Need help!! blowing fuses!!!

Username: Hokiefan4life100

Post Number: 1
Hey guys first post... thanks in advance for help..

heres my dilemma... everytime i turn my volume up above 1/2 with the subs at a decent bass i blow the fuse in my wiring connected to my battery...

subs : 2 RE SE's 12"
amp : RE 12.1
speakers: CDT HD-62
amp : JL 300/2
wiring: its either 0 or 2 guage, i think 0

everything else on my car is stock. my voltage runs at about 13-13.8 while driving and about 12-12.4 idle.

Post Number: 2
oh in addition... i might be interested in selling the subs... only been used for about 1 month... willing to sell box and amp too... box is 4cu ft ported at 32 hz. i dont know what SE's sell for these days, im guessing mid 100 something used?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 2906
if your voltage sits at 12-12.4V at idle... you have a problem... with the car off you should sit at 12.6V or so...with it on you should see 13.8-14.5 or so. What size fuse are you using? It could jsut be to small... does your power wire get hot by the amp or battery?

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 596
how big is your fuse that you have been putting in there? Look at your amp specs and it will tell you the size fuse you need. This happened to me on my type R's, so i upgraded from 8 awg wire to 1/0 gauge wire and a 250A fuse and this solved all my problems, except draining my battery =/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2907
what kind of amp do u have on the R's? 250A fuse???
If your using the reccomended size fuse and your running the amp at one of its rated ohm loads you have a different problem if your fuse is breaking but if its smaller then rating thats your problem, but dont just stick a bigger fuse in it to stop it.. it can damage your equiptment. Now if your running the amp at a lower ohm then is reccomended then that could be your problem..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2908
RE doesnt make amps anymore?? it links me to usamps... well i tried to find the rec. fuse size for you..

Post Number: 3
i know that my voltage is running low... but im also running 1500 watts rms on a stock alt, so i can only ask for so much. i could be wrong, but as long as its above 12 isnt it alright although not recommended?

I really don't know anything about fuses or wiring. I know that the original fuse that came with the wiring was a circular tube, so when i blew the original one i bought a set of some other circular tube ones online. heres a link to the ones i have.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1408791/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046

It says on there it only comes in up to 60 amps, so i bought those. I thought since i had 1500 watts running i would need a 150 amp fuse, but all of the fuses in 150 amps were different shaped and i believe "amp fuses"

what happens is everytime i turn my base settings up and turn my volume above 26 for more than a minute on my pioneer 770mp the subs and front speaks just cut off and i have to put a new fuse in before they work

Post Number: 4
oh and in response to killa. the SE's are 600 RMS, and the RE 12.1 is 1200x1 at 2 ohms, so im running 600 to each sub. I did none of the wiring, a friend of mine who had set up a few systems did my subs, then got my local car audio shop to do my components and component amp. And the fuse im talking about isnt a fuse connected to the amp or subs, its in a little holder like 2 inches from my battery. I also have a distribution block, with different wiring running to the speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2913
Thats the fuse im talking about, alot of high powered amps dont even have fuses in them, all inline fuses.

Post Number: 5
wait, i think i might have figured out what i need to do. correct me if im wrong.

The fuse holder thing i have now is AGU?, and AGU fuses only come up to 60 amps. Do i need to get a different fuse holder, ANL? and then put a 150 amp ANU fuse in it? Can i do that? Sorry if im retarded, trying to learn

Post Number: 7
oops, i meant ANL fuse not ANU

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1091
nice amplifier .... cant find em around much

an ANL fuse for the most part will not pop unless your really doing something wrong ...

go to Knukonceptz.com they have plenty of options for what you need ...

with that much power ... an ANL is def the way i need to go

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1676
matt do u have aim?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
yes i do... MPT947

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
anyway you could recommend a good anl fuse holder?

and is 150 amps about right for the fuse size?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
hey mike i went to that website you suggested and i found this

http://knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=FH-20

does that look good with 150amps for the fuse?

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 599
"what kind of amp do u have on the R's? 250A fuse???
If your using the reccomended size fuse and your running the amp at one of its rated ohm loads you have a different problem if your fuse is breaking but if its smaller then rating thats your problem, but dont just stick a bigger fuse in it to stop it.. it can damage your equiptment. Now if your running the amp at a lower ohm then is reccomended then that could be your problem.."

Kx1200.1 I ordered a 150A, the recommended size but knukoncepts sent me a 250A

"hey mike i went to that website you suggested and i found this
http://knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=FH-20
does that look good with 150amps for the fuse?"

Thats the same ANL fuseholder I got they are awesome, get a 150A fuse and you are more than golden!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2920
Ooo i see, i didnt think you needed 250A of power lol but really for a ANL fuse holder it doesnt really matter what brand, its jsut a fuse holder.. you can find a few cheap ones on ebay.. where i got my last ones..\

And if i read that right... your using a 60A when you should have 150A.... that would deff. be the problem..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Alright i placed my order for the 150ANL fuse. Just wondering, am i going to notice a big drop in voltage now that i have 2.5x bigger fuse, and if so, will it be all the time or only when i turn my system up?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us