Help me out fellas

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1786
so, i don't know whats going on with this. while i'm driving, my volts (according to my voltmeter connected directly to my batt) will frequently drop down to ~12.4 for no particular reason randomly. it will shoot back to ~14.4 eventually, but only for 10 min at most. i've had my electrical checked out and it registers good in all aspects. wtf is wrong here lol. could it be the meter?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6352
I had an 88' camaro that had a bad voltage regulator that gave me the same kind of problem. It would spike quickly then drop back down. It was blowing my headlights out. I had to replace the entire Alt cause the regulator was built in. The mechanic couldn't find the problem at first either cause it wasn't spiking all the time. I have no clue if that's what your problem is though.

Gold Member

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1788
hmm... sounds probable. also, my battery sucks at holding a charge. drops down quickly if i play my system on moderate volume while my car is off

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2698
is it when you give the alt. higher rpms by chance? I have a problem with mine where if i get the rpms 3500+ the power will drop to my battery floater voltage - whatever system and car is using..

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2457
It's definatley a problem with your alternator or voltmeter.Your batt will only produce about 12.5 volts by itself anyhow so for it to be spiking,there's a problem with your charging-obviously,it could be heat issues.

Gold Member

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1789
killa, no i can have it at w/e rpm and it will do this. however either way they both charge just like it would at 14.4 when im at a higher rpm

i'm thinking paul could be right. either that or the voltmeter like rob said. batt and alt outputs tested fine... i don't know if it could be a heat issue. this can happen even a min after i start my car. also, i experience no dimming or any sign of power loss in my car when it happens

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2463
Try testing everything with a DMM next to the voltmeter and see if there's any variance.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11456
y not take ur car to an technician & get ur electrical system checked ....

Gold Member

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1791
i did rovin lol. i'd like to try the dmm thing now. guess i'll have to go buy one...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6202
If your voltage fluctuates that much, then it's most likely the alternator/regulator.
You might also want to have the wires checked for rust. Sometimes when a car gets old, the joints start to corrode, yielding bad contact.
You mentioned that your battery is losing charge fast. That's cause it's not getting charged by the alternator. Use an external charger to top up your battery and then test it.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2701
If the battery doesnt hold the charge much.... maybe it is the battery thats dieing and giving you the problem? What kinda batt. is it and how much power does your system pull?

Gold Member

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1793
its an interstate batt i believe. i plan on putting in a kinetik after i take care of some other expenses first i'm pushing around 1500wrms, but i only let my voltage drop .3v max

Gold Member

F uck fuckid... Fi Audio

Post Number: 1794
bump ho

Silver Member
Username: Mike11202

DE US

Post Number: 513
that happens to me all the time.. wen i take my foot off the gas it spikes right back up, put it on and stays down

i have 2000watts rms off my stock 90 amp alt.. it only happens wen i have it really loud with slow driving

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2280
" i have 2000watts rms off my stock 90 amp alt "

That would be the reason, lol. You need an HO alternator for that amount of power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us