Blew my 9918 :-(:-(

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1886
nobody has to be jealous anymore (chadlee :P j/p man) I fukkin locked it up today...spark hit the ceiling and it was done...sad thing is it wasn't even cranked up, clipping, and everything was set right...idk wat the hell happened but i guess i have a blow 9918 now....

Gold Member
Username: Mygame5982

I Got Serious Wang H-..., TEXAS US

Post Number: 1823
damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1887
hell yea man...volume was Low, EQL had everything flat basically, and gain was set low on it.....kinda seen it comin tho cuz everytime i played it lately its smelled like smoke and got hot even with volume turned down....hasn't even been played over 2hrs...

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2971
".kinda seen it comin tho cuz everytime i played it lately its smelled like smoke and got hot even with volume turned down..."

Something was definately wrong.You shouldn't have played that sub if it was doing that.What amp were you running to it and how did you set the gain?DMM or using an Oscilloscope?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ IS THE ONLY WAY

Post Number: 13390
sorry to hear that jordan. anyways get a recone ant you are fine. its not that bad.

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1888
Chad - yea ima sell the motor and switch to a sub w/ a warranty lmao

Rob - gains w/ a DMM, but then I added the EQL afterwards...however, I dint mess w/ any of the gain settings on the EQL so it shouldn't hav changed anything...First day i told Berny when i talkd to him that it started smokin after like 30 total minutes of play time...just a light smoke from the port so i cut it down.

It was powered by a Memphis 4kw at .75ohm. Voltage never dropped under 13v.
Any other guesses? I figured if it was lookin like it was goin might as well finish it out...but i dint expect it to actually go lol....idk jus seems like theres more to it than that.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2999
WTF man..... DD subs don't just do that. You either had an error in your install/setup or something was done to that sub before you got it...... was it used?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7164
Even light smoke is bad. ANY smoke is bad. If you even just SMELL smoke that's bad.

Smoke is bad.

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1890
Smoke is bad...but hell it did that at low volume even...im talkn like really low...and jus got worse...

The sub was a reconed, but unused since when i got it...

I kno there had to be somethin wrong or it wouldn't hav done that...i just don't kno what..i mean I've checked everything...I've spent lots of time on this set up....

Worse thing is....I never got any vids lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2975
What did you set your gain to?

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1313
That really sucks. Hope you get it all figured out.

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1891
Used volume set at 35(out of 40), bass boost 0, EQ on HU Flat. Played a 55hz tone.
w/ batterys at like 13.5-14v i had em(Audiokingdom) set it so it was puttn out about 3900 at 1ohm, but then I hooked it up to the sub at .75ohm (just remembered this part, so that couldve been a problem maybe???) It was smellin within 15min quite strong, so i cut it down and felt the dustcap was kinda warm so i kept it off for a while...when i got bak home I messed w/ teh box a lil to add bracing, turned the gain down a lil bit cuz i was thinkn maybe the smell was from glue and it would jus smell for a while. I went to town for like 10 minutes max and when i got to the place It was smellin again, went around to the port and a light haze of smoke was inside the port so i kept it off til i got home....took it out the box and checkd it all out. Everything checkd over fine, I checked EVERY wire, called audiokingdom, hooked it back up...this time w/ the sub inverted so i could see if anything started happenin again and that was the end of that day. Next day we drove to Murray, but before goin I installed the EQL, but left the settings flat includin gain/output adjustment..I was basically jsut gettin it ready for the rest of the stuff coming in next week. Played it maybe 30 minutes total, but had it descently loud for the 30 it was on, smell wasn't as strong, but then again we had the windows down, no signs of smoke this day. This mornin went to work and played it low the way there, smelled kinda strong...comin home i played it low til bout 1/2 way here then slowly started turnin it up...It started smellin real bad all the sudden and a friend was wit me, told him to look back and like 10 seconds later several sparks hit the ceiling and i cut it off quick...got home and it was locked up.
Given there are a couple unmentioned times in there i played it for short periods of time, but never turned it up rael loud, or even past 35 which is the volume used to set the DMM.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2927
Did you bother to measure the resistance of each coil? It is possible that it could have been bad when you purchased it but my guess that the EQL has a built-in linedriver and because you failed to check the output it clipped. I would get it reconed and ask DD to warrant it, if possible..Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2976
"Given there are a couple unmentioned times in there i played it for short periods of time, but never turned it up rael loud, or even past 35 which is the volume used to set the DMM."

You're supposed to use 3/4 of your HU's full tilt for a reason :-(

When you go past 3/4 the head unit begins to send a distorted signal which will cause your amp to send a clipped signal.GGed(Good Gamed).

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1892
Polo - yea i checkd the coils when i first got it months ago. And the EQL is quite possible on the line-driver thing, but i dont think so, b/c it has a setting on there to change the input/output gain..it has a 2v max output on it tho, and my HU is 2v...could b different somehow tho, good point.

Rob - 35 is where distortion began to b noticed thru the factory speakers, so thats what i jus said to set them at, another point that could b a problem...

Do either of those seem big enuf to cause it to blow in under 2 hours tho lol??? apparently yea, but im jus thinkn it had to be more to it...my call was jus a fucked up in the sub, which doesn't happen often with DD that i kno of. Doubt i get a warranty either cuz they only warranty new subs, not recones.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2978
"Rob - 35 is where distortion began to b noticed thru the factory speakers, so thats what i jus said to set them at, another point that could b a problem...
"

Well anytime you go past 3/4 of your HU's full tilt distortion usually starts but may not be audible to the human ear but...if you were playing at 35 I could see why.If not...I dunno it's possible there was something wrong with it.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2928
If I am not correct the real reason for using the 3/4 rule is to give Leeway because some songs are recorded lower than some, gives a round about setting not exact. In newer head units you could turn them up all the way with little or no distortion for the fact you are using low level inputs (preamp level) so the distortion if any is minimal. The reason why the signal clips is for the fact there is too much signal and elongates the waveform until you lose the tip of it, effectively known as clipping... Polo..

PS- If you turn your HU up to 35 and hear the factory speaker distort it is because of the fact they are POS and/or the amp for them is also. Turn your HU to 100% but lower the gain and tell me how must distortion you really have..

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1893
"PS- If you turn your HU up to 35 and hear the factory speaker distort it is because of the fact they are POS and/or the amp for them is also. Turn your HU to 100% but lower the gain and tell me how must distortion you really have.."

True...and I ahve new ones comin in next week to replace them. But for the time being i dint wanna turn it up all the way and hear em distortin...so i jus chose 35 as the point for them to set the gain.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1340
damn that blows. are you selling the motor and basket or are u getting it reconed?

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1894
whichever really....I planned on sellin the motor and basket but idk if ima get much for it...cone is still good, u jus hav to get new coils from DD and they'll reuse the cone....recoil will b no more than 150 from wat i hear. I'm sayin that if i could get 525 shipped for it as it is i would sell it. Otherwise, im sendin it to DD gettn it fixed, and sellin it unused for like 725shipped.

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1895
no bump....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1346
o. so ur not gunna keep using it if u get it reconed...wut u gunna use?

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1897
plan on buyin another 18 w/ a warranty this time lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1349
lol good idea. a 9918 or something totaly different?

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1898
RD SuperHeavyweight w/ a 4" VC is wat im aiming for. Preferably Quad 1ohm if can.

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1899
wtf???! it never bumps for me.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4547
that sucks! something went wrong.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11665
some1 actually blew a DD high series sub ! - damn

yep i agree a rd heavyweight or atomic apxx if installed right would be REALLY hard to kill either sub......

Gold Member

Post Number: 3004
"The output of some decks will clip at less than 50% of its full volume when the loudness is engaged or bass and treble are boosted. Many of the low to mid priced head units have a maximum output level (before clipping) of 2 vrms. If a 100hz test tone is played in the head unit and the bass control boosts signal levels at 100hz by 10dB, the output would clip if the pre bass boosted signal would have been .63 vrms. In other words, If the output of the 100hz test tone is more than .63 vrms and the bass control was turned to its maximum level, the signal would clip. This would very likely be at less than one-half volume."-Via Bcae1.com

Like Polo said it depends on the level things were recorded at but take what is posted here into consideration.As a safe rule of thumb don't exceed 3/4 of your HU's full volume.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1685
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3005
^So that's who Jordan blew?

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2475
Did you have the charging system to support 4000rms?

Gold Member

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1900
lmfao Brad

naw i dint hav the alt for it...but I kept a close eye on voltage....I did hav enuf batts, which I previously charged cuz I planned on voltage drop...never went under 13v tho.

I left out one part in the story too, at some point after the smoke incident I wired it to 3ohms w/ teh gain still turned down under where it was set by the shop...and I still had the bad smell at low volumes. and thats w/ really low power...maybe 1k rms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us