What the hell is wrong with MA audio?

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 409
ok i bought this amp awhile back ago... idk why http://www.bizrate.com/caramplifiers/ma-audio-m700xe-2-ch-amplifier--pid42600806 7/compareprices.html

not on that particular page, but on the manual .. and box it says.... 250 rmsx2 @ 4ohms... ok then it says 500 rmsx2 @2 ohms.... then it says 1000 watts MAX x 1 @ 4 ohms??? wdf... 1000 bridged @ 2, is the same as 500 x 2 @ 4ohm... so why the hell does it say this... can anyone tell me actually wat this amp is rated...

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck78

Post Number: 23
250w x 2 @ 4 ohms
500w x 2 @ 2 ohms

more or less, if you half the impedance(ohms) then you double your power output(watts)

Don't go by MAX power, go by RMS.

And yes, 1000 x 1 and 500 x 2 are the same power output, just the difference between bridged and unbridged.

What amount of power you will get is based on the impedance of your speakers and how you have them wired...

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1293
going by the fact that it has 2x25A fuses...it's not getting anywhere near 1000w. I'd say 600 on the high side.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1681
rick quigley

If you want to run one dual 2ohm sub then you can wire it to 4ohm bridged. And if you want to wire two dual 2ohm subs you can wire it to 2ohm stereo.

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 410
i dont think you guys are understanding what im saying....

the box says this exactly...

250x2 RMS @ 4 ohms
500x2 RMS @ 2ohms
1000x1 MAX @ 4 ohms

MY questions is... 500x2 , and 1000x 1 are the same exact thing just bridged.. so why in the hell is the 500x2 rms wattage... but the 1000x1 is max... it dont make sense.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2213
" going by the fact that it has 2x25A fuses...it's not getting anywhere near 1000w. I'd say 600 on the high side. "

Exactly. MA amps suck, and like Optidriven said it's way overrated, so all these ratings are irrelevant.

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 192
i think that they're saying thats the max rms power. i've seen a few other spec sheets like that. get it benched if you're still not sure...

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 292
Well I do have a Ma Audio HK-1998 3x30A fuses says 1200w rms @ 2 ohm. Tried 2 ohm didn't work, tried 1 ohm worked. Shouldn't 3x30A fuses be 1200 watts? And yea MA sucks @ss, took it out my car in working condition, let it sit a month, somebody wanted to buy it so we hook it up on his system the b*tch didn't even come on, Ma made me f*ckin look stupid

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 120
I like ma's monoblock amps. Haven't had one even go into protect much less crap out on me. Their hk-401 sx is a pretty well built amp, almost 3 years strong on my end. Maybe I just got lucky.

As for the bridging, I have heard that it lessens sq to bridge 2 or 4 channel amps.
You miss range is what some dude on here was saying a few months back.
I don't know if he knew what he was talking about or not, I generally don't to bridge because if it's not a d class amp I like to stay @ 4 ohms even if it says stable @ 2 (thanks to my sony experience).

But if that guy was right then the difference between 500x2 and 1000x1 bridged would be sq.

I'm actually curious as to whether anyone can verify this...

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 377
With 500x2 you have a right channel and a left channel. With 1000x1 you just have one mono channel. That would be the only difference.

I'm going to post some numbers up from my hk4000d and SX 18s this weekend. We'll see how much MA sucks......

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2231
^^^^ So that will prove what, that your system is loud (I don't doubt that it is)

A DB score says nothing about the QUALITY of the equipment used.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4572
MA audio overall quality=bad.

Their best choice is matt's amp. Good and powerful, but overrated. For the budget is an awesome choice

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
What would say something about the quality of equipment then? Obviously my personal experiences mean nothing(I'm referring my experiences other than on the meter).

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2722
most 1000rms~ amps would have 3x40A fuses... first sign to look for(unless they have internal breakers)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2486
Fu©k MA Audio.Reppin MMATS all day :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4587
some can put 1000w+ with 3x30A fuses. for example check lanzar vibe 1200d

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 875
once again...Upload I believe that MA Audio ratings are at 17+ volts..

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 876
"I believe that MA Audio ratings are at 17+ volts.." .. or at least the ratings they tell you are..JMO

Here is their website and their HK4000D is only 4000 watts at 17+ volts... Hifonics are less overrated..JMO Just hought you should know since the HK series is the best they got.. http://www.maaudio.com/assets/Image/Catalog/MA_CAT_2007.pdf Scroll down to page 4..

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
Thats comes as no suprise to anyone who knows anything about the hk4000d.

4000w @ 2 on 17

3600w @ 2 on 14

Only the lower end Hifonics amps are overrated by the way. Their high end stuff is underrated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2570
Anyone who knows anything about MA Audio will stay away from their products.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12243
"Only the lower end Hifonics amps are overrated by the way. Their high end stuff is underrated."

^^^BS...its all overrated...when ran within its limits...

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2405
LOL @ Rob's post.......

and X2 to Chauncey, here's a benchtest of an XX Goliath where it was found to be overrated:

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0608_cae_hifonics_xx_goliath_amplifier/po wer_handling.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/20/13482.html

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2467
Do any of those people have any proof to dispute the test I posted?

The amp did 4696 watts. It's rated for 5000. Now last time I checked 4696 < 5000, as in overrated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
The article reads: " I realized that Hifonics does not qualify their power figures with a distortion limit. By letting the amp run a little into clipping, I could get the claimed power from it, but at distortion levels around 2% to 5%. At no point during the power testing did the amp complain or show any sign of stress - it just kept cranking out gobs of power."

There you have it. The Goliath does its rated power, just not @ 1% THD. And before you start lecturing me on THD, read this:

"Total Harmonic Distortion:
When an amplifier is driven with a signal, the output of the amplifier is an amplified version of the input signal PLUS any distortion created by the amplifier. All amplifiers and signal processors add distortion to the signal. The levels of harmonic distortion in a high quality amplifiers are sooooo far below audibility that they are basically of no concern. When someone tells you that one amplifier is definitely going to sound better because its THD is rated at .002% vs an amp with .05%, you can be pretty sure that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Many people believe that THD below 1% is not audible and I believe they're probably correct. The fact is, especially in an automobile, the amplifier is the least of your worries. Speakers used for mids and highs commonly produce between 1% an 5% THD and for subwoofers the numbers can easily reach 10%. This doesn't even take into account all of the resonances of all of the plastic and metal panels in the vehicle."

Also, check my thread again:
http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/20/13482/2.html

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2479
Lol you could make an amp appear to produce 3x it's rated power if you ran it far into clipping.......

I for one prefer not to have my amps producing a clipped signal

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
Well that's good for you MS. But it seems like you're the only one who thinks that the high end Hifonics amps don't do their power, so keep on thinking that. It may not do 5000w @ 1% THD, but it does do 5000w @ acceptable THD levels for subwoofers.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 240
Ive used MA Audios HK series monoblock amplifiers and have had no complaints. They are rated at 17+ volts but for the price they aren't as bad as you all make them out to be.

i gave my friend my MA Audio HK400d amp that ive had for 3 years. still runs like a chap. never had problems with it.

i replaced that amp with the HK401sx. real nice amp.

ill be comparing the Treo SSX750.1 with the HK401sx this weekend. anyone know if this amp is 1 ohm stable?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2654
Check out some real quality Matt.

http://mmatsproaudio.com/classd.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 4611
"ill be comparing the Treo SSX750.1 with the HK401sx this weekend. anyone know if this amp is 1 ohm stable?"

They can't be compared man. Treo all the way, in output and quality.

We aren't saying MA hk4000d is bad for the price, but overall is overrated. 17V ratings are meaningless

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
"Check out some real quality Matt.

http://mmatsproaudio.com/classd.html"

I would get a Maxxsonics amp over MMATS any day. That's my opinion....

"We aren't saying MA hk4000d is bad for the price, but overall is overrated. 17V ratings are meaningless"

I guess you are back to talking about MA Audio; for a while the thread had been on Hifonics. If you are a competitor, the 17v ratings could definitely be relevant.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2658
"I would get a Maxxsonics amp over MMATS any day. That's my opinion.... "

ROFL!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
Keep laughing when I buy a MM4000.1 and it puts its d!ck in your MMATS azz.

Bronze Member
Username: Ballinonabudget

Post Number: 17
HAHAHAHAHA.....Autotek > Hifonics > MA.....^^^Worthless post. Let me guess matt....you read up on termpro for a little while, met up with Ronnie and now you know everything about car audio. The link you gave above to the termpro thread about this is worthless. If I was sponsored by, owned or worked for maxxsonics, I wouldnt say anything bad about them either.....please die in a fire bit(h!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
another thing....why are you getting the autotek, after you just got done polishing maxxsonics nuts for this whole thread? sounds like you need a goliath.....a goliath cokk shoved up your @ss, salad tossing bit(h boy

Gold Member

Post Number: 4617
matt changed from a guy with a doubt to an idiot. If you check the thread, it says what's wrong with ma audio. They're overrated that's it. 17V ratings are meaningless. If you have a 17V charging system, show it to me, i'll pay you.

Mmats is way better than all mentioned but that's not the point.

I don't know why people learn only bad things. Matt, if you know when a brand is bad, why do you have to die for it. Obviously is overrated, but you can say, it puts decent amount of power and for the price can't be compared. Then we say, that's true. But no, you're saying MA audio is the SH1t, like autotek.

Go to termpro and read a lil bit more cuz you're just posting cr4ppy things right now.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2489
"I would get a Maxxsonics amp over MMATS any day. That's my opinion.... "

"ROFL!!!! "

ROFL x2. No way maxxsonics amps are better than MMATS.

" It may not do 5000w @ 1% THD, but it does do 5000w @ acceptable THD levels for subwoofers "

That depends on what you consider acceptable..... 1% is the industry standard and the level that most respectible compaines use.

" another thing....why are you getting the autotek, after you just got done polishing maxxsonics nuts for this whole thread? "

Maxxsonics owns Autotek.

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
BallinOnABudget: Go back to the hole you crawled out of.
Just FYI, http://www.maxxsonics.com/

Juliob:
I said: "If you are a competitor, the 17v ratings could definitely be relevant."
You said: "17V ratings are meaningless. If you have a 17V charging system, show it to me, i'll pay you."
Here you go:
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/spl_alternators.html
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/16v_battery_charger.html
From excessiveamperage.com: "This unit has a set voltage of 14.6 V or can be used with an external regulator that can be adjusted up to 20 volts."
You can charge 16V batteries to 17V or higher if you want. But as you can see there are also alternators that do well over 17V. There you go.

"you're saying MA audio is the SH1t"

Never said that, and I didn't imply that. Julio, you are aware that the MA's are also rated at 14V, right? Yes they are overrated, however, the 17V rating is relevant for competitors who use those voltage levels.

MS: "ROFL x2. No way maxxsonics amps are better than MMATS."

What makes you say this? I just want to hear your opinion since you already know mine. Is it build quality, price, warranty, customer service, power output, efficiency, sound quality, or what?

"That depends on what you consider acceptable..... 1% is the industry standard and the level that most respectible compaines use."

In my opinion, getting the rated power @ 2% to 5% THD would be acceptable for a subwoofer amp seeing as THD that low would be almost imperceptible.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Such hostility over a simple discussion of car audio. Die in a fire and such, I mean really.

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
Yea....BallinOnABudget was really out of line with his posts. I don't know who he thinks he is.

I hope I didn't piss anyone off with my line "Keep laughing when I buy a MM4000.1 and it puts its d!ck in your MMATS azz."

........I should have thrown an 'lol' behind it because I meant that in a joking manner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2668
""Keep laughing when I buy a MM4000.1 and it puts its d!ck in your MMATS azz."

The MM 4000.1 may put out more power than the MMATS but the efficiency on that won't even come close.Smart people know that efficient products are far better than the not-so-efficient products.The draw to output ratio from the MMATS line in comparison to the MM line would be funny.The MM4k.1 doesn't impress me at all,I can find plenty of other amps that do that power for near the same price,maybe more,maybe less.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20

quote:

" another thing....why are you getting the autotek, after you just got done polishing maxxsonics nuts for this whole thread? "

Maxxsonics owns Autotek.

oops, meant hifonics. of course I know maxxsonics owns autotek.

I mostly said what I did for sh!ts and giggles but then again, there is alot of truth in jest......

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Then you should know that maxxsonics owns hifonics as well as autotek...

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2508
Quality: This is the determining factor when choosing between two amps with similar power output. Since it's impossible to measure, it is based on the reputation of the manufacturer.

Price: This is not a factor when determining how good an amplifier is. It is the limiting factor when deciding what to purchase though.

Warranty and customer service: Irrelevant if you're buying good equipment. Warrantys don't usually cover user error, and if you're buying high quality equipment, it has a very slim chance of breaking on it's own.

Efficiency: An important factor to consider unless it's a low power amplifier.

Sound quality: Not exactly the right term to use. Amplifiers are transparent, they don't alter the SQ. Damping factor and THD are important though. An amp with a low DF may not have enough control over the speaker, but once it gets to about 100+ it becomes irrelevant. THD is how much the amp distorts the signal when producing it's rated power. 1% is considered the max acceptable level. This also becomes irrelevant at very low levels, since it's almost impossible to hear very small amounts of distortion.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1345
"Then you should know that maxxsonics owns hifonics as well as autotek..."

dont forget crunch, and mb quart.....So you think that all of the aformentioned are created equal?? I think it is safe to assume that the higher lines use better parts and technology. Like MS said, when comparing same power amps, quality should play a big factor. JMO

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
"The MM 4000.1 may put out more power than the MMATS but the efficiency on that won't even come close.Smart people know that efficient products are far better than the not-so-efficient products.The draw to output ratio from the MMATS line in comparison to the MM line would be funny.The MM4k.1 doesn't impress me at all,I can find plenty of other amps that do that power for near the same price,maybe more,maybe less."

Smart people would also know that more power equals more Db's (if you have the charging system to back it up, which I do). Autotek also claims less current draw because of their super class d technology. I can't personally attest to this since I don't have an Autotek amp(right now), but it sounds very promissing.
http://www.maxxsonics.com/autotek/mm_amps_SuperD.html

MS: I think both the MMATS and Autotek shine in all those catergories......

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
"The MM4k.1 doesn't impress me at all,I can find plenty of other amps that do that power for near the same price,maybe more,maybe less."

I forgot to ask you to name a few. So please do so. And how much do you think I'm paying for it? You needed to know that before you made your above statement.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2699
"I forgot to ask you to name a few. So please do so. And how much do you think I'm paying for it? You needed to know that before you made your above statement."

I can't help you.You already know everything so there's no point in me attempting to list products that are better or give you any form of advice.I'm not even sure why you're on Ecoustics because you act like you know everything,now I know you never said you were "King Sh1t" but you sure do act like it.That being said you don't need me to name anything because you're so full of knowledge that I'm sure you already know which amps I'm speaking of.

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
"I can't help you.You already know everything so there's no point in me attempting to list products that are better or give you any form of advice.I'm not even sure why you're on Ecoustics because you act like you know everything,now I know you never said you were "King Sh1t" but you sure do act like it.That being said you don't need me to name anything because you're so full of knowledge that I'm sure you already know which amps I'm speaking of."

Hmmmm.....that sounds like something somebody would say if they were cornered and could not answer a question.

I think your problem, Rob, is that you don't like to be challenged.

And why am I on Ecoustics? For entertainment and to help others.

Julio: Anything to say about 17V charging systems? Don't go leaving the thread......

Gold Member

Post Number: 4619
Sorry... i was out for a few days. About 17V charging system, i asked personally. Do you have a 17V charging system? No, i think.

So in that case, those ratings are meaningless? am i right? yes, sure.

If you have a competitor's charging system, then my bad and keep using 17V rated products.

IMO, M S is very objective, even if you're agaisnt him, his posts are important. Maybe mine aren't but they have some reality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4620
"If you have a 17V charging system, show it to me, i'll pay you".

That's what i posted. I was referring to you, not to competitors

Gold Member

Post Number: 2703
Hey Matt,out of curiosity what classes has Deaf Squad taken?

Silver Member

Post Number: 445
"About 17V charging system, i asked personally. Do you have a 17V charging system? No, i think."

No, I do not have a 17V charging system.

"So in that case, those ratings are meaningless? am i right? yes, sure."

No, you are not right. The 17V ratings do have a meaning. They state what the amplifiers output "should" be at 17V. If you are running the amp at 14V then look at the 14V rating.

You would have a reasonable argument against the 17V ratings if that was the only voltage level the amps were rated at, and MA tried to trick people into buying an amp rated at a voltage they would probably never use. But since MA also rates their amps at 14V and cleary displays the difference in power ouput between 14V and 17V you have no reason for complaint. Also, MA only offers the 17V ratings for the larger amps that have the potential to run at that voltage.

ps....I know MA amps are overrated, and your tirade about 17V ratings was completely pointless.

"Hey Matt,out of curiosity what classes has Deaf Squad taken?"

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I'll take a stab at answering anyway. Deaf Squad has not 'taken any classes.' Deaf Squad is a loosely formed group of audio enthusiasts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2717
I thought you guys had taken some classes in the lanes.17 volt systems really aren't practical for a daily driver but are you going to run a 17 volt charging system?

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
"I thought you guys had taken some classes in the lanes."

I'm not sure. I'll have to ask Ronnie the next time I talk to him.

"17 volt systems really aren't practical for a daily driver but are you going to run a 17 volt charging system?"

I agree, 17V daily drivers aren't really that practical. Although a lot of the serious bass racers and daily pounders are now using 16V systems. But to answer your question, I don't plan on running a 17V system...just 12/14 for now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4624
^^^^there you go. Why buying an amp putting rated power at 17V if you're not giving the juice?? for me that's meaningless.

My tirade wasn't pointless, it has a point. To show you that a 17V amp isn't practical or useful when you don't have the correct charging system. You are aware of that, you just don't want to recognize that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 449
Try rereading my statement, then maybe you will get it:
"You would have a reasonable argument against the 17V ratings if that was the only voltage level the amps were rated at, and MA tried to trick people into buying an amp rated at a voltage they would probably never use. But since MA also rates their amps at 14V and cleary displays the difference in power ouput between 14V and 17V you have no reason for complaint. Also, MA only offers the 17V ratings for the larger amps that have the potential to run at that voltage."

What you said:
"Why buying an amp putting rated power at 17V if you're not giving the juice??"

I bought an amp rated at 3600w on 14V. The 14V rating is what concerns me because that is voltage I will be using. I'm glad MA included the 17V rating because I may use that voltage in the future.

Don't be so dense Julio. Your tirade about 17V is pointless and unfounded. Since when is it a problem for a manufacturer to include extra information in addition to the typical ratings? Would you be complaing if DD gave a 17V rating with the Z2 or if Sundown Audio gave a 10V rating with the 1500d[in addtion to the 14V ratings]? It's extra information that some of us appreciate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
I guess you finally got it Julio......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I dont think he got it....I think he just gave up. You have to choose your battles, and there is no point in arguing with somebody like you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
It's always a smart idea to give up when you are wrong. There was no point in arguing with me because I was correct. These people don't like having what they say challenged. That's not my problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
ok matt.....I wanna see some personal benchtests on some hifo amps....Pics with username and date will suffice. wait....I know, you dont have the equipment to test???

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
Dummy......I was talking about the 17V ratings on the hk4000d. Like I said earlier, go back to the hole you crawled out of.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I was referring to you, running and crying over to termpro about hifo being overrated....dummy. So I would like to see benchtest result pics with your screen name and date.....whats the matter? Cant? Didnt think so. So I would like to know how you know that hifo isnt overrated. Going by what somebody told you??

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
Dummy......I was talking about the 17V ratings on the hk4000d. Like I said earlier, go back to the hole you crawled out of.

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
Are you Julio's b!tch or something?? Trying to carry on his BS argument....

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1354
this thread is still going??

Silver Member

Post Number: 467
http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/20/13487.html

Suck on that ballin....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4637
i stopped posting cuz i thought this thead was over. I still think 17V ratings are meaningless when you have a stock charging system, or any that doesn't keeps 17V IMO.

14V ratings are ok, cuz they're real and logical.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us