Preamp outputs

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 723
Does it really make a difference if one head unit has a 2 volt vs a 4 volt preamp voltage?

Im only askin cuz i want a flipscreen ~1000$ ish range, and the only one i can find with >2 volts is a kenwood one, which i dont know how i feel about lol.

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1739
well as long as u get your target voltage it shouldnt matter. besides u could always get a line driver.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 724
what do you mean target voltage? and whats a line driver

Bronze Member
Username: 350zspl

Delray beach , Florida Usa

Post Number: 17
pioneer avhp5700dvd

around $ 600 to $800 i think 3 volts out

Gold Member

Post Number: 1744
the target voltage for ur amp... like how many volts it puts out to get the power its suppose to put out. and a line driver is a little box that bumps preout voltage up b4 it goes to the amp

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2797
No point in using a line driver unless you're splitting the RCA signals for multiple amplifiers.

The only difference between different preamp voltages is the noise floor....... if you turned the volume way up with no music playing you will hear a slight hiss, there will be less of that with a higher preamp voltage.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 725
aight thanks MS

Gold Member

Post Number: 1751
i dont fully agree w/ u m.s. i understand it helps a lot w/ running more than 1 amp but say ure target voltage is high and u cant get it out of the hu, u need a line driver.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 5149
DONT BUY THAT DVD PLAYER MAN... LOW END DVD PLAYERS ARE WEAK... GET A CALRION THATS IN THAT PRICE RANGE AND THOSE ARE ONLY 2 VOLT PREOUT VOLTAGE

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5207
my bro has the pioneer 5700 dvd unit and it has 4 volts preouts

Gold Member

Post Number: 5208
if you use a line driver use the phoenix gold line driver....up to 8 volts rms and clean

Gold Member

Post Number: 5150
WELL MY SEAN BROTHER I HAVE THAT 5700DVD AND I HAVE THE BOX RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME

General
Chassis Size Code IEJ
RMS Power Output 22 watts
Peak Output 50 watts
RMS Power Bandwidth 50-15kHz
Preamp Voltage 2.2 volts
Monitor Size (diagonal) 6 1/2
Retractable Monitor Motorized
Video Control Yes
Preamp Outputs 3 pair
Subwoofer Preamp Outputs Yes
AUX Input Optional
USB Input Optional
A/V Inputs 1
Display Color Video display
Key Button Color Green/Blue
EQ Bands 3
Sound Shaping Type Easy EQ
Wireless Remote No
Wired Remote No
Changer Control Yes
Security Detachable face
Parts Warranty 1 Year
Labor Warranty 1 Year
Tuner
Tuner Type Supertuner IIID
FM Sensitivity 8 dBf
FM Presets 18
AM Presets 6
European Tuning No
Seek/Scan Seek
Radio Data System No
Satellite Radio Ready Both
CD
CD Frequency Response N/A
CD Signal-to-Noise 96 dB
Anti-shock Memory None
CD Text Yes
CD-R Playback Yes
CD-RW Playback Yes
MP3 Playback Yes
WMA Playback Yes

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Doa9RntBziM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&tab=featu res_and_specs&i=130avhp570#Tab

Gold Member

Post Number: 5209
here's where I got my info......http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3513.html

if it's wrong its their fault lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 5210
just looked in our book and found it 2.2 volts is right my bad

Gold Member

Post Number: 5151
NO PROBLEM DUDE.

ALSO THIS KIND OF MODEL GOT REPLACED BY THE 4500DVD SINCE IT HAD A DEFECTIVE OUTPUT CHANNEL THAT ALWAYS BLEW THE RCAS OUTPUTS.. I GOT 2 AND BOTH OF THEM DIE WITH THAT PROBLEM... AND IN THE SHOP THEY ARE GETTIN A FEW PROBLEMS WITH THE 4500DVD SO I GUESS THEY DID NOT DO SHYT TO FIX THEW PROBLEM OR THEY MADE ANOTHER ONE.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5211
well luckily my bro has had zero problems....by the way mess with the phase control we gained alot of bass for test tones

Gold Member

Post Number: 5153
GOOD GOOD.. YEAH IF U HAVE GOOD GROUND AND THE RCAS HAVENT TOUCHED EACH OTHER YOULL BE FINE... THEY ARE WEAK THO BUT STILL MAKE SURE U GROUND IT CORRECTLY AND PUT TAPE ON THE RCAS TO MAKE SURE THEY WILL NEVER TOUCH EACH OTHER

Gold Member

Post Number: 5212
its under warranty so were good anyways but thanks for the tip

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2815
" i dont fully agree w/ u m.s. i understand it helps a lot w/ running more than 1 amp but say ure target voltage is high and u cant get it out of the hu, u need a line driver. "

What "target voltage" are you talking about? I will assume you mean the AC voltage that you calculate should be on the speaker outputs when setting the amplifier gain? Is so, you're talking about an impossible scenario. Almost every HU I've seen has at least 2 volt preamp outputs, and every amplifier I've seen can accept at LEAST 2 volt inputs. No way for there to be a problem there.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2816
didn't bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 1754
yeah like say ure target voltage is 70 volts... w/ 2 volt preouts it might be hard to get that.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2911
If it is from a quality unit producing a clean signal (look for a high signal/noise ratio) then you shouldn't have any problems with a line driver. Now if you buy an inferior HU that uses crappy components and produces a crappy signal when you amplify it with a linedriver you get an even crappier signal. Do yourself a favor, start with a clean signal, it could possibly make a crappy amp or sub combo sound halfway decent... JMHO..Polo. :-O

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 726
hmmm, well i found the pioneer AVH-P5900DVD, thats got 4 volt preouts, and is like 7 hundo. Might have to get this

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2820
" yeah like say ure target voltage is 70 volts... w/ 2 volt preouts it might be hard to get that. "

No offense man, but thats completely wrong. Every amplifier I've ever seen can have the gain sensitivity adjusted down to far less than 1 volt, most go down to 0.5 or 0.2 or somewhere around there. There is no way for there to be a problem with a 2 volt input signal.

If you were get a situation where you turned the gain all the way to 0.2 or whatever it goes up to, and you still weren't getting the correct voltage on the speaker terminals(calculated based on your 2 volt input signal), then something else is wrong. Could be LPF set too low, wrong test tone freq being used, failure to turn off loudness, bass boost, EQ, other HU settings, sub level (if the HU has it) not turned all the up, etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us