Does Fuse Size Matter?

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 485
I just ordered a 1/0 Gauge wiring kit from knukoncepts and I ordered a 150A fuse, and they sent me a 250A fuse. I dont want to hassel with returns particularly, so is the 250A doable on my kx1200.1 amp? WHats the difference between 150A fuse and 250A fuse other than just the number?

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 453
well i had the same question no one answered yet... all i kno is 250 amps will be running threw that wire instead of 150 amps... it will pull more current from your battery... not sure if that can harm the amp or not... idk if the amp only pulls wat it needs or wat.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12738
i am getting rid of my fuses for the amps. don't need it if all connections are good.

don't do it guys. i want you guys to be safe.

for that amp 150amp fuse is enough.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4326
your fine with a 250a fuse

and chad dont get in a car crash otherwise your going to have a fire like that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
Does this mean im screwed on a stock battery? Would 150A fuse help this? I dont want my battery to die every time i bump

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 455
lol for stock batt and alt ur better off wilout an anl fuse, go 80 or something... wat kinda car?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2313
John:

A 250 amp fuse is fine for 1/0 wire, do not listen to people telling you otherwise. The fuse size is based on the wire gauge, not on the electrical system.

Read this:

http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12743
i thought you said you have the 150a fuse. i didn't realize they sent you the 250a.

either way it will be okay. 150 or 250. they will both work. if you read the manual of the kicker kx1200.1 they recomend you use a 150a fuse and up to the maximum fuse rating for the cable you are using.

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
Thanks M.S. Yea chad, I ordered a 150A, but got sent a 250A.. I dont want to mess with it so ill keep the 250A.

Im currently running my power wire through a hole just bigger than 8awg wire. Its hard as phuck to drill it bigger and somehow I got the wire up through, I have to feed it little by little in the most akward positions you could ever imagine..

I have the inline hooked up and the fuse in there, but the other end of the inline, opposite of the side that hooks to the battery is not in there yet. Im feeding it up through to it. There was a spark when that end of the fuse with no wire in it touched a metal screw under my hood. Is this bad? I dont think it did anything like break the fuse or w/e, is there anything i should check?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11472
if u use a much larger fuse than needed it means ur equipment will damage if there is a overload\short b4 the fuse blows ......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us