Poly fill in vented box

Bronze Member
Username: Retirenaz22s

Hurricane, Utah, soon t... USA

Post Number: 21
why do you not put poly fill in vented box?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Team RevolutionImortal Box ...

Post Number: 7766
I dont..

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Team RevolutionImortal Box ...

Post Number: 7767
oh ops:-) Polyfill makes the sub think that the box is bigger. But wouldnt it just blow out the port?

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 218
There is no cardinal rule that says you should or shouldn't use polyfill, it's more of a user preference thing since it changes the bass response characteristic's which you may or may not like.

Also, if ya do use polyfill in a ported enclosure, you have to attach it someone so it doesn't come out the port like putting some sort of wire mesh over the port opening inside the enclosure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I stapled 3/4 poly fill to the inside walls of enclosure so there is no problem with it coming out. I was just wondering if it affected the sound quality of my box.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2913
Not for use in a SQL/SPL box causes internal turbulance that effects SPL. Good for SQ, bad for getting loud in a ported box. If you trying to use it to overcome errors in boxbuilding just get the right box, if it is being used to correct playing errors that is effecting SQ then try other materials in sheet form like thin fiberglass matting, wool carpet padding even a low pile industrial carpet has been known to work nicely. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 221
Yes, polyfill will affect the bass response of the enclosure since polyfill ( given the amount added ) fakes out the subwoofer that it is seeing a larger volume thus ( for a ported enclosure ) will lower the port tuning frequency.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6953
Carpet padding. Cheap, effective, easily attached, available at every home improvement chain. Pennies per square foot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Okay, now another?? the carpet padding, thin fiberglass mat, what exactly does it help with. There are no box defects I just did it because I was to to do it. Thats why I am asking here most of you people are very informative and are willing to help without making me feel like an azzz! thanks for all the input!

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5213
we did the poly batting trick and the box not only tuned lower it sounded better and raised spl

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 130
i thought that polyfill was only really usefull in sealed boxes. in ported i just assumed it would help with reflections inside the box and vibrations making their way to the exterior walls of the box.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2914
Steve your right. Strategically placed panels of a dampening material will help offset the backwave of the sub thus helping with music coloration. Ideally the material will help keep the backwave from coming through the cone material of the sub. This will cause cancellation/coloration problems in your music. I use limited amounts of bracing not a lot so as not to affect internal flows and I add a dampening material IE-wool carpet pad, pink insulation, thin sheathed fiberglass matting(ends sealed) and even thin commercial berber carpet like used in office buildings works quite well. No need to cover the ports or such but a panel directly opposite of the magnet and all surrounding walls, keep material away from port opening. I also get rid off all internal corner by using great stuff, spray in corner use a plastis 1" scraper and shape flat while packing it in. Let dry and use a thin resin on it, not only does it not allow standing waves to build the foam material helps absorb them. Most peeps use resin for this but while it may aid in flow and reducing the standing wave effect it also provides another reflecting surface, just anothere problem when trying to dampen. Polo.. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us