Home theatre sub in a car audio setup

Bronze Member
Username: Fac3l3ss

Post Number: 45
well i just have a question..has anyone here ever put a home theatre sub into their car? like an already self powered subwoofer? and what's it like? might be a newbish question but entertain me :-)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4955
Sadly...yes, i have seen this done.

A friend of mine bought a self powered home sub and a power inverter. He used the switch on the power inverter to turn the sub on and off...just hooked the RCA's to the HU.

It was sad.
(please, dont do this)

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 298
Do you know my my first system was? 2 Sony home stero speakers in the trunk to my Profile 80x4 amp. Belive it or not, it got slighty loud...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
ok i'm curious then will the jl audio 1000/1 monoblock subwoofer amp power 2 w6v2's as well as a couple of 6.5 component speakers up front of my car? i plan on only getting speakers at first but i need to know it it can all hook up right? :-)

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6386
"has anyone here ever put a home theatre sub into their car?"

No, but I have used a car sub in my HT.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
car subs outperform ht subs?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2301
Don't put an HT sub in a car. They are not built to withstand that environment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6388
When you're pushing 1000wrms, for the $$ a decent SQ car audio sub will work quite nicely. To get a 1000w HT sub from a home audio store you will spend tons more. It's almost brainwashing over negligible differences unless you're measuring with equipment. From my ears anyways. If pure clarity is your goal you wouldn't be looking for that kinda power for your sub anyway. I just like to shake stuff when I watch movies!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
:-) using a few abbreviations i don't even understand :-) very new to this

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 882
wrms = RMS/Continious wattage

$$ = money

SQ = Sound Quality

HT = Home Theater

"Any other brain busters" LL

Oh and LOL = Laugh Out Loud

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 883
HU = Head Unit

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2740
"ok i'm curious then will the jl audio 1000/1 monoblock subwoofer amp power 2 w6v2's as well as a couple of 6.5 component speakers up front"

No, the 1000\1 is a monoblock. Ontop of that you cant mix components with subs, by the time your giving your subs full power your overpowering the sh1t out of the components that are only putting out bass because of the freq. that is set on the amp.. prolly 60hz or lower you would need a Class A\B 2ch. amp for your front.. or jsut get a 4ch. so you can add the rear later... it will sound like crap having some on HU and some on amp..

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 125
The thing about home theather subs is that they are ment for a different use.

Car audio subs can be used in home theater setups, just need the design of the box and amp a bit different. For example I have a FI Q 15" sub in a 12cuft box tuned to 14Hz sending it about 1000 Wrms+. its crystal clear and goes subsonic so durring movies like war of the worlds everything in the room is shaking like an earthquake due to the low Fq.

They cost so much for the wattage/performance because they are not DIY and they are totally different designs. I for example spent about a $1000 on my box, sub, and amp the closest i have come to a comparable premade is the LJ Fantom sub ($3000)

Using a premade home theater sub in a car is just silly. inverters suck (unless you pay allot for the true sine wave ones) and they will not handle the demands of a amp on the sub. It can and will start a fire, seen it happen on a cheap inverter from too much constant load.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6399
Steve! Your HT sub setup sounds close to mine. Yours is tuned alot lower though and I'm running an 18" Q. Any pics you wanna post of it??????

Please?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us