Current spl on stock box frm mtx 12 142.1 db on young jeezy hypnotize

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5083
and no boost at all on 600 rms...bass cube should put us at our mark all we need is .6 db more to tie and if caanans .4 db high test with our meter and termlab are right we need 1 db more ....no sweat with the bass cube id say

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12956
nice sean.

what is a bass cube? is that some canadian style sub box?

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12957
bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 5085
http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/processors/basscube.html

Phoenix Gold BassCUBE

by Richard Podsada

PRO'S CON'S
Works well for tweaking sealed and ported systems None that I've found!
Defeatable boost from outboard controller
Snap to setup
Long and easy to find (RJ-11 2-line phone cord) mounting cable for outboard dial (supplied 18')

INTRODUCTION:

The BassCUBE (Constant Useable Bass Enhancement) is basically a single-band parametric bass-boost/level controller which will allow you to select a frequency between 20 and 110 Hz and apply a gain from 0 to 15 dB on that band. It allows you to select between a narrow Q (for ported/bandpass systems) and a wide-Q (for overall tweaking of a sealed system). These two settings affect how much the frequencies on either side of the center frequency you select are boosted, or the "width" of the boost, with gradual falloff. Also featured is a switch to go between a fixed or tracking 18dB/Oct subsonic filter, which is another option that allows you to tweak this unit between a Ported/Bandpass and Sealed system. The fixed subsonic filter is just that, and is used for sealed systems, where a tracking filter can be applied for a ported/bandpass setup, to save your speakers from damage when going below the tuning frequency of your ports.

The processor itself is an outboard unit, designed for trunk mounting and has Gold plated RCA inputs and outputs, and will accept a maximum 8V input and output a maximum of 8V, so it integrates into high-volt output headunits and line drivers easily and improving/maintaining a good signal to noise ratio. There are two switches on the unit, one for selecting your Q and the other to switch between tracking modes, and also an input for the outboard controller dial. The dial simply has a pot for controlling gain, and you push it in or pull it out to turn the effect off / on respectively. It also has another smaller pot for selecting the boost frequency.

The cable that interfaces between the outboard dial and the trunk-mount unit is simply an 2-line RJ-11 phone cord, which they supply you with an 18' length of it. Having the phone-cord interface makes it really easy to get shorter length cords should you decide to mount the unit closer than the back of the vehicle, without having to spend a hundred dollars on some proprietary cable. I found the length of the cord supplied ideal, considering my experiences with the shortness of the cord on the DEQ-9200 (3ft). It will basically reach anywhere in any normal vehicle on the road today, including suburbans and the likes.

INSTALLATION AND SETUP:

This unit is excellent in terms of setup! Simply find a place to mount the trunk-mounted unit and screw it down. Plug the input from your RCA's into the unit (you may plug full-range RCA's into the unit as it only boosts the bass frequencies, from there to either your crossovers or your amplifiers (if they have their own). Having a sub-output on your deck makes it even easier. Plug the cable for the remote dial in, run the supplied cable, or a shorter one, and mount the remote unit somewhere up front on or under your dash. Hook up power, ground and remote on the trunk unit, and you're finished!

To set up the unit, choose from a Wide Q (6) or a narrow Q (2), depending on your enclosure type. Bandpass and Ported designs will usually use the narrow Q, allowing you to tweak a very narrow set of frequencies, while sealed designs generally use the wide Q setting, allowing you to adjust a wider range of frequencies. Some people may find it useful to use the narrow setting even in a sealed design, depending on the frequency response of their vehicles and enclosure - play with the setting and see what sounds best. Select a subsonic filter mode, the fixed setting is intended for sealed designs and tracked mode is for bandpass/ported specifically. Use the fixed mode for a sealed box, where you don't have to worry about the driver uncoupling from the enclosure at lower frequencies. If you have a sub output on your head unit with it's own level control, or a crossover with the same setup, set the gain/level control on the head unit/crossover to a very low setting, I have mine set to as low as the head unit can go without attenuating it. This way you can use the BassCUBE for a level control as well as a boost.

For using the unit, turn it on by pulling out the gain dial on the remote, play your music, set the gain between half-way to 3/4, and adjust the frequency selector until you hear the most effect from the unit. Although the specific frequency will depend on the music you play, I usually find having the frequency dial between 60 and 80Hz, which has the arrow on it pointing upwards or pretty close to it. Once you find the "sweet spot", set the gain to your listening desires. Enjoy!

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

One thing I love about the performance of this unit, is that the gain is very clean. Most bass-boosts will colour or completely muffle the sound of your bass, but I found this unit will allow you to at least add a 8dB - 12dB boost to the bass without coloration or that dreaded muffling. It really can put the "heart" back into weaker bass samples. The key to achieving this is to set the gains on the outputs from your source unit to the CUBE very low. I do believe this unit has more advanced processing than your standard head-unit bass controls, or a simple parametric gain. Since bass samples from music vary so much, you always want a little more or a little less - the easiness of using this unit when driving is phenomenal, especially if you can mount it on the dash near the steering wheel somewhere, within easy reach.

Overall I give this unit a 10 the kick-as s scale. Nice work, PG!! :-)

SPECIFICATIONS:

Single band parametric bass controller

Gain: 0 to 15 dB

Center Frequency: 20-110 Hz, infinitely variable

Bandwidth: Setting of Q=2 or Q=6, narrow or wide.

Subsonic filter: 18dB/Oct fixed or tracking

Max input voltage: 8V

Max output voltage: 8V

PHOENIX GOLD WEBSITE:
http://www.phoenixgold.com/

Gold Member

Post Number: 5086
my buddies bass cube gave him 3 db boost mor than without it

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12958
so you set it to the exact tuning of the box or the peak of your car?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5089
you set it to the single best frequency you hit at and it ONLY boosts that frquency with a 18 db subsonic tracking ability for ported boxes

Gold Member

Post Number: 5090
the mtx doesnt have anymore to give 142.5 db without the bass cube.....the bass cube pushed the sub but no gain from it...my gues is the excursion or port is at it's limit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us