2ohms compared to 4ohms? help

Bronze Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 90
i have an alpine type r subwoofer... will bridging the amp to 600 watts x 4ohms sound better or 400 watts x 2 ohms sound better. can the sub handle 600 watts at 4ohms? sorry if its a dumb question but im new to this

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 479
Depends on the Voice Coil

Dual 2ohm VC which it would say 2ohm + 2ohm = 1 and 4 ohm stable....This will be the 4ohm stable

Dual 4ohm VC Which would say 4ohm + 4ohm = 2 and 8 ohm stable....This would obviously be the 2ohm load

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
I© thats the symbol

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1725
Josh you have those amp ratings all wrong... what is the make and model?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
hmmm still confused... i think my type r is the swr 1042d... and its 4ohms dual voice coils or somethin... it should be able to take 600 watts by 4ohms right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
well alpine mrp m450... and the sub i have is the alpine swr 1042 d...

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1726
With the 1042 you will want to wire it to 2 ohms like this. You can't get a 4 ohm load from a dual 4.

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
ooooooooo ok thanx man

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1727
The m450 will put out 200 to each coil at 4 ohms. That would work ok. Disregard the above diagram and run one channel to each voice coil.

Silver Member

Post Number: 483
That would be left Channel Pos Neg to Pos Neg on sub and same for other side and Right Channel

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 1728
No. It would be the + of channel one and the - of channel two to one coil. Then the + of channel three and the - of channel 4 to the other coil.

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
That is what i was tryin to say...But it is hard to understand...i guess...You explained it better tho

It is like your one sub is two subs in away, the way you load it that is..one VC is one sub the other VC is the other its easy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
oooo ok thanks guys... hope this s*** thumps hard. one 10 type r and that m450 will sound pretty good i think. good for a first system??? opinions please

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3096
hmmm still confused... i think my type r is the swr 1042d... and its 4ohms dual voice coils or somethin... it should be able to take 600 watts by 4ohms right?

From that question i dont think you understand ohms correct. The sub will take the power at ANY ohm, its just easier to supply more power at lower ohms, but if you can supply it at a higher ohm its always better because higher ohm = less thd although most of the cases its non audible

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
ooo i see
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us