RD audio alpha 15s.....

Bronze Member
Username: Imperial_designs

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 82
To be clear i have the woofers with the dual 90oz slugs and the upgraded soft parts... the 120s will produce a slightly lower QTS/QES..

in 13 cubes for 4 woofers these woofers get STUPID low.... adding that higher MMS over the original design definitely got more lowend..they are still responsive... no slop or under/over damping... they remain pretty flat... a little bottom heavy, but tuning to 38-40 quickly evens that out while still having excellent lowend... Its power handling has improved excursion is about the same..efficiency is better down low... similar to the mag... they sound good enough for bass heads and people who listen to all types of music...
i wouldn't say there a SQ woofer but they sound good on everything i throw at them...
for the price you can get these woofers at i doubt you find a better deal... wether you bang bass heavy songs, jazz or rock these woofers will preform.... they can go in very small boxes(3 tuned to 28 does excellent) and do well for sicking output down low in larger boxes(4 cubes). they sound excellent sealed... if your looking for an excellent blend of output lowend and space give them 1200-1500 in 2 cubes sealed and they will rock your world... i have tested/used so many woofers it would take a long while to list them... basically.... so ill put ti to you this way... no holds barred how i rate these woofers....

price performance... excellent...

efficiency is fair, made for higher power levels I would say 1200 RMS(test tones constant) and 2500 music... think of it as similar to the DD 3500s IMO they are every bit as good. smoke RF t2, RE SXs, W7s(yes they DO)MTX 9500s alpine type Xs...(please refer to the website and steve @ RD for this woofers power handling)

SQ... Is good, nothing to brag about but they do good on all types of music... there more musical sealed if thats your cup of tea but these woofers are made to pound and sound good doing so, and they do that very well....

IMO i like the looks nothing fancy no corners cut, simple to install, banana plugs work just fine....

things i would like to see improved... new basket, these woofers have a TON of throw... about 18mm linear each way, but they have a TON of throw that is usable for SPL....

larger magnets/motor for a lower QES... this is really a personal preference... but it proven that a lower QES is peakier/more efficient as frequency increases so if the intent is more SPL definitely a larger diameter topplate and magnets...

Rant... many companies fail to understand that the topplates surface area aginst the magnets is important.. if your going to make tall topplates the diameter on the surface of the magnet is only important... IE a toppplate that would be larger towards the magnet and smaller in diameter is more ideal as it can be energized easier because it has less material to energize same with the back plates... i prefer the current back plates over the newer ones its they would do this with the top plate the QES would be lower and could save cost as well... making it 2 peaces is really quite easy with the proper tools...(RE's XXX uses this idea which works out great...)

conclusion... if you desire ground pounding,car breaking, ear wax annihilating bass that sounds good to boot with a small to medium sized box and higher power levels(1500-2K daily) you cant go wrong...

Bronze Member
Username: Nate2587

Toledo, OH

Post Number: 19
nice writeup

Silver Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 809
Sounds like a straight up review to me :-)

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1126
that is why i will have one when the new shipment comes in :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1736
sounds good man. what numbers are you hitting with the 4 15s? i bet its just crazy loud.

Silver Member

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 811
Either way you go, supa sexy and supa nice subs :-)

Kevin

Bronze Member

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 83
Jake i have yet to termlab it.... from experience its at least 145@ 35hz.... this is with no damping no trim panels and off a RF t1500.1 with only 1 8" port... its going to sound great and be crazy loud... its already flexing windows on corner stores and knocking pictures off walls....

Bronze Member

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 84
oh BTW i made a vid, but it sucks.. some times next week ill have another to view... i would like to get them properly installed, not like the videos do them justice anyways.... they move no more than a 3/8" at any frequency and in the usable bandwidth(30- to 80)the 1800 the 1750 can do @ 13 volts should do them justice....
wwww.putfile.com/bassfreak

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1771
Great review anyone else.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1127
im gonna be running one shortly off a saz1500d ... sounds like im gonna beatin pretty good ...

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1774
Mike Loudon

Me to let me know how it sounds. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1128
you got it bud

Silver Member

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 815
Once Joel gets more port area in there, they will become alot more musical :-) Can't wait to hear that beast myself when the amps come in :-)

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 704
I ordered a 12" that is going to be shipped next week. I will make sure to post videos on here for you guys to see.

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 597
do yall think with running 1500-1700 watts to an alpha that it would be better with the triple 90 oz magnets or dual 120 oz magnets?

Silver Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 598
bump

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1249
talk to evan (RD REP) on aim (teamrdaudio1)

Silver Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 599
he's not on right now:-(

but im thinkin that would be better if i was running above 2000 watts but since im only gonna be doin 1500 or maybe a lil more the dual 120 oz will be a better choice

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 706
I will be using dual 120 oz magnets with my SAZ-1500D and it should be perfect. I would go that route if I were you. If you have any questions you can always email kevin or myself at lowhz01@yahoo.com, or myself at Ben@low-hz.com.

Bronze Member

Lafayette, Louisiana

Post Number: 85
the dual 120s will have ruffly the same performance unless you go a daily driver with a higher amount of xmax and the softer suspension... as for the new alphas with the 120oz 1" mags and the new back plates there going to be a force to be reckoned with no matter the application...

there very versatile and can handle some serious power.... with over 3" of xmag you better bet these woofers will move serious air... even though the xmax is only 18mm it still has plenty throw to get loud get low and remain linear... compared to the W7 they definitely get louder when the swamp gets thick(1500+) and sound good as well..IMO the W7 is overrated and doesn't really sound as good as people make it out to be... don't get mew wrong its a great woofer but the alphas are a step ahead @ almost 1/2 the price...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us