1 ohm amp

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Post Number: 187
I am looking at a Hifonics xxv Colossus amp to run three audioque subs they are dual two ohm. and they will wire down to 1.34 ohms. It is 1 ohm stable and will produce 1600 watts per channel. the amp will produce 3200 watts bridged at 2 ohm. would the amp work bridged at 1.34 ohms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
nvm i am going to go with the hifonics xxv thor 3000 watts rms at 1 ohm

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1708
matt

What audioque sub do you have?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2355
Remember that hifonics amp are overrated by about 20% so factor that that in....... they're also not the greatest quality but ok.

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 297
Not "all" Hifonics are overrated..The txi and brutus line yes, PPL kill with that one...The Colossus will do its rated power. Since you have 2ohm AQ I would say you have the HD3... I think you find a better amp in the same price range.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2359
" Not "all" Hifonics are overrated..The txi and brutus line yes, PPL kill with that one...The Colossus will do its rated power "

From a benchtest article of the XX Goilath:

" When I began to measure power levels, I found the power at 1.0% THD+N was a little lower than quoted in the specifications. After double checking all my measurements, I realized that Hifonics does not qualify their power figures with a distortion limit. By letting the amp run a little into clipping, I could get the claimed power from it, but at distortion levels around 2% to 5%. "

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0608_cae_hifonics_xx_goliath_amplifier/po wer_handling.html

I would imagine the XX Colossus would be similar since it's the same line.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
So where do you get 20% from M.S.
Quote"performance When I began to measure power levels, I found the power at 1.0% THD+N was a little lower than quoted in the specifications. After double checking all my measurements, I realized that Hifonics does not qualify their power figures with a distortion limit. By letting the amp run a little into clipping, I could get the claimed power from it, but at distortion levels around 2% to 5%. At no point during the power testing did the amp complain or show any sign of stress - it just kept cranking out gobs of power."

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2370
^^^^ Didn't I just post that, lol

In that test the amp was overrated by about 8%...... the Bxi and lower lines are known to be about 20%. The point is they are overrated, where as you claimed they do their rated power.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2372
^^^^ Didn't I just post that, lol

In that test the amp was overrated by about 8%...... the Bxi and lower lines are known to be about 20%. The point is they are overrated, where as you claimed they do their rated power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Where did I say the Brutus put out the rated power???? I said txi bruts yes...Meaning they are overrated..LOL ...Yes you did post that with out the part... "At no point during the power testing did the amp complain or show any sign of stress - it just kept cranking out gobs of power." PPl tend to forget things to prove there point

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2374
And how is that part relevant to this discussion?

I said hifonics amps are overrated (so what if I was off by how much). You said the XX line do their rated power. I posted a benchtest of an XX that was 8% overrated. Any more questions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
You dont even read what you post...the amp did its rated power..just not clean...your right 8%- 40% whats a few %. No more questions..

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2380
You really need to learn how amplifiers work before making these statements.......

If it was not "clean", it did not do it's rated power. Power ratings are taken at a maximum of 1% THD. That amp appeared to produce it's rated power at 2-5%, which is clipping.

If you crank the gain way up, an amp will appear to produce MUCH more than it actually can, since it's playing an almost fully clipped square wave.

Clipping is what happens when an amplifier is driven beyond it capabilities. If an amp does not produce a clean unclipped signal at it's rated power level, it is not rated accurately.

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
Ok will do...You need to learn Math and not to misquote...Im done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
well i will be powering three HD315 subs and the biggest i can do for a alt is 200 amps and that will be pushing it. so i need as much power as i can get but like i said i can only do 200 amps

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2383
Matt: Look into a Digital Designs Z1.... a used one in mint condition is about $900-$1000. They are not cheap, but they are one of the most efficient 12 volt amps I have ever seen. They do 4000+ watts on 12 volts.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
will that amp be too much for a 200 amp alt?

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1360
HA! yeah, it will be, but then again...most amps that put out that much power would be too much for that alt. Although, it does help that it's really efficient.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2399
Any amplifier big enough for three HD3 15"s is going to be pushing the limits with a 200 amp alt. The Z1 is highly efficient though, and I'll bet you could run 3000 watts (1000 to each sub) with daily music and not have too much voltage drop, if you get a big battery (i.e. Kinetik 2400 or similar)

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
well i have had a slight change of plans...i will only be using two HD315...what about the sundown SAZ-3000d when they come out?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us