Blew 2 Eclipse sw7200s in 2 days?

Username: Allstar71

Jefferson, Ga

Post Number: 1
I just bought 2 sw7200s and installed them and within 2 days they were blown. My amp is an orion 1200d. and I am running them at 1ohm so they are somwhat overpowered. My car is only giving the amp 12v to work with so I think each sub is getting less than 600w. This amp also blew an RE Audio xxx 12. but I had that for almost a year. Does anyone know why the subs could have blown?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 5369
boring..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5370
sorry

boring i mean it might be yoru charging system your charging system might not be enough to handle the 1200 watts plsu the cars electrical system juzz fromt hat.. you can make it handle by adding a cool batterie under the hood and add 0 gauge wire to your alternators + and - to batterie.

and somewat sending dc current to your sub.causing them to clip or damage them and finaly blow

Gold Member
Username: Splmonster

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1185
probably because u dont know how to set the gain..........

Bronze Member
Username: 350zspl

Delray beach , Florida Usa

Post Number: 31
if your blowing subs off this particular amp
?

are you breaking subs in ?
are you playing balls to wall distortion and all?
are all your grounds good?
does 12V supply enough voltage to keep amps from clipping?

i might get the 2 eclipse subs warrantied and then re-install with a new amp to drive them

ask orion tech support if there amp only needs 12 volts start there that is free

Jefferson, Ga

Post Number: 3
the car is a 2001 toyota celica and I have a 2 farad cap in the line...
what would be the proper way to set the gain??

Jefferson, Ga

Post Number: 4
The manual says that the amp can run on 12v.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5373
look

Clipping is mainly our worst enemy in car audio, clipping is what mainly causes speaker and amp failure and bad performance, clipping is an unwanted thing, the cause of clipping is mainly poorly charging system, since you need power to make power, so if your are getting power and turn into a bigger power is not possible, sometimes some amps are invulnerable to clipping, and if you have a 80 amps current flow they take the 80 amps and produce it into what is equivalent to 80 amps of power without any stress, is mainly because they have a regulated power supply. Some amps without this feature take the 80 amps of current flow and try to make a bigger output power and they fail by sending dc current to the driver making it perform bad and even kill it.

You just cannot detect clipping by just the ear, sometimes clipping is unhearable and you cannot detect it by ear, sometimes you think your system is clipping but is not, the only thing to see if your system is clipping is having an oscilloscope a clamp meter and perform various task to find out if your system is really clipping. Most people mistake clipping with a spl sub that their nature is to get loud and not sound good at all.

Clipping is also and mainly caused by higher gain setting on your amp, so try to set your gains with a voltmeter, there are some websites with calculators to help you out. A bass boost can increase clipping, when you use the full 16 db that the amp give you and that's bad, if your are using bass boost is a good thing to use but never try to go more than 6/10 of bass boost if you are not competing.

Some times instead of you having clipping u might have a really high t.h.d ratin( or total harmonic distortion)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5374
and try to get a better ground and if you have 8 gauge cable try and do atleast 2 gauge cable.

Part 13

Ground???

Ground is mainly a point that has zero voltage.

The single and most important factor to avoid high resistance or better flow of electricity and avoid unwanted noise is finding a good ground

A bad ground can cause clipping, or severely damage your amp and cause to shorten its life.

On head unit the regular ground from the wiring harness is not always enough try to find a better ground so you will never have problems like blown output channels clipped signal etc...

Getting a good ground means that you have to use the shortest cable as possible from the ground point to the electrical thing that is being grounded. Having a longer connection will cause or increase high resistance making it not to transfer the electricity good causing problems with your equipment.

Always try to find the best ground as you can and use the bigger and shortest( in length) connections you can.

Jefferson, Ga

Post Number: 5
I have read some on clipping..and if the amp is clipping I read that It will produce heat...however my amp is running very cool...is it possible that it could be clipping without getting hot??

Silver Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 900
Sure can. I am in Columbus, Ga, how far away are you form me? I have a pettyy good installer and such and have some awesome products if you want some local help :-)

Kevin
lowhz01@yahoo.com

Username: Deeeebeeez

Post Number: 10
i have an sw6200 and am putting 800 watts to it and it pounds, had it for about 6 months and it doesn't even get hot, so i think ur doing something wrong.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1889
Sounds like CLIPPING to me.

If you don't stop the amp from CLIPPING the best subs will blow. Get a DMM and set your gain right and you will be fine. The only reason the RE lasted longer is better quaity. It can take more abuse.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1890
Oh yeah you will get rated power at 13.8 volts on the Orion amps.

Jefferson, Ga

Post Number: 6
Just for clarification...when the amp is deprived of a good clean ground, it will begin clipping at lower volume (gain??) than it would if the ground was adequate.

My car is only producing 12v not 13.8v.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us