Tips on a custom box

Username: Slimdog53185

Bowling Green, Kentucky U.S.

Post Number: 1
I built a box for 2 MOFO-12's. Well it didn't turn out that good. The box is nice and solid but I get lots of port noise at high vol. I used 3in x 8.5in round ports. The box is divided into two chambers and each sub has one port. I really want to fix this.

Here are the box specs
1.688 ft^3 that is after subtracting everything
Round Port 3x8.5
Tuned to about 36.5Hz

If I add some polyfil I will get a little less air velocity but lower the tuning to about 31Hz. If I took out the divider then I get almost twice the spl and half the air velocity. Problem is I can't take the box out of the car. It didn't fit very good and I had to force it in the car. Anyone have some tips.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrogowski

Post Number: 11
Hi Bobby,

Did you use flared ports? I'm not sure I am following you when you say removing the divider results in twice the SPL and half the air velocity...

Post Number: 2
I didn't use flared ports. Just some regular pvc I had around the house. If I remove the divider so the box is just one chamber with two ports instead of one port on each side. Then I get about 3db more spl and having both ports used by both subs gives me half the air velocity out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Here's a suggestion: If you can, try using a hole saw and punch a bunch of holes in the partition. You will achieve your goal and still have the bracing strength of the partition.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4785
what he meant by removing the divider = half the air velocity and twice the spl is that since he removes the divider to make it a single chamber box, it increases approx. 3 db's (around prolly more like 2.4 or somthin) and then half the air velocity comin out because of him removing the divider.. ^^ that above suggestion would help a little, but why dont you just flare your port ends yourself? then you will get no port noise..

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4786
just heat up the end of the pvc port, then get a round object (not too large) and push the end of the pvc port on top of the object so you get the "flare" affect. someone on this forum did it and had pics, but im not sure where the pics are

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I think it would be a bit difficult for him to attempt a flare since the box is already in the vehicle and he doesn't want to put it out.

Punching enough holes in the partition to get air movement between chambers will solve the issue.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 527
Run about 2.5 cubic ft per sub, port them with about 40 square inches of port per side 12inches long

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4789
i would just remove the flares and flare them, thats what i would do even if you dont want to, and then you could also punch some holes in the partition :-) but do one first (like punching the holes) and see if that helps, if that doesnt, then do the flares

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4260
^^ best option... wreck the box and start over... sorry but it must be done lol.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4261
was pointing at zac's suggestion of starting over...

and btw, long time no see zac.

Post Number: 3
I was thinking of cutting some holes in the divider with a hole saw. Just didn't know if that would create more noise. I could try to flare the ports, but they are liquid nailed to the box.

I really wish I had a box that fit in the car better. The trunk opening is really small as compared to the trunk itself. That will probably be a future project making a box that fits better in the car.

I now see what everyone is talking about these subs are no good. They have NO sq. Good thing I got them for free.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5052
i might have an idea hold on and ill check

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5053
nope wont work...easier idea for ya would be pull the ports out and go sealed

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 528
Add another 3" port on each side, giving you a total of 4 ports.
BUT DO NOT CUT HOLES IN THE CENTER DIVIDER! ;)

Post Number: 5
Adding another port to each side raises the tuning a lot. I would have to have ports 17in long if I had two of them. That would be a lot of work to make those fit in the box. Only way I know to do that would be if I did the ports half internal and half external.

Why do you say not to cut holes in the divider?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
"Add another 3" port on each side, giving you a total of 4 ports.
BUT DO NOT CUT HOLES IN THE CENTER DIVIDER! ;)"

Why not?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
So does anyone know why I shouldn't cut holes in the divider? Thats kinda the plan as of now. Any other ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Bobby, if you use a hole saw larger than 3" and punch enough holes in there to allow air movement, you will gain what you want and still have the rigidity the brace offers.

Best,
Mark

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11510
IMO - get that box out of there & build a new correct box this time

no sense trying to remedy a bad box.....

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 1141
That box seems a little small and you really need some more port area. One 3 inch port is only about 7 sq inches of port. That is not nearly enough that is why you are getting a lot of port noise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us