Bed Liner Results: DIY: How to: 3.5 33 Flared port check it out!

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4256
He is using a DD amp thanks to Low-Hz and a RE SE 15. Thats why there are DD and RE logos on it. By the way, the logos weren't that hard but rather tedious and time consuming. The box is 3.5cuft to 33Hz. Its going in a F150 crew cab and taking the place of the middle seat in the back. The angled shapes of the box arent actually part of the functioning box but just so that it runs flush with the seats and window line.

DIY bed liner:
Okay this is what I've found and strongly suggest if you don't want to pay for rhino liner, super liner, line x, etc. The Spray on bed liner has NO texture. It's basically really strong flat paint. What I did was go get some flec stone paint at HD which has great texture and painted the whole box like this. You might ask why not just leave it with the flec stone then? Well, it isnt very durable at all and every color has white specs in it. If thats what your going for then that is fine. However, This install is for a landscaping truck and needs durability as well as I was going for a deep all black look, not with white specs on it. Give it about 4 hours to dry and apply your bed liner. If you have no rattle can experience this still won't be that easy because you can get over applied spots and such. I recommend side to side movement across the whole piece and release the nozzle at every turning point (when you stop going right and go left). Then turn your piece 90degrees and do it again for the most even painting. Oh and hold the can back a good distance. I'd say at least 10-12 inches and move fast. For this size enclosure I used 2 bottles of flec stone and 1.5 bottles of bed liner. bed liner is $8 a can and flec stone is $9 a can. Pricey, I know.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Also, as you can see, I didnt get perfectly even paint either. But it only shows under really bright light like the flash. And in pic 2 I have no idea what that circle is from, its not on the box.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4358
looks nice, post a pic when you get it in the truck as well.

Username: Mrogowski

Post Number: 4
Very nice build..

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5048
very nice trevor.....how did you get the curve on your port? fiberglass?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4257
Mat- sure thing

Mrogowski- thanks man

sean- you've been gone for a while buddy lol. There have been so many flared port designs going on lately. What you do is cut slits in the back of the wood not quite all the way through about every 1/2 inch. This give you the ability to flex the wood 90 degrees. Then mix up some saw dust and wood glue and fill in the gaps. It'll turn rock solid and you're good to go! btw, how ya been?

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 571
sick

Post Number: 6
Interesting. So, what type of wood did you use for the curve? I'm assuming it plywood..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5049
yeah it has been a while but I have been on periodicly reading or posting on ecoustics looks like people are growing in ideas and knowledge on here ...Ive been good just busy with other stuff in life and not focusing on car audio as much with our team splitting up and all but me and my bro are starting our own team

Gold Member
Username: Splmonster

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1063
no im guessin he used mdf......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Wow. I never thought MDF could bend like that. Of course, I never tried it either..

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 235
Mark, you can do a good number of curfs in the wood and bend it that way. The build looks very very good, just wondering about a complete seal around the sides of the sub.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4266
yup, MDF. The picture does make the sides look REALLY small. but there is 1/2 inch on each side. plus I'm going to be using gasket sealing caulk and bolting the sub down with t-nuts.

I appreciate the comments guys. hopefully in the next couple of days I can give you final pictures and results.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12864
how did i miss this thread? very nice trevor. you are one talented kid.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5051
I was just thinking that...yes he is very talented

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 313
Looks tight. Was that just 1 can??

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 506
wow dude that box is fuhkin clean... thats nice that textured paint, comes in a spray can? or wat? very nice clean box. wish i culd do that =(

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4274
chad, sean, you guys were always my favorite haha

malik- it was 2 cans of flec stone and 1.5 of bed liner.

rick- yeah they came in spray cans.

Thanks again guys, i forgot to take a picture of it in the truck, but next time i see him i will. It sounds really good, he's really happy. Now I have more request for business lol. One kid who heard it has 2 3515s in his truck and he wants me to build him a wall. maybe a lil later i will, that will be sick!

oh and rick, you can do it, you just have to try with all your effort, it's not that hard.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4279
didnt bump

Silver Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 110
Trevor you did a very nice job on that box. I really like how it turned out. Do you have pics of it installed?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us