I just dont get it....

Bronze Member
Username: Jladam415

Post Number: 17
Alright, im not sure how many of you were reading my "help my 500/1 died" thread over in the AMP section but heres the story... I was moving my box/amp, it might have been on, but it wasnt blasting or anything, i dont remember it wasnt loud though... Anyways, i accidently pulled out the ground wire, so i turn the car off, hook it back up, and its dead, the amp wont turn on and the 3 places i took it shrugged their shoulders and said DEAD... anyways so i sent the amp off to jl for repairs, and i hadnt the slightest thought that my glorious 10w7, you know that 500 dollar sub was even harmed in the least bit... so my brother was putting it in his truck, gets it all wired up, nothing, nothing nothing nothing, the thing is fuked, im ready to pull my hair out, SOMEHOW (they havent determined what caused the amp to fail) my entire 1000$ amp/sub combo got FRIED when the ground got pulled, its a fuking joke, and i just have no idea what to do... if anyone can help that would be great... the sub is sitting out of box in my room, so i dont know what i can do as far as testing.... my brother said it wouldnt do anything untill they completely re wired it up and it would just make a wierd noise and move back and fourth (similar to what my type r did when i blew it)

if someone could help me it would be great..

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1331
Take a Digital mulimeter and read the resistance of the coils. Also when you push on the cone does it make a scrapping sound at all?

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1279
perhaps a fuse

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
not sure how to do the multimeter, but no scraping noise, everything pushes smooth and easy, doesnt smell burnt or blown like the type R, im just stumped... fuse where?

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1336
First off do you have a multimeter?? Ok if you do all you have to do is take it and put it on the terminals of the sub and see what it reads.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1754
Use a 9 volt battery to test the sub.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 878
You sure the RCA outs are not damaged on the deck? (or as well) Thats where your amp would likely find its ground when you pulled out the - wire.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 508
when your brother hooked it up to his car, what amp did he use.... A 1oh stable amp rite... When the ground pulled out it coulda hit the power wire and shorted it out..Dont see how it broke the sub

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1769
^^^^ Because if that happened it is called a DC short which sends raw current into the sub and fries the coils instantly.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 423
yumm..fried coils. I like mine easy side up with a side of toasted amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
He was using a hifonics brutus, 600watt not sure what ohm... i am going to try the multimeter thing, how does the 9volt work? im at my cousins house so i am going to try it when i get back... let me know

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1847
Hook two little wires to the sub and then touch them to the battery. Doesn't really matter which to which, it will either go in or out and show that the coils are ok.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us