12v fans

Gold Member
Username: Splmonster

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1212
i saw a link before but i cant find it, for some 12v fans because i need some ventilation for my amp because its kinda covered and gettin a lil hot because it aint gettin enough ventilation, thanks

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4679
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=3

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4680
bump dammit.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1752
Dead link Mike. You could just go to any computer store and pick up some fans for a few bucks each.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4681
well damm, thought it'd work. it's for www.partsexpress.com, just type fans in the search bar.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 5504
go to best buy and buy a 12 volt computer fan you can get 60 90 and 120 mm fans its up to you and there you go same shyt.

Gold Member

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1214
thanks man thats the site i was lookin for, but hey if i got this
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=099-184

could i just snip the wire and wire it to that fan? cuz there is a 12v adapter in the back of my trailblazer.

Gold Member

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1215
or i think i got an old car cell phone charger could i juss snip that and wire it to a fan?

Bronze Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

Formerly known as Wolf...

Post Number: 57
not trying to jack the thread, but HOW would I put a fan on my amp? the damn thing gets too hot and cuts itself off occassionaly...then what should I expect from a FREE Jensen..lol

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3074
You can crack the case open wolfman but it's not the safest thing to do...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
hmm, why not? I've opened the case on a couple of amps before.and as long as they're not hooked up it should be ok. just wondering if there's room inside for a fan

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1758
Well.... by the nature of how fans work they won't do anything if they don't have some resistance to pull against. A good example is when they are mounted in a computer box but the box isn't sealed very well or has missing mobo slots.... it won't pull any air out because it doesn't have anything to pull against. In a scenario of an amp in a car, the only way to effectively use any type of fan would be to either mount it underneath somewhere (like the spare tire compartment) and cut holes and mount the fans to blow outwards into the car. If your amp is just mounted somewhere in the open, you would have to build a little box that would fit over the amp and then mount a couple fans on that and wire/face them to blow out. You can also wire/face them so that one blows in and the other blows out. Mounting a 12 volt fan in open air above the amp will do next to nothing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3075
Me and my buddy pretty much ripped the entire board out of a Lanzar Vibe "2000 Watt" amp's case and got it to be 1 ohm stable :-) It wasn't a bad amp for 180 bucks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
well,what i meant is that I would probably take the top off, cut a space out in it, mount the fan so that it blows outwards, and then wire it up.

since I got pics of the amp.....look at my idea below

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
btw, the slots that are shown in the bottom pic, if I have my rear seat down, and the amp is cutting out, I can blow in them, and it will come back on...so if I can get air flowing in throught them and out the amp, that should cool things down enough to keep it from cutting off, hopefully

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1760
Yep, there you go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
so how powerful of a fan would I need, or will all 12volt fans be the same? and HOW do I go about cutting the hole?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3076
Cut the hole using a dremel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
and IF I dont have a dremel?

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1761
Seal those air vents off and however you end up cutting it, make damn sure you clean all of the metal off of the circuit board or whatever is underneath that top panel. If worse came to worst you could drill multiple holes and tap the rest through with a flat screwdriver and a hammer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
I'll take the cover OFF to cut it. so I wont have to worry about metal shards

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1762
I meant after, all it takes is one little shard to cause a short but you can make sure there are none left by filing the cut. But just check to make sure nothing falls inside after you replace the top.

Gold Member

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1217
thanks for jacking my thread jerk.... haha juss playin wolfie, my thread is your thread but does anyone know if i could get like a cigarette lighter adapter that i could hook that fan up to?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
why would you want to use a cig. lighter adapter, I would think you could hook it up to where the power goes into the amp or am I wrong, since that would be + and ground instead of + and -

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1779
Because you want to connect it to a switchable or in this case, removable, power source otherwise the fans would run 24/7. Best bet would be to splice a thin wire into a switchable power source that goes to your clock, radio, etc. but you have to be concerned with added noise because fans are notorious for that.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2542
"but you have to be concerned with added noise because fans are notorious for that."

Use a 100uF capacitor on the power wire to reduce noise. You can buy a power line noise filter for 10-20 bucks, but the cap works well for cheap money.

What?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us