Installing 2 12s +amp into a maxima - wiring confusion - help

Bronze Member
Username: Shorterthanrich

Post Number: 23
Ok, so I'm installing two MA Audio (not so hot, I know) 350 RMS subs with an RD Audio 800.1 amp into my 96 maxima. It has a 6 speaker stock bose system that is a pain to access in the dash. Right now I have a sub in the car, but I didn't wire it up myself, and am now upgrading. Today I was running the new power for the new amp, and starting to run the wires for everything so that when I get the amp it will be a plug and play kind of situation. But...I noticed that the remote turn on goes directly from the amp...to my fuse box and seemingly randomly placed into a 15 amp fuse. No wire on the other side...just right into one side of the fuse.
Then, I was looking at the RCA inputs on the amp (just one set of RCAs). They go from the amp to a hi lo converter. Then from the hi lo converter...to my rear left speaker. I saw that, and said "wtf" out loud. I've never seen anything like that before. It seems the person who installed it ran no wires from the head unit (stock bose) at all to the amp, and maybe just tapped into the cable from the rear left speaker? I started messing with the right/left fader, and realized that the subs only hit when the stereo is faded to the left side of my car.

So the questions are...well, why the crap would anyone do this in the first place. Perhaps just for convenience? The dash is a pain to take apart on this car, and the back of the bose head unit is fairly inaccessible. It can be reached with a lot of work.

The remote turn on doesn't do anything right now- the amp is always on if the car is on, even if the head is off...what the crap?

Next- is this ok for my new setup? The amp I'm putting in is a mono block that I'll be running at 1 ohm, wired as the first option here
http://www.cardomain.com/shop/wooferwizard.pl?num_of_subs=2&impedance_of_subs=4o hm_dvc&x=152&y=11
If the amp is only running off the left side, will that prevent both subs from hitting? I wouldn't imagine so, seeing as how its a mono block...

Will it degrade my sound quality?

There are 4 wires running from the rear left speaker to the hi low converter. Why 4? I can only think of use for two...

Finally, what do you all recommend that I do. I was feeling good about wiring this up, but now I'm fairly confused. I think the guy who wired this just did a chincy job is what it comes down to. But at this stage, how do I avoid doing one myself?

Bronze Member
Username: Shorterthanrich

Post Number: 26
Bump - need some input on this
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us