? for ohm load on memphis prd-1000.1

Bronze Member
Username: Th3di3s3l28

Post Number: 92
btw, I know this should moooost likely be in the amplifier section, but the subwoofer section sees the most traffic, and it does have a reference to a subwoofer :D

don't remember if i have asked this before or not, but i've been thinking about it alot lately.

anyways heres the deal. my amp is memphis prd1000.1, puts out 1000 watts at 1ohm. my Fi Q (15") is dual 1 ohm, which if i've got this right, needs to be wired to .5 ohms or 2 ohms? correct me if im wrong please :-)

I purchased that amp at the time, not paying attention, and didn't realise it put out 1000@1ohm, and not 2 ohms. anyways, since then i have had the Q wired to 2 ohms, on which the amp puts out @600 watts. It sounds great right now, but ive been having an itch to hear it on the 1000rms that Fi recommends. :-) I don't want to have to purchase a different amp, but if it comes down to it, I will. But I guess my question is, will that amp be ok if I run it at .5oms? I believe I have asked this before, and I was told its risky, as the amp may not be able to handle it. Just wondering what the general consensus is. Any help is appreciated :-)

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1813
u could prolly burp it at .5 but dont run it at .5 daily

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
thats exactly what i was wondering. i guess i should have specified. it would be for daily. so no go on that idea? thanks for the help.

i got a deal on that amp, but i shoulda just stuck with the zx1000.1 i went out to purchase initially. haha do it right the first time.

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1268
"haha do it right the first time."

indeed...it pays off

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12384
sale the prd...and get the zx

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 571
lol did you mean "sell" chauncey or he could get an amp that is .5 ohms stable but that would probably be too expensive

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
yeah i think he meant sell. thats probably what im going to do. what amp are you referring to raymond?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Everyone is ... USA

Post Number: 4275
NO dont sell the prd... just get a 2nd 1 so you have 2 prd 1000.1! just cut the gains down on them both, and set it properly. it is way better than buying another amp and selling that 1. it will also be stronger; besides you can find the prd1000.1 for about 100-120$ used. it is a great amp man.

yes, it will play at .5, but it is touchy, daily I would prefer it at .7 to be safe, consider impedance rise also. I know for a fact @ 1ohm it does more like 1225 rms. there are 4 fuses, you prob have 30a, switch them to 40a fuses. it is perfectly safe, and gives you that extra drop...

the prd I actually like better than the mc class, etc..

Gold Member

Everyone is ... USA

Post Number: 4277
didnt
b
u
m
p
!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
hmmm thanks for the input B. Didn't even consider that option. I do really like the prd. I used to have a zx1000.1 before and from what i remember it was alot larger than the prd I have now. Well what would you suggest would be a better option? The 100 dollars isn't a problem, because of graduation money i just recieved. Would the two prd's running 600@2ohms put out more than say one zx? I remember the birth sheet on my zx said somewhere around 1198 I think it was. And sorry to inconvenience anyone, but I've been trying to educate myself on the whole wiring and ohm load thing, but how would I wire the two amps to one sub? one to each VC? and if anyone could come up with a diagram showing how that would be much appreciated. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
bump please :-)

Gold Member

Everyone is ... USA

Post Number: 4280
you have a dual 1 ohm sub!

so 1 prd 1000.1 to each coil will be 1ohm to each coil equating to 1000rms per coil.... you will have 2 amps to 1 sub, so it will see 2000rms if your gains are turned up...

i suggest run both amps with the bass boost all the way down, or just a tad, and gains set to under 1/4 and both frequencies on the amps set the same. you will need a dmm to set it properly...

if i had a choice between memphis and kicker, ill choose memphis all the time... trust me, ive used both...

memphis 2500d will also eat the kicker 2500d... but we are talking 1000ds, and yes its better!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
alright thanks B
so when i wire it would i just do the pos. and neg. on one coil to the pos. and neg. on the amp, and the same for the other coil?

Gold Member

Everyone is ... USA

Post Number: 4285
that is exactly correct steven... you will thank yourself! no problem helping you out, cause that is for sure a sleeper amp.

Gold Member

Everyone is ... USA

Post Number: 4286
ps, you can also remove the chrome cover crap with some allen screws.. 4 of them I think... this will re-veil an all black, sexy amp, and help with cooling, cause half of the heat sinks arent shielded.

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 574
Hey B i have one of those memphis on my L7s i've been trying to find some can you show me a site or link for them used for the price you stated above because that seemed way to cheap

Gold Member

Everyone is ... USA

Post Number: 4289
well thats the price I picked mine up for... check ebay at all times, also check the auto section, stuff gets mixed up when sellers try listing, so you may even find a amp for 30$ in ebay motors section...

at our store, we sole the prd 1000.1 for like $340 or something, I cant remember.

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 575
thats still cheap my car audio shop tries selling them for 450 brand new

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 576
yeah nevermind i had mixed up the models i was talking about the MCD1000 amp

Gold Member

Everyone is ... USA

Post Number: 4292
yea mcds are more $$ but I prefer the PR series, they are fully loaded, fans, etc.. and I believe personally they are more durable. also they are rated @ 1 ohm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
thats interesting about the cover. I think the black would look nice. Yeah I picked mine up for just under 300 from a shop near me. Thanks again for all your help!

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 577
well the MCDs look better in my opinion but why did you bring up that the PR are ratred at 1 ohm if you didnt know so are the MCDs plus they are rated at 1100 at 1 ohm and the PRs are only 1000 but either way both are great amps

Bronze Member
Username: Mrray13

Post Number: 42
memphis 2.5kw kill a zx2500? lol, that's funny. sorry B, it ain't happening. unless you like flamethrowers, the memphis amps have really declined in quality in the last three years or so. starting with the new heat sink on the mclass, and now with the new one on the prs. i send off 10 memphis amps to ever one kicker for warranty and repair at work. same for subs. steven, at least you got the old case pr, which means it should be fairly reliable. but don't drop it to .5 for very long. or change out those fuses. if your voltage drops, you'll be sending that amp off for service.

not all mclass amps are 1 ohm stable either. the 250, 500 and 1500 are rated at 2 ohm. the 1100, 2.5 and 4kw are rated at one.

both pr mono blocks are 1 ohm stable.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
raymond if you were referring to me, what i meant is that when i purchased the amp, i didn't read the box right, and after i got home is when1 i realised it only put out 1000@1ohm not 2. I just decided to stick with it instead of returning it then, because the sub sounded plenty loud to me on 600watts, but now im itching for 1000. thanks for the info kent. i think im going to pick up another prd, but of the same case i have instead of the newer ones

Gold Member

Everyone is ... USA

Post Number: 4297
Kent you need to test that 2500 memphis some more, I had 2 of them b4 they were even released... just like the older mojo 2000 (sleeper), its just the newer version, rated more at what it puts out 2500rms. now you know that the mojo 2k does near 3800 rms when modded and fed 16v? I believe the 2.5k does the same little more. memphis really waited on that release, but its available now. I must say Kicker doesn't stand up.. even being their best amp the 2500d

im fully aware of the ohm loads. heck ive owned like almost all of them, just prefer the prs for some odd reason. but all even down to the 250rms is underrated, that lil thing puts out!

Bronze Member
Username: Mrray13

Post Number: 44
B..any amp modded is better then OEM. but i've also tested the new mojo(mclass, whichever.) 2.5 against the kicker 2.5 against the older orion 2.5. the mojo is the least efficient, is touchier to voltage drops and is more apt to blow up compared to the other two. but this is indeed in factory form. modded might be a whole other story. and yes, we had teh 2.5 and the 4kws before they were ever released to the public.

no, after memphis switched cases on the mclass and now the prs, quality is just pisspoor at best. the old studio series 1100d got me hooked on memphis, now, i'm disgusted with the quality memphis has cranked out lately. i even give our memphis rep, fred, crap every week when he's at the shop. it's honestly slowing turning me against memphis when i used to be one of their biggest fanboys.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Silver Member

Kansas

Post Number: 598
What a sad story
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us