"Going Active" ?????

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 623
I'm sorry, I've searched google a little bit, but I cannot find any simple explanations. I was talkin to a guy who said he's "going active" with his front stage (i guess something along the lines of powering the tweets and mids seperately) what does this mean? Also in CA&E this month a guy was running 3 amps (for like the tweeters, midbass, and then the third component in the triple comp things) ahah sorry if this is making no sense, but what are the advantages of this and how do you get everything to execute the right signals. little help would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2817
When going active you get rid of the passive crossovers that come with your components. Instead you get an Active Crossover, I think thats what its called. Anyways. With this, the crossover comes before the amp unlike before, it was after the amp. It is powered separately. Depending if you wanna go 2 way or 3 way. I'm going to use a audiocontrol 6xs. I have to buy new chips to set the frequency range that I want to run. I don't know how other crossovers work.

Take a look at this link
http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=225827

I'm running all my components up front so I got the 6xs. 1 channel for the tweets, 1 for the midrange, and in the future, I might use the 3rd channel for midbass.

25hz-80hz subs
80hz-3500hz midrange
3500hz and up for my tweeters
This is the frequency range I'll probaly be using.

Bronze Member
Username: Technique24

Post Number: 58
take a look here
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146726

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4469
i run active

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 626
damn, thanks berny, that explained a LOT, haah you nailed it 100%. Technique, i'm about to check out that link, but either way, thanks for the quick response

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 628
haha either way, sounds pretty damn expensive though...

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 13195
active FTW. once you go active you'll never go passive.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 3061
i looked at the title of this thread and thought it was talking about military stuff.. hahaha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us