Full system Upgrade Suggestions

Bronze Member
Username: Aaron_c

Arkansas

Post Number: 54
Hey everybody, I've got new plans with my audio system. I currently have two 05CVR 12's in a sealed box, powered by a Power Acoustik TS1920-2 amplifier.

For around $550, what would be a good upgrade? I need SQ, but want SPL also lol. Refurbished sub suggestions are fine, I see no problem with it. Allow $80 for my box.

thanks guys

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 55
Forgot to add, I'm wanting two subs and an amplifier to push them. I'd like to have the loudest system possible for the money, while trying to retain my SQ for my rock and country music.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1212
mabey same amp and 2 Audioque SD2.5's or some DD3512's or mabey some RD classic's or possibly 2 TC-1000's or even wait untill the new AA line comes out.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4264
not much of a budget. why not try to get a better amp and port the cvr's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1214
if you want all new....

2 15"
http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4199

^^^i no not the best amp but for his price range it will give at least 1000rms and i no from experiance that those subs bang hard.

or if u wanna spend a little more for some more bump..

2 DD 3515's
www.ddaudio.com

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3804

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4266
i looked up the specs on that amp. if right it only does about 320wrms each channel and 800wrms birdged. i still say either up the budget and get all new better stuff, or just port the cvr's and see if you like them better then.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 56
Snarl, which AudioQue's are you recommending, the SD2 15's? I think I can afford those, but at 300w rms and 900w peak, they would be less powerful than my Comp VR's. Do you still think they would sound better?

Also, about porting the box...will that not hurt sound quality much? And are CVR's pretty close to being one of the best 'bang for the buck' subs?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4267
1) don't ever go off peak or max ratings, go off rms. even then that doesn't tell you how loud a sub will be.

as far as better than the cvr, haven't personally heard the sd2 yet but everything i've read about them people seem really happy. and yes porting the box will hurt the sq a bit. but just port it low and you'll still retain some and still gain a little output.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 57
Well, what about the AudioQue 12? With two 15's, I'd worry about losing some SQ, where I'm looking to possibly gain a little with the new ones. Would the Audioque 12's be superior to the CVR 12's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1220
There will be a gain if you got Audioque. I have 2 12" SD2.5's for my truck. They sound very nice and get loud enought for me. I got vids if u want. Ive got a SD2 12" for my room and it is a very nice sub. Deffinitly more Sq then the SD2.5 but over all nice. I would reccomend the SD2.5 over the SD2. Also my friend has 2 15" SD2.5's in his truck and they get noticibly luder then mine. Neither of your systems have been meterd though. I like the SQ in mine better but there is hardly a difference in SQ between the 12" and 15" versions. If you have the room i would go for the 15". If you get it make sure u ask DJ to make you up some plans cuz if there not in the right box they will sound like sh!t.

----------------------
If you look through these vids the ones that just say SD2.5 are mine (12") and the ones that say james in the title are my friends 15" subs.. He made his box at my house so i put his subs in my truck to test them out. In the vidss the subs are gettign 500rms each. In the later vids of my subs they are broken in for about a month where in james' vids that was the second time they had ever been played.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=snarl2004

Gold Member

Post Number: 1221
on second thoughts i would get the 12" for just driving around. Take less space and does have better SQ. If ur gunna do any comps then mabey thyink about the 15's

also in the vids above the one labled SD2.5 power are the latest vid of my subs and they are broken in the best...also the best movie.

Also my subs are ran on a stock alt, stock batt and no big 3 upgrade. i need to do it cuz of the dimming of lights as you can see in one of the vids.....

hope that helps

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2197
SD2.5s, not the the 2. And you don't lose SQ with larger subs.

Two Audioque SD2.5 and Hifonics 1206d would be the best I can think of for $550

Gold Member

Post Number: 1222
couldnt have thought of a better idea myself m.s

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 58
Snarl, your videos sold me on the Audioques. Those are some bad speakers. Anyway, here's the current plan:

Two Audioque 12" SD2.5
*Snarl's amp if i can afford it

*Of course, next question is: what amp are you running?

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1001
^^^ Snarl wannabe

<<<------------- holy sh!t im gold !

Gold Member

Post Number: 1223
well im using an Earthquake PH2000W/D1.1 (i like it cuz its green and shiny :-) ) but anyway i got it on ebay 310 shipped and i think it retails somewhere around 600ish. You could get a Nine.1 got 365. Also if you call eD they might have some b-stock amsp left(basicly referbished but work perfectly) so ide call and ask. I would deffinitly reccomend getting a better amp then the Hifonics though thats a last option if you rly dont have any money and are to impacient to wait and get a better one. You might consiter getting this amp:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4676
it would be perfect for those subs.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 59
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm going with the AudioQues for sure, and we'll see about the amp, depending on my money situation.

I'm going to post a video of my Comp VR's in a couple of minutes when it uploads, so tell me what you guys think about the current setup, and if you think I'll notice a major difference in the new one.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2199
No offense to Snarl but Earthquake amps are not that great...... I would definitely get the Hifonics or even better the Orion over them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1225
i agree there not great but i would go: Hifonics<Earthquake<Orion

i got this amp befor i knew too much about this kinda stuff. Ive kinda regreted getting it and would have rather bought a Nine.1 or that orion but i have this and it has been working perfectly for me, it makes my subs pound so im satisfied and i dont rly have the money (or feel like spending the money) to get a new amp at the moment

but i understand wut ur saying (there not the best)

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 60
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1967462839335929137
^There's the current setup

And I think I'll spring for the Orion if at all possible, and if not, the Hifonics. Like I said, let me know what you think about my current setup and what kind of difference I can expect with the new one.

thanks again

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2201
It's impossible to judge a system through a video, but SD2.5s should be better than CVRs.

IF and I stress IF they're in a good box that is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1226
ide say a big incrase spesually cuz those things arnt moving much at all. Also wut kinda car u have?

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 61
It's a 1999 Dodge Dakota club cab

Gold Member

Post Number: 1227
if you decide to get them email DJ when u buy them and tell him ur maximum dimensions and he will draw you up some box plans. If you use a prefab box, the wrong box or just any box that isnt designed for those subs they WILL sound bad.

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 62
Okay, what is DJ's email? Or where can I get it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1228
sales@audioque.com

its on the website www.audioque.com

Bronze Member

Arkansas

Post Number: 63
Okay cool, thanks Snarl.

Gold Member