Electrical

Silver Member
Username: Jester_king

Post Number: 113
what kind of electrical upgrades would I need for 3000wrms, my alt right now is 90amps

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1342
Big three, 235+ amp alternator, deep-cycle battery

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
ok the biggest alt my car can get is a 170, my questions is can I keep my stock alt and buy a 170 and put them together, also will I need a new/bigger battery

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2456
Biggest alternator and battery you can get.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
so a 170amp alt and a big battery will work

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2460
You will not be able to constantly play a 3000 watt system at full volume with a 170 amp alt. But if that's the biggest you can get, you're kind of stuck.

BTW what companies have you contacted for alternators? I have a hard time believing that neither Iraggi or Ohio Generator can build you alt bigger than 170.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
neither of those companies, also would I need an alt with 1500rms or would i just need a bigger batt.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12262
alt and batt..better safe then sorry

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2463
With 1500 watts the 170 amp alternator would be great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
^^ how much do you think a 250amp alt would be cuz I gotta quote for the 170 and it was like 477.95, and how much would the battery be

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
ok if I get 2 stock alts for my car =ing 180 amps and get another battery will I be able to run 3000rms cuz of the whole A x V = W think there you take 3000rms and divide from 13.5 volts to get 185.13 amps, so would that work, with the big 3 or not

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
sory meant to say 2500wrms

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

15 Inch Wang...

Post Number: 885
477.95 is crazy for a 170 amp alt. Please do not pay that much. Look on ebay for Iraggi alts they have good prices and im sure they make one for your vehicle.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2471
Ok first of all, 3000 / 13.5 = 222 amps. Then you have to multiply that by 1.2 to account for efficiency = 266 amps.

Trying to run dual alts is not even possible on a lot of cars, and will cost you a ton when it can be done.

That price is high for an alternator, but with some cars you have no choice and just have to pay it.

Silver Member
Username: Reppinqc

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 423
i know this is a noob question but how why do you divide it by 13.5? and then you multiply it by 1.2 because its underrated right?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2474
13.5 volts. Alternator output is 14.4 but there is usually some voltage loss. You * by 1.2 assuming the amplifier is about 80% efficient.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 428
oh ok thanks M.S.

Silver Member
Username: Ceoofdaroc4

Post Number: 312
Yea I got a question 2 sorry 2 jack the thread will I be ok with jus a new battery and big 3. I jus went 2 sears battery department and thy have this new die hard platnium battery thts like the best there is should I get tht its only like 180

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 429
you know any of the specs on it dwight?

Silver Member
Username: Ceoofdaroc4

Post Number: 320
Nah all I kno is tht every1 in the store was saying this battery is amazing if u have an old school whip u only drive n the summer and let it sit in the winter if u let it sit the whole winter u won't need a jump when u start it up again in the summer... tht had videos playing and some kid say he got 2000 watt system and the battery lets him play his sytem at full power wit the car off for a lot longer than other batteries...

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 430
so is it made for audio equipment or what...lemme pull it up real quick but im not gonna give you a very good answer, someone else should be able to tell you a definate yes or no to whether you should buy it.

Silver Member

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 431
yea man, like i said above i dont know much about batteries but this looks pretty promising with the warranty and everything.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2482
Get a car audio battery, not a regular car battery. Kinetik, Odyssey, Stinger are the good ones.

Northstar makes some batteries that are super powerful, but you don't want one under your hood. They are not designed for automotive applications and don't hold up well to that environment. They are great for mounting inside a vehicle, but expensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us