Kenwood KVT-617DVD many questions

Username: Av8shunmeckaneck

West Covina, Ca

Post Number: 1
I just put in the above mentioned headunit. The instructions are pretty shabby so I was hoping someone knows some tips and tricks about it.

Just today I installed the iPod adapter but nothing that came with the headunit mentions ANYTHING about the iPod adapter and how to use it. The only place mentions iPod compatability is the Kenwood site and Best Buy. The box doesnt even say iPod compatable. Anyway, the iPod works but I would like more diplay options. Is there a way to display album art during iPod playback? The only display settings I can find are a scrolling selection of one item like the song title or the album title. Another display setting shows the list of album tracks but not the whole track name and the other list that can be displayed is the album list. But the album list just says "RESUMING" for every track.

Is the KVA-BT100 compatible with the 617? The Kenwood website does not list the 617 as compatible but I am told that its a pretty new headunit and the compatibility lists may not be up to date. Some websites say that the BT adapter will work with the 617 head unit. Anybody have any experience? The reciever has a "mute" wire that will mute the radio if using an aftermarket cell phone kit (per the Kenwood instructions) but no mention of BT adapter ready. Then again it doesnt say anything about the iPod adapter either.

Is there any way to change the background pictures? The wall paper is pretty crappy and it looks like it can be changed but I havent seen any options or instructions in the manual to add different pictures.

A link to some better tips and tricks would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 465
Steve, I have this HU, hopefully I can help you out a bit, unfortunately it's almost all "bad" news.

The iPod adapter (KCA-ip500) is a general Kenwood unit, so I'm not surprised it's not really talked about. I borrowed it from a friend of mine for about a week to try it out and HATED it. It locked up once in a while, and as you've discovered the display is pretty useless. Plus, setting up playlists and such is just a pain. The 2007+ units use the new KCA-ip300V which is a much better option. I use the AUX source for my iPod and just use the iPod to control the audio and I much prefer it that way. I'll be getting a new iPod soon (still running my 15GB 3G) and when I do I'm going to pick up an XtremeMac Roadshow to transfer audio and video to the 617, again still using the iPod controls, which I far prefer to any adapter I've used for any deck.

The deck is newish, but it's been out since June of last year (I got it in July). The 617 does NOT work with the KCA-BT100. The first unit that module worked with was the KVT-719 (see this site).

There is no way to change the background picture, plain and simple. Many of the Kenwood units are like that for some reason. There are maybe 4 stock backgrounds and they're all simple patterns and pretty much unimpressive. That's my one real complaint with the unit but it's a minor one for me.

Hope some of that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us