Mix subwoofers , to make ur own? possable?

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 558
aright this is probly a stupid a55 question, but has anyone ever mixd subwoofer drivers, with differnt coils, or w.e... to make there own, is it possable? im asking this not knowing how a sub actually works inside.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 739
Yes, although you typically cannot mix different coil sizes. You can make one, but it won't be very good because magnetic gaps are designed specifically for the coil/suspension used in the particular woofer. They are somewhat simple to understand.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 460
I've got a sub i've made in my room right now. Plexiglass dust cap haha

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 560
lol hows it sound?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2719
"I've got a sub i've made in my room right now. Plexiglass dust cap haha"

Can we see a picture of that?

Bronze Member
Username: Visitor01

Post Number: 67
Skies- You are correct that you can't mix coil sizes (i.e.- cant put a 4" coil in a driver designed for a 3" coil) But you can mix 3" coils.. sub companies do it all the time when selling recones (all these "hybrid" subs you see, Like an fi recone in a tc3hp motor... now is it the best idea for the do-it-yourselfer? probably not, plus sourcing parts in single amounts can be difficult (try going to the numerous buildhouses like, say, precision econowind and try buying 1 coil, or another buildhouse and ask for 2-3 spiders- same results... you will most likely just get laughed at)This is ALOT more indepth of a question than that- You need to know the I.D., O.D., Coil winding Height, what kind of former (kapton,ti, aluminum, etc) etc... Then you need to find the correct epoxyies (ca glue works, but its not necissarily the best to use)Which and how many spiders to use (several kindes(just to name a few- Cotton, poly-cotton, Nomex, many more)And then, if you have multiple spiders- do you want to use spider spacers or not... and if you do use em- what height do you want to use. And after that you need to decide what to do with the leads (Woven in, loose, spiders with lead tie downs sewn in, and a few more ingenious ideas) And then you Get into cones SOO many types of them, its not even funny (just to name a few- aluminum, titanium, nomex, pressed paper, polypropeline(aka- plastic)and soo many more ill not go into, and each of those has advantages, and disadvantages) Surrounds- we have rubber, foam, cloth, and more. Baskets- well, their are quite a few (most common are the 12 spoke and 4 spoke baskets, mainly because they are a "free frame" (meaning that their is no active patents on them, anyone can use them, and they are cheap) But you also have 6 spokes, stamped steel, dd has a new basket out, soundstream has a couple diff. ones. The eclipse ti basket, and the lighting audio basket. (main advantage of these baskets is the ability to use 10" spiders, and they are DEEP meaning the possibility of more xmax) and the list goes on... Sorry, maybe kinda a long message, i can go more indepth with pictures, if the op or anyone would like? (i have all kinds of raw parts here at my house, as i build subs on the side) so its not a big deal... Hope that helped at least a little....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Also SkieS- While i do agree with you thta the gap is made for a certian set of soft parts- it does not mean that that is how the speaker is most efficiently set up, they are USUALLY set up for a mixture of reliability, decent motor force, and a certian amount of "idiot-resistance"- (i.e. a sub used purely for burps (NO MUSIC) can fit a slightly wider coil, than designed for originally, which will increase efficiency, and make it a poor daily sub (coil gets to close to the sides it will rub, and that is NOT a good thing) please note that tis is NORMALLY, not always true.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 5037
if a woofer have a 3 inch coil opening in diameter how the hell people are going to use a 4 inch in diameter to put in that.???

i think your wrong cwilk

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
What are you talking about? You do know that Their is more to coil size than 3", 4", 2.5", etc.. dont you? You need to know the I.D.(inner diamater), and O.D.(outer diameter) of the coil, then you get into the winding height, etc... where did i say you could put a 4" coil in a 3" motor? i didnt, because you cant... but you CAN replace a 3.25" coil (o.d.) with a 3.35" coil (o.d) IF their is room in the gap(just an example, and a very simple one at that)... coils are NOT simple base sizes... does that explain better, mr. kingrob?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5048
i.e.- cant put a 4" coil in a driver designed for a 3" coil

my bad dude i though it said can instead of cant

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 378
damn rob always having word problems..
http://www.learnenglish.de/dictationpage.htm

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 2982
LOL^^^

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
No problem kingrob! just tryin to clear it up for you!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5049
f u c k off dumbshyt... at least i speak 2 languages and learning the 3rd one...

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 2987
"and learning the 3rd one..."

Properly stated, "and learning a 3rd one."
lol j\p
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us