600 Watt Car amplifier for home use

Username: Mmajec

Provo, UT USA

Post Number: 1
I've read enough to understand the basic debate about using a car amp for home use. So I only have a few questions. I have a PC power supply that is rated to supply 17 Amps at 12v DC. I have an old Kenwood 600 Watt amplifier that has 20 amp fuses on it. I am not looking to hook up a bass system right now. Maybe a small woofer at most in the future(6x9 at largest). If I hook the amplifier up to the PC supply will it work or will it just sound crappy? The use of this amplifier is more for a coolness factor. I could get an inexpensive home system, but it just wouldn't be the same for my set-up. Thanks for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 179
you could use it, but i doubt your gunna get 600 watts outa it, expect to get about 150-200rms outa it, but when you do it make shure you dont play it loud enough that the amp cutts out, or you will fry your amp

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2417
17 amps is nowhere near enough even for a small amplifier.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 702
17 amps @ 12v is enough to provide ~150-200 watts. Even from a Kenwood.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1301
if it is 17A rms it's worth a try - it might get the job done. If it's 17A surge - I don't think it will be enough

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 58
i've read this before on many other places but don't quote me on it. i've heard u need to string at least 4 power supplys together to get decent power, and sustain it. keep in mine the power supply carrys a fuse. if u run it to hard besides blowin the amp, u could blow the power supplys internal fuse. thier just not practical to fix so keep in mind not to expect miracles. it's pretty much a ifl rating case. (if lighting strikes )

Username: Banginhard

Post Number: 3
do you know what converter i need to push my 4 kickers and a BA-4000 amp

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 69
a miracle... are u serious? you want that for home use? the only thing i can say is do home work on retail stores. find out what a retail store uses to power all it's amps and so on. powering something like that is just to far out of my knowledge. you would need like a massive amount esp for home use. like 200 amps maybe less. that would be like haveing maybe 20 or 30 atx power supplys i mean its highly un practical. your talkin a system that would just demand raw amounts of brute power for a house.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us