Amp Gain Setting... very confused

Bronze Member
Username: Pete_the_pup

Gaffney, Sc Usa

Post Number: 31
My HU is Jensen 9311ts. The Bass Center Freq. goes from 60hz to 200hz once one is chosen, you can't turn it off. I usually run it at 100hz or 130hz. Is it OK to leave this setting when adjusting the gain on the amp? Also my Bass/Treble goes from -14 to +14 should that be set at -14 or 0. The Sub level goes from -12 to +12 again should this be set at -12 or 0? How about the sub filter, once set you can not turn it off. Is it OK to set gain with this perameter set?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 476
bass center frequency: dunno
bass/treble: 0
sub level: +12
sub filter: if that's a crossover then you set that once you have your gains set.
you should have your eq flat n all the "mega bass" (etcetera) settings off. any more questions just ask.

Bronze Member

Gaffney, Sc Usa

Post Number: 32
Thanks Cam, The sub level is where i've been going wrong. I've set the amp gain with the sub level at -0+ The sub filter to my understanding is a crossover, 80hz-120hz-150hz I have it set at 120hz. there is no way i know of to disrupt it's function. Same with Bass center frequency i usually set it at 100hz or 120hz.

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 481
well, experiment with your crossover and see where you like it. how's it sound?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1332
if you're using a 50hz tone to set the gain for your subs - the sub filter shouldn't matter.

Bass center frequency also shouldn't matter as long as the level is at 0.

I would set the sub level at 0, with the understanding that once the gain is set - adjusting the sub level to higher than 0 could lead to clipping at high volumes, but I find that there are songs that need some boost as the bass material may be (and in most cases IS) recorded at a level much lower than 0dB.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2984
Sub level is not boost..... on most HUs it attenuates the sub outputs. There would be no output with it at 0........

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2985
Actually I re-read the original post and that sounds a little screwey have +12 and -12 for sub level...... maybe that HU is weird and it actually is some sort of boost.

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1302
The subwoofer control on my headunit goes from -15 to +15.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2989
Then it may actually be a bass boost that affects only the sub outputs instead of a level control. There is a difference.

Bronze Member

Gaffney, Sc Usa

Post Number: 33
The on screen display is labeled "sub level" However I was mistaken it adjust's from -7 to +7. My assumption is that from 0 to -7 cuts the signal and from 0 to +7 boosts the signal. Taking this as WORD. should I set the gain with the sub level at -7 or at -0+. I have tried it set at +7 and anything above about 8:00 oclock (on the gain adjustment) with the HU volume set at 30 (it goes from 0-40) sounds distorted, boomy and really annoying. I want to get the most out of the amp but i want Sound Quality. The amp is ORION HCCA-D2400.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1333
0's the way to go IMO

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1334
that gives you plenty of adjustment in either direction depending on the music type/recording quality.

Username: Wagovan

Post Number: 1
Check this site out it can answer a lot of your questions. This link is actually talking about how to set your levels on your HU. You might need to register to read these but it is free, and no spam. Good luck

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audio_system/car_audio_system.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Roobah

MO US

Post Number: 13
Why bother sending him down the road?
I can reitterate the obvious:
When setting the amp level input adjustment, leave everything 'centered' that has a - and + setting, no matter what it is called.

As to the sub filter, leave it on if you are using a ported enclosure.
If you are using a sealed enclosure, leave the filter off.

PM me or chk my profile for a link to my page for more info. You will leave knowing exactly what is needed (if this post is not enough).}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us