How do local audio shops warrantys work...

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 395
In general how do MOST work, i kno u cant tell me exactly cuz ur not the store... but here let me tell u what im tryign to do... about a year ago i bought 2 Rockford p3s for 300$... got a year warranty... the subs work perfectly fine nothign wrong, im not using them now cuz i have an mb quart... but on the one sub there is just one lil scratch on the cone, not on the rubber or nething just on the cone... so my question is can i take these subs back and get the 07' model brand new for free? or will i have to pay something? should i just blow the subs n take em back or wat?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4256
if they work perfectly fine then i highly doubt they'll exchange them, especially for free. scratch on the cone, unless it was there when you got it, is simply a cosmetic thing caused by the owner, maybe an installer if you didn't do it at which point they'd be responsible, not rf. and when you say blow the subs, if you burn the vc's they won't do anything for you. every warranty i can remember seeing states that a burnt vc is not covered.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4931
Unless you can produce a receipt, some shops will not warranty anything.

This is how our shop does warranty:
-Must have receipt. (But we keep everyone on file, so if they dont have a receipt we can look them up and warranty...we are nice :-))

-User error not covered (ex: holes in cones)

-One over the counter exchange per sale. (You can just keep smoking subs and bringing them back, after 1 or 2 returns you have to send it off...we will print you a copy of your receipt if needed.)

-$15 service charge (we have to ship the subs off).

As far as getting the new RF subs at a shop, you will prolly have to pay the difference in price and a service charge.

Shops have to be carefull on who and what the warranty...there are ALOT of retards out there that think they can blow subs once a month and keep getting them replaced.

For example:
We installed 2 MTX 5515's w/ a MTX 5601 in a car awhile back. A month later, the guy shows up w/ a blown 15....I go and check out his car. ALL the amps controls were turned all the way to the right!!!!(bass boost, SSF, Xover, gain, light controls, EVERYTHING!!!) All this retard 'knew' was "turn it to the right, it get louder". He said 'his boy' set the amp for him because they way we did it was wrong. I showed him what he had done, told him this is 'user error' and most shops would not warranty it. But i pulled the sub and warrantied it anyways. (we are the new shop in town and are trying to gain costumers)

....on a side note...
Since I started working at a shop, I realized something....ALOT of people 'know some guy' that blew out his windows :-)...and that was the loudest system they ever heard. Yet, when they sit in my truck...they are speechless. (only does 149's)

I know have a standing $100 bet that my 1 15" is louder and any local's system w/ similar power. (No one has taken the bet yet...but I only offer it to people that talk trash at our shop...they are the 'smart' ones)

We had one guy come in and say he had never built a system that didnt do AT LEAST 155dB...i was off that day and i'm just waiting for him to come back to the shop :-)

Silver Member

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 397
well i called them awile back and asked them if i could exchange them for the newer model they said bring em in n we will look at em... didnt tell me about no price or anything... this was before i scratched the dam cone... then i just decided to hold onto them... idk maybe ill give em a call today.

Silver Member

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 398
aight so i just called em they said they dont exchange it unless its blown, but they can do a trade in if i bring it by theyl look at it... i said can u give me the maximum u wuld give for best condition they cant... id prolly only get liek 150$ for both huh

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1197
canaan are you in colledge and work part time at the audio shop?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4934
Yes.

Toxicology major/installer/box builder/sales/pawns
:-)

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1198
nice