Difference between Red top and Yellow top Batteries

Silver Member
Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 241
Which is better, and what do they actually do? My battery died once after a lot of bumping as i was driving, not while i was parked. Im wondering if a new battery, since mine is stock from a 1994 Acura Legend, would help to prevent this from happening again. I think I was also clipping, so I set my gain down a little and it hasn't happened again. Im wondering if I got a yellow top battery it would help keep my lights from dimming. Enlighten me.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 492
Yellow Top

# Dual Purpose starting and deep cycling.
# Lasts up to 2 times longer than other batteries.
# Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.
# More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead acid batteries.
# Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.
# 15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.
# Nonspillable and can mount in almost any position.

Red Top

* Lasts up to 2 times longer than other batteries.
* More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead acid batteries.
* Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.
* Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.
* 15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.
* Nonspillable and can mount in almost any position.

also Yellow top is Deep Cycle and Red top is starter...I see more Yellow Tops in car audio and more Red tops for automotive use..Non car audio related

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 242
what do you mean by 'deep cycle' and 'starter' I have heard both terms used, but don't know exactly what they mean.

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 706
a red top is gonna be your under the hood main starting battery and the yellow tops are gonna be for your audio system in the trunk basically

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 244
well say I was just gonna have 1 battery under the hood and run an audio system. Would the Red Top still be more ideal than your stock 13 year old battery?

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 708
what amps do you have bc it might be if you have non-efficient amps your lights are dimming

i used to run a hifonics 1206 everything else stock off my 130 amp alt in my jeep. My lights dimmed a lot (rookie mistake bought a capacitor did nothing btw) but eventually i upgraded to a zx1500 and a zx350 and even when im rollin at like 42/62 volume my lights do not dim at all. I don't suggest running almost 2000 rms on your stock alt like i am, but i have my gains at a safe level and i'm good.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 245
kx1200.1 and my gains are set safe too, probably lower than normal.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1737
The yellow top can take more abuse and be recharged more times plus they can provide more amps quickly, where as the red top provides more CCA for starting. Both are still technically deep cycle. And why is the blue top always left out of these discussions? The blue top is the bad ass out of the Optima line and the only one comparable to Kinetik.

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 251
I thought the bluetop was for marine vehicals [ie. boats and watercrafts]

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 494
Optima D34M Blue Top Deep Cycle Battery...Is a Automotive bat...Deep Cycle

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1715
"I thought the bluetop was for marine vehicals [ie. boats and watercrafts]"

they are still just batteries.

"The blue top is the bad ass out of the Optima line and the only one comparable to Kinetik."

i could be wrong, but i think there is nothing different internally from the blue tops to the yellow tops.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1741
You know what now that I look it up Tremor is right... the only difference is the "marine" rating and the way the posts are situated. Maybe it is a subconscious thing but my blue tops seem to be better than the 3-4 yellow tops I have owned. I stand corrected.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1716
i think they use stainless lugs on the bluetops so they will not corrode.

but yeah its just cosmetic differences between the different models.

if im wrong, oh well...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us