other than what Phil said, good sharp blades, clean work area, and a clear mind.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 436
Routered edges and slots make for a cleaner looking and somewhat stronger box also.

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 723
thanks guys, really informative and helpful

Silver Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 229
Phil, I wasn't necessarily saying gorilla glue makes a bad box. I feel it is just unnecessary. Its a lot more expensive than your standard wood glue, and IMO its very messy. Of course this is just a personal opinion of the stuff. ;)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us